Ottawa U18 Part 4

freeagent

Jul 21, 2015
U18 has a problem. It is seen by players, parents, and many admins to be a Junior operation. The League needs more openness and needs to be run like a Minor Hockey organization. It needs to abide by the rules for Minor Hockey, just like every other Minor Hockey Association. How many go to the OHL, CCHL, etc. is not as important as treating the 240 non-Academy players fairly.

I have no issue with Midget AAA being run like a junior operation on a net cost basis. HEO U18 has resulted in better coaching, a more engaged league with better promotion of players, social media presence and community, and whether people here agree or not, a defined development path to Jr A that some clubs are promoting. HEO U18 has its shortcomings, but the narrow focus of 'junior out of minor' over these means we forget that the league is run better than most others in Ontario and it is still developing as a league. HEO Minor should allow HEO Midget AAA to continue, but while exercising the oversight it should have made from year 1. Make clubs report on team finances at the club level and help with ice scheduling. Let's remember Minor AAA has its own issues and is far from perfect. Every Minor AAA parent here I am sure has a list of minor AAA grievances too. Lets be honest and not forget those.

Midget AA went back to Minor/Major this year and two well established clubs (Kanata, UOV Aces) chose to fold their Minor Midget teams this season. If we revert to HEO Minor 5 AAA club Minor/Major Midget format, I would be suspicious that the motivation is is to prop up minor AAA, AA and Rep B organizations that have seen players move up.

Reverting to Minor/Major Midget AAA under HEO Minor with 5 clubs is the last thing we should do. All midget players deserve better than being the subject to another Midget format change. HEO Minor should keep HEO U18 under its umbrella while exercising oversight to ensure the player's best interests continue to be promoted.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Ok this statement is a long time coming on U18... how is the coaching better at U18 than it was when it was minor and major midget AAA? A lot of the same guys coaching.....

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I have no issue with Midget AAA being run like a junior operation on a net cost basis. HEO U18 has resulted in better coaching, a more engaged league with better promotion of players, social media presence and community, and whether people here agree or not, a defined development path to Jr A that some clubs are promoting. HEO U18 has its shortcomings, but the narrow focus of 'junior out of minor' over these means we forget that the league is run better than most others in Ontario and it is still developing as a league. HEO Minor should allow HEO Midget AAA to continue, but while exercising the oversight it should have made from year 1. Make clubs report on team finances at the club level and help with ice scheduling. Let's remember Minor AAA has its own issues and is far from perfect. Every Minor AAA parent here I am sure has a list of minor AAA grievances too. Lets be honest and not forget those.

Midget AA went back to Minor/Major this year and two well established clubs (Kanata, UOV Aces) chose to fold their Minor Midget teams this season. If we revert to HEO Minor 5 AAA club Minor/Major Midget format, I would be suspicious that the motivation is is to prop up minor AAA, AA and Rep B organizations that have seen players move up.

Reverting to Minor/Major Midget AAA under HEO Minor with 5 clubs is the last thing we should do. All midget players deserve better than being the subject to another Midget format change. HEO Minor should keep HEO U18 under its umbrella while exercising oversight to ensure the player's best interests continue to be promoted.

First of thank you for helping me post again. Please read the last two years of my posts. Oh well hear we go again.
Bold 1
Better Coaching. OMG,
The following teams have HEO minor coaches:
Navan AAA,Smith Falls AAA, Nepean AAA, Hawksbury AAA, Pembroke AAA, Kemptville AA
The following teams have coaches that never coached before that I know of;
Carleton Place, OJS,
Rockland has a coach that coached pro in the UK.
These three teams coaches I know nothing about; Kanata, Cornwall,Brockville
Set up poll and ask the parents and players if the coaching is better.
Could it be any clearer, Coaching has not improved. It might have gone down.
Underlined 1 Stop listening to the propaganda minster and make up your own mind.
The CCHL has reduced the number of HEO area players in the CCHL the last 3 years. Fact.
Bold 2
SM is the President of U18 and was put in place by HEO Minor. She has failed HEO Minor miserably and is a puppet for KA. This is also on HEO Minor because they have never called her out.
Underline 2
The financials are on SM and HEO Minor, the bean counter for U18 is the same bean counter as the CCHL, who do you think he answers to. The ice is bought by the league and someone is getting a volume kick back. Not the parents.
Bold 3 You would be correct. 1 for you.
Bold 4 Sorry but there would be no change for the bantam players they would just play Minor Midget together as they are this year. Minus the ones that move. The change would be for the second year Midgets.

Thanks for making my day.

Last edited:

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
In the wake of the tragedy of last weekend, I do like the fact that the teams are coming together to show unity and support for #WolfPackStrong. Having said that, I really do hope that the coaches are also taking the time to have private conversations with their teams about this senseless accident. As a parent, I can talk to my child until I'm blue in the face and hopefully some of it will sink in, maybe it won't, unfortunately that's the way it goes, but a message coming from their coach, someone who isn't their parent really does go a long way. Nothing harsh like "Your underage, don't drink", that's pointless to say. But something like "Guys, be responsible, if you drink, call a taxi, call a parent, call a teammate".

I know there are coaches on this board, I certainly hope you step up to the task.

RIP Brandon and Alex

Reactions: nothappy

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The teams for Marlies and Peterbourgh tournaments were announced yesterday. Congratulations to the players going. Good luck play your best and have fun.
Did I not see on the HEO Midget website in the president’s call out to its players about the Peterbourgh tournament that the teams would have non-parent coaches? What happened to that idea?

Coyotes1

Mar 23, 2016
The teams for Marlies and Peterbourgh tournaments were announced yesterday. Congratulations to the players going. Good luck play your best and have fun.
Did I not see on the HEO Midget website in the president’s call out to its players about the Peterbourgh tournament that the teams would have non-parent coaches? What happened to that idea?
I have beeen following the HEO Midget AAA league from afar since its creation. I am curious how HEO got sanction to send essentially all-star teams to club team tournaments? If I was a club team already registered to play there I might not be happy?

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Went to scout a Bantam AAA game tonight what a game , gave anxiety about going to watch crap tomorrow. Lets all pray the experiment is over for next season

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Anybody know why the Rockland vs OHA Game was canceled for last night?
No notice?
No tweets?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Question, Hockey Canada is having meetings in Ottawa this weekend? Staying at the Château Laurier?
Is this how Hockey Canada spends it money? I guess they could not find a more expensive hotel to put its people in. Well they do have over 20 million in reserve so spending kids money is not and issue.
I love this game. I now know why some people can BS Hockey Canada and get away with it.
KA will be wearing all of his many hats this weekend.
Look for tweets.
If this does not keep you up at night I don't know what will.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Sorry, I get that when you question the U18 Clarke trolls you, but one of the big ‘selling’ points for the U18 was that no tournaments meant saving money and it was not needed. I remember Terry Nichols saying they don’t need tournaments to get kids drafted and that they where over rated.

So now they are going to two tournaments? Didn’t these guys say it was a waste? They told everyone who said tournaments where needed that they were out to lunch. What changed?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Sorry, I get that when you question the U18 Clarke trolls you, but one of the big ‘selling’ points for the U18 was that no tournaments meant saving money and it was not needed. I remember Terry Nichols saying they don’t need tournaments to get kids drafted and that they where over rated.

So now they are going to two tournaments? Didn’t these guys say it was a waste? They told everyone who said tournaments where needed that they were out to lunch. What changed?

What changed? Nothing, this was always in there plans from day one. It just took 2 years for KA and SM to lobby the powers that be to break long standing rules of Hockey Canada to allow players to play in sanctioned events while on another team.
Panic!! Does league administration believe the pilot will continue? HEO moved the U18 league under its control but HEO Minor won its appeal with Hockey Canada and are suppose to administrate all minor hockey in the HEO area. They have chosen not to make any changes to the U18 league at this time. Will they? Lets hope they have a plan and are going to move forward with a plan for the next season.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Are the 02 All-star teams going to the Marlies tourney or just Peterborough?

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Just seems odd that everyone is 100% certain they are going to the Marlies, but Abrams hasn't tweeted anything about it yet. Marlies tournament is a much bigger draw than Peterborough is but there has only been official confirmation on the Peterborough one.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just seems odd that everyone is 100% certain they are going to the Marlies, but Abrams hasn't tweeted anything about it yet. Marlies tournament is a much bigger draw than Peterborough is but there has only been official confirmation on the Peterborough one.

I can say for sure the 2002 team is in Marlies and Peterborough tournaments . The parents were sent a bill to pay for these tournaments, room, sweaters, practice ice etc. I have a hard time with this. Yes there is a cost but should the league not absorb that.
A line item on the budget for this league was to pay the coaches; 1 head coach and 2 assistants of $24,0000.00.
There was another line item for trainers of $8000.00 .
More than 1 coach I have talked to is not getting any were near that kind of money for him and his staff. Some were getting about $15,000.00 for 1 head coach, 2 assistants and the trainer. Were did the other $17,000.00 go. Maybe that could have paid for these tournaments.
Parents of the u18 league are financing the CCHL. Parents need to ask some hard questions of there organization or the coaches need to step up and protect themselves and the players/parents.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
I can say for sure the 2002 team is in Marlies and Peterborough tournaments . The parents were sent a bill to pay for these tournaments, room, sweaters, practice ice etc. I have a hard time with this. Yes there is a cost but should the league not absorb that.
A line item on the budget for this league was to pay the coaches; 1 head coach and 2 assistants of $24,0000.00.
There was another line item for trainers of $8000.00 .
More than 1 coach I have talked to is not getting any were near that kind of money for him and his staff. Some were getting about $15,000.00 for 1 head coach, 2 assistants and the trainer. Were did the other $17,000.00 go. Maybe that could have paid for these tournaments.
Parents of the u18 league are financing the CCHL. Parents need to ask some hard questions of there organization or the coaches need to step up and protect themselves and the players/parents.

The price for midget now is half the price that it used to cost. If your statement is that CCHL is financed on the parents back at half the price as what it uses to cost...where did all this extra money go when Minor Hockey Associations ran it?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The price for midget now is half the price that it used to cost. If your statement is that CCHL is financed on the parents back at half the price as what it uses to cost...where did all this extra money go when Minor Hockey Associations ran it?

You come on hear every time I ask questions about money. I think you protest to much. You say U 18 is half the price, prove it. Show me and others your detailed expenses from your U18 program .

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
You come on hear every time I ask questions about money. I think you protest to much. You say U 18 is half the price, prove it. Show me and others your detailed expenses from your U18 program .
I answer lots of questions all the time...i also dont hide behind s handle...please answer my question. Where did it go?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I answer lots of questions all the time...i also dont hide behind s handle...please answer my question. Where did it go?

This an educated guess, if a parent of an AAA player would help out with exact Dollar value that would be greatly appreciated.

Association fees; $2500 to $4000 (5 associations so fees could vary)
· This pays for Coaching, ice, league fees, etc
Team fees; $2000 to $3000
· This pays for tournament entry, coach’s room, coach’s gas, coach’s food. Pucks, banking fees for manager, extra ice
Associated cost;
· Equipment (helmet, gloves, pants should match so parents have to buy new equipment if they make the team and their stuff does not match association colors.) parents would have to buy equipment any way because kids grow so is this an expense that should not be counted.
· Sweater/socks. This could be different in every association, parents pay regardless by elevated association cost or by purchasing sweaters and socks
· track suit
Peer pressure cost; not necessary but most likely a cost.
· Garment bags, coats, jackets, golf shirt, tee shirt, etc
Tournament cost; not necessary but most likely a cost.
· gas, hotel, food, fun,

The parents at AAA had an association AGM, team meetings and other ways to express themselves about were their money was being spent. Does HEO U18 do any of that?
Most if not all AAA associations are not for profit organizations so they have rules and regulations they are to follow. Is HEO U18 a not for profit league?
Your turn, I did my part.
Others have handles also and you do not call them out because they agree with you or do not ask tough questions.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Another observation; Most teams in U18 added 2 players this year with hardly an increase in expenses. Who benefits from the increased revenue of over $10,000.00?

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
Another observation; Most teams in U18 added 2 players this year with hardly an increase in expenses. Who benefits from the increased revenue of over $10,000.00?

Periodically I check this page out to see how league is going. Only thing talked about is money. I suspect at the start of season a player is told how much it will cost. That would be the time to either jump on board and pay that amount, or back off because of costs and play Midget AA or CPJHL or whatever. Now maybe someone who is enjoying the season of U18 can shed some light on teams or certain players who you think are deserving of recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad