Confirmed with Link: Ottawa sends Zaitsev, '23 2nd, & '26 4th to Chicago for Future Considerations

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Excellent deal!

Z was available via waivers, but acquiring him via a trade WITH a 2nd and a 4th is doubly bonus!

Another dman of 400+ NHL games to replace our tradeable dmen this year...JJohnson MTinordi are pending UFAs, JMcCabe and CMurphy are veterans that can now be moved(thinking McCabe) for more assets
Z will be a tradeable piece next year after refinding his game

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Another proud member of the Russian Blakhawks defensive corps, alongside greats such as Karpovtsev, Mironov, Zadorov, Zyuzin...

Fantastic deal, though. Who knows, maybe he can even be flipped next year.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Let's not forget Igor Kravchuk who was actually a pretty darn good D man! Love the return, but would love to get one more 1st round pick near that #12 overall somehow......in 2 years, the Hawks could really kill the drafts and start the rebuild with Toews inevitable retirement.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Let's not forget Igor Kravchuk who was actually a pretty darn good D man! Love the return, but would love to get one more 1st round pick near that #12 overall somehow......in 2 years, the Hawks could really kill the drafts and start the rebuild with Toews inevitable retirement.
Don’t see them getting a pick that early from a trade unless it’s picks moving up

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
2972447E-38D7-4801-B4E6-EBB54216EDD9.png
0B0E5C73-4F84-4A0E-81AE-5D02B52BBC03.gif

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow nice job. Zaitsev isn’t even that bad in the right situation. That 2nd is a nice thing to have. Not happy we gave all that away just to move the contract. Oh well good luck boys.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Zaitsev is not as bad as people want to imply

He shouldn't play above 3rd pairing though. He is far from Ian Mitchell/Jack Johnson/Caleb Jones level

Fine with trade as I advocated for it though a bit disappointed, we couldn't pry loose a 1st

Hopefully we can dump Murphy at some point

Can you please tell us which of your parents are Russian? You owe us that much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Another proud member of the Russian Blakhawks defensive corps, alongside greats such as Karpovtsev, Mironov, Zadorov, Zyuzin...

Fantastic deal, though. Who knows, maybe he can even be flipped next year.

You both just going to pretend that Igor Ulanov doesn't exist?

Stupid f***ing trade sending Ulanov to TB. He was having good year and we moved him for that f***ing bum Ciccone

Can you please tell us which of your parents are Russian? You owe us that much.

Nope just someone who grew up a fan of Russian hockey and Russian hockey players starting from when I was kid.

I fondly remember trading for every Central Red Army player from the O Pee Chee set when I was kid. I have all of them

To be fair you got 1 in every pack I believe but it seemed like every other pack would end up a Motkov or Byakin card

Seriously I have like dozen each of Byakin and Motkov from that set packed away with most of my hockey cards

There were some good gets in that set

Khristich, Kamensky, Malakhov, Irbe and Fedorov

Unfortunately, many of the Fedorov cards had defect but I got one that doesn't and thus complete set. I mean it's not worth shit because they overproduced all those 80's/90's MLB/NHL/NFL cards but still fond memories as child of opening pack and such

I also remember watching Russian hockey highlights back in late 90's/early 00's on dial up internet

The quality as you could imagine of it was not very good, but I still enjoyed following best I could the Russian Super League. Mainly Moscow Dynamo highlights/scores

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
...do not want to use the 2nd we got for taking on Zaitsev on a goalie there...Maybe wait to our late 2nd rounder and take Scott Ratzlaff of Seattle Thunderbirds... he was Great in the Top Prospects Game...has 5 shutouts as the Back-up goalie in Seattle season and a .922 save% for the season...would be a top starter on most Juniors teams..he is better than the older Milic who is the #1goalie in Seattle..

Rated #6 goalie in NA by Central Scouting for this draft ...but what do they know about goalies ?It's a crap-shoot projecting 18 yr old goalies .
Also Central Scouting has a bias for big goalies 6'3 or taller...Ratzlaff is just 6'1 ...but whenever I have seen him he has been excellent..so I think we can get him end of 2nd... not using early 40s pick in a deep draft of forwards on the goalie for the pipeline pick...
Or maybe using the early 40s pick bundled with another pick to move back up into mid1st-early20s to grab a target we would love to have in our pipeline....

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I could see him getting a 3rd or 4th rounder at next year's deadline. Would be even better
Agree....barring terrible play or injury, I would be stunned if he is not a deadline trade next year. Two things he has going for him is he is right handed which is harder to find and his 4.5 million cap hit includes a 2 million dollar bonus payable in the Summer so retaining on him is cheap in actual dollars when you get to the deadline (625K annualized in real money is the 1/2 of a 1/2 to get another team involved to get double retention so less than 300K for a third party to eat 1.12 in annualized cap). He should be an attractive add for a playoff team as a #5-7 Dman and only add a little over a million if the Hawks retain 50% at the next deadline. Compared to some of the crap Q was trying to roll out in the last pairing when he was riding Hjammer/Keith/Seabs/Oduya to cups, Z would have been a good send compared to corpse of Rozival, etc.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Agree....barring terrible play or injury, I would be stunned if he is not a deadline trade next year. Two things he has going for him is he is right handed which is harder to find and his 4.5 million cap hit includes a 2 million dollar bonus payable in the Summer so retaining on him is cheap in actual dollars when you get to the deadline (625K annualized in real money is the 1/2 of a 1/2 to get another team involved to get double retention so less than 300K for a third party to eat 1.12 in annualized cap). He should be an attractive add for a playoff team as a #5-7 Dman and only add a little over a million if the Hawks retain 50% at the next deadline. Compared to some of the crap Q was trying to roll out in the last pairing when he was riding Hjammer/Keith/Seabs/Oduya to cups, Z would have been a good send compared to corpse of Rozival, etc.
I used to dog Rozy hard back in the day. But he wasn't that bad to be honest most of the time. I was at the game in Minny when he broke his leg unfortunately as an odd fact.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I used to dog Rozy hard back in the day. But he wasn't that bad to be honest most of the time. I was at the game in Minny when he broke his leg unfortunately as an odd fact.

He was a damn terrible skater. Just a leftover remnant of a previous era of hockey. He blocked shots and won board battles, which is all those teams really required of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00