GDT: Ottawa Senators vs Montreal Canadiens Oct 12 at the Bell Center

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I said it before this season, this team needs more size and grit on the back end. We dont have a punishing D core. Chabot just continues to regress each year and Hamonic is washed. Kleven is a rookie. We need some more experience and grit.
I guess, but getting a big/physical d-man who can actually play defence is much easier said than done. 90% of the time you just end up with Travis Hamonic.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I feel like he would have learned to play defence by now if this were the case.

Been 6 years he still looks lost on 2/3s of the ice.

I don’t think we have a lot of great IQ guys in the team. Probably why we’re better with stricter coaches telling the guys what to do.m more.

6 years is still less than 500GP. Not many players have that part of the game figured out that early. Brady is an offensive player and will probably always leave a little bit to be desired on the other side but he is able to break down the oppositions D at a high level. It’s subtle but he is probably one of the better players at opening ice on this team.

It’s funny to see someone say Stutzle is high IQ and Brady isn’t. Stutzle is successful because of his skill and he opens ice that way but Brady is doing it with his head.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It hasn't played out the way I thought or hoped, but 1-1 after playing Montreal and Florida isn't as bad as many of you are making it out to be.

They played like shit the last five periods of hockey, and this in their first two games of a season where they expect to make the playoffs. It is as bad as we are making it out to be.

Reactions: Speatleysson

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
The reality is we've had one good period out of six to start the season. We have a core who's game is predicated on offensive skill. That is not a good sign to me. We continue to get out worked over the past 2-3 seasons. We constantly lose puck battles and can't seem to break it out cleanly The players don't seem to be on the same page.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeMs

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
They played like shit the last five periods of hockey, and this in their first two games of a season where they expect to make the playoffs. It is as bad as we are making it out to be.

and the good period was the panthers playing on a back to back.

this is a terrible start even if we're .500.

if we played great and were 0-2 it would be better.

Reactions: StutzlingAway

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I said it before this season, this team needs more size and grit on the back end. We dont have a punishing D core. Chabot just continues to regress each year and Hamonic is washed. Kleven is a rookie. We need some more experience and grit.

They swapped Brannstrom for Kleven
They swapped Chychrun for Jensen

Thy should have swapped Chabot for Jensen, but either way they did at least address the size/grit issue to a reasonable degree.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t think you are a Habs fan but you have an irrational fear of them.

Of them? :laugh:

Damn, what takes so long to figure out?

I don't have "fears" as it's just an entertainment but as of right now, I am worried about pretty much ANY TEAM, particularly in our own division. I guess it's called awareness, being aware of how the last seasons went and how much we need to PROVE ourselves as a team. Yes, I am worried about teams directly competing with us.

Their drafting has been really good.

It adds to the worry. A lot of their talent is not in the NHL (as their rebuild is still pretty young)

2 quick examples :

Mailloux, 2 goals 2 assists in his first game in the AHL yesterday and he's a D-man

Michael Hage, just drafted, has 5 points in his first 3 NCAA games.

People can choose to bury their heads in the sand and don't see them coming if they want but tonight was just a glimpse. We need to "break out" as a team and quick.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
They swapped Chychrun for Jensen

Thy should have swapped Chabot for Jensen, but either way they did at least address the size/grit issue to a reasonable degree.

people don't like hearing it but brannstrom made our 3rd pair respectable.

now we have to rely on rookie kleven for that and that's not going so good.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

This isn’t a bad thing Kleven is probably already better at shedding forecheckers than Brannstrom. He may not walk over the blueline 1v4 and have his shot deflected into the netting as often but he is so much more efficient.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I would have traded Chabot (if possible) and bought out Hamonic

Buying out Hamonic would have resulted in a cap penalty. He should be in the minors, where his cap would be burried 100%.

Either way - we likely all agree he shouldn't be playing on a healthy Sens team.

This isn’t a bad thing Kleven is probably already better at shedding forecheckers than Brannstrom. He may not walk over the blueline 1v4 and have his shot deflected into the netting as often but he is so much more efficient.

At no point did I say it was a bad thing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
people don't like hearing it but brannstrom made our 3rd pair respectable.

now we have to rely on rookie kleven for that and that's not going so good.

Brannstrom has already peaked as a guy that no one in the NHL wants.

Kleven is going to go through some growing pains but his ceiling is higher.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

3-0. At 3 nothing lol.

What was his plan to not get it to 3-0.

And yeah this might be a case of the players being right lol. It’s THREE f***ING NOTHING

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

brannstrom drove possession. he got the puck out. he had hockey sense, and elevated his linemates.

kleven-brannstrom would have been a good pairing even if one guys was playing on their off side.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
brannstrom drove possession. he got the puck out. he had hockey sense, and elevated his linemates.

kleven-brannstrom would have been a good pairing even if one guys was playing on their off side.

Brannstrom was good once others got the puck into the offensive zone, he was good at being involved on the cycle but for a player who struggled to defend, he never drove play and was inefficient in transition.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
What I’ve wondered about is if their offensive production would drop as they focus & learn how to play better defensive hockey. That worry is still alive.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom was good once others got the puck into the offensive zone, he was good at being involved on the cycle but for a player who struggled to defend, he never drove play and was inefficient in transition.

idk i thought brannstrom was really disappointing in the ozone. like that's what is holding him back most. he knew where to be, but wasn't as threatening as he should be.

and naw he definitely drove possession, possession you can see and calculate.

and the eye test showed brannstrom drove possession from his own zone and the numbers back that up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

3-0. At 3 nothing lol.

What was his plan to not get it to 3-0.

And yeah this might be a case of the players being right lol. It’s THREE f***ING NOTHING

He's not wrong.

I think the big problem with this team is immaturity and a lack of growth. Chabot, Timmy, Brady, et all seem to make the same mistakes they made in their rookie seasons. Inconsistent effort level, inconsistent understanding of the game, very emotional and get really high or really low very easily. That sort of thing. Some of these guys are getting a bit old and have enough NHL games under their belt that we shouldn't be using youth as an excuse.

I'm expecting Green to get tough and go a ways to straighten this out, but man....a lot of this change and growth should be coming from within, not pounded into them from the coach.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
IMG_1613.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad