OT: Ottawa food thread!

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Couple places of late to review this month as it is birthday season in my house!

1. Datsun. Wow, just wow. Everything was wow. Price too...wow! But honestly worth every penny. My new favorite for asian fusion. That and Angry Dragonz

2. Trofi. Overrated. Nice presentation and the price list is , as many restaurants tend to be lately, inflated. The souvlaki had a lovely presentation, but very greasy and not really a good serving temperature. I think it is ok, but clearly third on my list behind Penelopi's and Evoo
I would vote you as our resident HF foodie. These are all restaurants all though popular, I have never heard of. I will eventually try them all!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
2. Trofi. Overrated. Nice presentation and the price list is , as many restaurants tend to be lately, inflated. The souvlaki had a lovely presentation, but very greasy and not really a good serving temperature. I think it is ok, but clearly third on my list behind Penelopi's and Evoo
Their wine list looks like 6 different people put it together without talking to each other. Makes absolutely no sense lol.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I've been to Datsun just once, and I agree with your assessment! The problem is that every time I am in that area I tend to just go to El Camino instead...
That whole chain by the owners...I'd love to buy into that. Datsun. El Camino. Riviera. Shelby Burger. Giulia. I could pretty much only eat at their places and live happy!

Reactions: DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
That whole chain by the owners...I'd love to buy into that. Datsun. El Camino. Riviera. Shelby Burger. Giulia. I could pretty much only eat at their places and live happy!
That's York Street Entertainment, isn't it?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Laverne's in Navan got brought up in another thread, what people's favorite butchers around town?

My buddy used to swear by Aubrey's in the market, but they appear to have closed shop...

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Laverne's in Navan got brought up in another thread, what people's favorite butchers around town?

My buddy used to swear by Aubrey's in the market, but they appear to have closed shop...
The Butchery on Robertson Rd is good. Asked for flat iron, they cleaned it right then. "It comes in two halves, how much you need?" "Give me both halves as is, I'll portion it at home." said I.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The Butchery on Robertson Rd is good. Asked for flat iron, they cleaned it right then. "It comes in two halves, how much you need?" "Give me both halves as is, I'll portion it at home." said I.
+1 to The Butchery! Such incredible selection and the staff are great.

Also shoutout to the Beckwith Butchery in Carleton Place. A bit of a trek, but a nice selection... and they're right next to Deadly Grounds, which is my favourite coffee spot. Horror-themed!

Reactions: Loach

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Went to Le Cellier in Gatineau this weekend. It is my favourtie french restaurant and still hits all the right notes!

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Too slow entering the market imo. There are BarBurrito's, FatBastard's and Guacs opening on every other block in the greater Ottawa area these days. They should have broken in with Moe's (who absolutely squandered their opportunity) 15 years ago.

They've already lost their place in the US market with hard cuts in quality and affordability; can't imagine it takes off here outside of a few stops that exist purely on brandname and novelty.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010

Sorry @Micklebot I'm gonna piggy-back off this...

I love Laverne's - great cuts and the ready to be cooked schnitzel is fantastic. Is there a place nearby where I can get a reasonably sized amount of broth bones and not a restaurant-sized crate? I understand many butchers make good money selling scrap bones in bulk to restaurants and such but where does that leave the home cook?

Even cooking down a simple broth/stock will cost you a pretty penny these days. Go to Metro and look for the frozen beef stock bones lol. Scrap butchery pieces for a price you could once feed a family for a day not long ago.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Reactions: StoicSensFan

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Sorry @Micklebot I'm gonna piggy-back off this...

I love Laverne's - great cuts and the ready to be cooked schnitzel is fantastic. Is there a place nearby where I can get a reasonably sized amount of broth bones and not a restaurant-sized crate? I understand many butchers make good money selling scrap bones in bulk to restaurants and such but where does that leave the home cook?

Even cooking down a simple broth/stock will cost you a pretty penny these days. Go to Metro and look for the frozen beef stock bones lol. Scrap butchery pieces for a price you could once feed a family for a day not long ago.
Have you tried Laverne's? Go in with a weight in mind and ask them what they can do.

Really you are better off buying a large box (20kg-30kgs), get a few roasting pans, a big stock pot, and go nuts and freeze the other half of bones for more down the road.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I go to Lavergnes regularly for their beef short ribs. They are the best cut and flavor. I will not waste my time going anywhere else and this drive to Navan is worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00