Proposal: Ottawa/Boston/Philly in a hot three-way

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

Lucic also got Martin Jones who they flipped for another 1st and Collin Miller. You have your finger on the scale on a few of these.
Most of those trades are missing details. In most of them I only covered the player entering their final year and the 1st round pick(s) involved from that same summer. There was no reason to mention Pronger also got Lupal, Sbisa, and another 1st because that is not relevant to the point I am making

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Most of those trades are missing details. In most of them I only covered the player entering their final year and the 1st round pick(s) involved from that same summer. There was no reason to mention Pronger also got Lupal, Sbisa, and another 1st because that is not relevant to the point I am making

Your main point that summer pre-draft trades of pending UFAs is rare, yes, but then you are adding in a bunch of editorials on the values of the returns and not including the full returns which is creating a second point to the post that is lacking.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Ullmark doesn't start a discussion for 7th OA lol. Rental's simply don't carry that type of value
For Ullmark too waive his NMC, a team will need to be talking extension or it's a non starter. So it's kind of moot point. I would not trade a 1st for a walk away, but I have to think Linus would approve a team he plans on staying with. JMHO

Ledge And Dairy

For Ullmark too waive his NMC, a team will need to be talking extension or it's a non starter. So it's kind of moot point. I would not trade a 1st for a walk away, but I have to think Linus would approve a team he plans on staying with. JMHO
Ullmark doesn't have a NMC he has a partial NTC. And just because he might be willing to extend after a trade doesn't mean a team should pay through the roof for him. If you think Ullmark is worth #7 San Jose should move #1 for Marner in a heartbeat

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
OK Mr Pedantic, same difference in that he'd have to approve a deal to OTT. The point you obviously missed was any team he would have to approve out the 15-16 teams on his list would probably need to talk an extension.
No he's not worth the 7th pick, but Chychrun and 25 is fairer.

I guess they didn't teach you subtle context in Wizarding school.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Ottawa out: pick #7, pick #112, Erik Brannstrom, Josh Norris
Ottawa in: pick #31/32, Linus Ullmark, Morgan Geekie, Scott Laughton

Philly out: pick #12, pick #31/32, Scott Laughton
Philly in: pick #7, pick #112, Erik Brannstrom

Boston out: Linus Ullmark, Morgan Geekie
Boston in: pick #12, Josh Norris

Ottawa gets a goalie and some veteran depth, Philly moves up to get whoever they want at 7 and a depth defenseman, Boston lands a high pick and a potential quality C. If the Bruins were willing to do PLD for Ullmark then why not Norris?
Josh Norris is a no go for the Bruins, good player when he plays, but unfortunately, he doesn't always play. Two shoulders surgeries might be a reason Senators are willing to give him up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Josh Norris inclusion sure makes it hard to figure out if the value of fair. A really swingy asset.

Yeah. Any deal involving Norris is going to be a heck of a thing to try to evaluate.

He could be anything from a Top-6 Center...to a complete cap liability. If he continues to be the sort of annoying high cap dollar player who misses more games than he plays, it ties up so much $$$ in an asset that you don't really have most of the time. So it handcuffs you in what else you can do and plan around for roster building...but then doesn't really give you anything like full value for those cap dollars at the top-end of your balance sheet. That's a nightmare, and why i think Ottawa would be looking at moving him in the first place.

That said...if he can get, and stay healthier...he's a skilled Top-6 Center with decent two-way ability. Big contract, but plenty worth it if he's healthy and playing well. Picked up for pennies on the dollar in terms of acquisition cost, because of the inherent "riskiness" of his contract right now.

So idk. If i'm Boston, i think i just look somewhere else. Too much going for them to risk having to blow up other important elements of the team just to keep Norris around as he dips in and out of LTIR every year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
7 for 12 and a late 1st...may br close depending on talent view between picks.

12, Norris for Ullmark, geekier

This is bad for ottawa
Actually I think the proposal favours the Sens really heavily and wonder if the other 2 team would bite.

Mind you Boston has Swayman so I could see why they move Ullmark.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
COUNTER-OFFER

to Boston Bruins

Sean Couturier (6y @ $7.75m)
Travis Hamonic (1y @ $1.10m)
Frederic Zamula ( RFA )
CAP CHANGE = open approx $0.4m cap

to Philadelphia Flyers
Trent Frederic (1y @ $2.30m)
Jakob Chychrun (1y @ $4.60m)
Mathieu Joseph (2y @ $2.95m)
CAP CHANGE = add approx $1.2m cap

to Ottawa Senators
Linus Ullmark (1y @ $5.00m)
Andrew Peeke (2y @ 2.75m)
CAP CHANGE = open $0.9m in cap

BOS POV = Ullmark Frederic Peeke for Couturier Zamula Hamonic
PHI POV = Couturier Zamula for Chychrun Frederic Joseph
OTT POV = Chychrun Joseph Hamonic for Ullmark Peeke

I feel like the value might be a little bit off but close. Maybe we could add like a draft pick or two in there somewhere and make it sing a little more harmoniously.

Ottawa tells Hamonic they're buying him out. Advises him to waive for Boston, who will either let him play buy him out if either Boston or Hamonic wants a buyout.

Ottawa then trades Anton Forsberg (50% retained) + 6th for 7th rounder to one of BUF FLA WAS NAS WPG CGY VAN. Boston and Philly are the wrong teams to trade with if you're trying to get them to take a goalie back in a trade.

Boston was rumoured to want to take a chance on Dubois at the deadline. If Dubois and his baggage interested them, I can't see why Couturier wouldn't interest them as well.

Philadelphia probably has too many top 9 wingers now, with Mitchkov coming over and Frederic being added. One or two of Konecny, Atkinson, or maybe even Frederic who just came in could be moved out for pick(s) / prospect(s). I would guess Philly would prefer to play Frederic at center instead of trading him right away, but it's an option. Frederic's contract is desirable for other teams.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers need a goalie... Yes, Flyers need a goalie AGAIN!

Getting Erik Brannstrom does nothing.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Flyers need a goalie... Yes, Flyers need a goalie AGAIN!

Getting Erik Brannstrom does nothing.
Flyers goalies for October are Ersson and Fedotov (and Petersen on waivers in AHL for one year).

If Ersson and Fedotov aren't cutting it, then sure, Briere could re-evaluate halfway through the season. It seems from all indications that Flyers are comfortable starting the season with what they have now, though. Whether that's smart or not smart, that's a different question. Luckily for Briere, both Ersson and Fedotov have contracts that seem at least somewhat moveable, if the need arises.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Flyers goalies for October are Ersson and Fedotov (and Petersen on waivers in AHL for one year).

If Ersson and Fedotov aren't cutting it, then sure, Briere could re-evaluate halfway through the season. It seems from all indications that Flyers are comfortable starting the season with what they have now, though. Whether that's smart or not smart, that's a different question. Luckily for Briere, both Ersson and Fedotov have contracts that seem at least somewhat moveable, if the need arises.
Both were put in a tough spot after 39 left. I’m sure they can do the job until next wave Zavragin, Bjarnasson arrives. I hope Kolosov stays around, only 22.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Really depends on if you view Norris as a toxic asset or one with some hope.
Toxic asset sounds a bit harsh but damaged goods and his amount and term doesn't make him an asset with some hope, his 21-22 season is quite the outlier to his entire career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad