Proposal: Ottawa - Arizona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I wouldn't trade JC for Sanderson without an add from Ottawa

But I am encouraged OTT fans are so high on his potential. As a Leafs fan coming in peace I hope i'm wrong and he does turn into a 1D for you, the Sens fanbase has endured quite a bit over the years

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
They're both left D and we already got Chabot as a no1 LD so I don't see a reason to get other one that's more expensive then an ELC. Ottawa needs to improve at RD after Zub. To add to that we have two RD prospects in JBD and Thomson.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
What has Spezza or Yashin done aside from putting up some points in the regular season? I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but Buffalo’s kind of been in no mans land for the past 10 years. It’s actually not to dissimilar from where Karlsson was the best player in Ottawa and nobody outside of this town knew anything about him.

Did no one outside Ottawa know anything about him when he won his first or second Norris trophy? He was never Ottawa's best player before the season he won his first...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get the basis for this. Proven vs potential and ELC years,and both guys project roughly the same.

But, Ottawa already has a stud 1LD, so having a stud 2LD is nice, we can afford to wait on Sanderson. Furthermore, we desperately need a legit 1C, and a couple legit 1-3RWs and a RD if we truly want to become a contender. Bringing in Chychurn to win now simply doesn't work when we're still missing so many pieces.

Reactions: NB613 and Altimus

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Eichel put up multiple PPG+ seasons playing with linemates that had 20 less points than him.

That's more impressive than putting up 90+ point seasons playing on the best line in hockey beside two other 90+ guys.

But then when I mention Yashin putting up 94 points when second place had 56...a much higher point total and a much bigger gap, you scoff at it like it's irrelevant.

You sir, are biased, and not consistent with your argument. You think you're right and there's no convincing you otherwise.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not a Senators fan, but I don't see this trade from Ottawa's perspective. Sanderson & Chychrun are both LD. Senators would be more interested in a RD.

Plus, Sanderson will be the younger player on a ELC contract for a few years, and that's right in Melnyk's wheelhouse.

I think in time (might not take that long) Sanderson will be just as good as Chychrun, and possibly better in the long run. Sanderson is very good in both the offensive & defensive areas, and is quite possibly going to be better on the defense side of things. Sanderson is probably just flying under the radar for some fans I suspect. There's a lot of prospects and leagues to follow, so that is rather understandable I suppose.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm not a Senators fan, but I don't see this trade from Ottawa's perspective. Sanderson & Chychrun are both LD. Senators would be more interested in a RD.

Plus, Sanderson will be the younger player on a ELC contract for a few years, and that's right in Melnyk's wheelhouse.

I think in time (might not take that long) Sanderson will be just as good as Chychrun, and possibly better in the long run. Sanderson is very good in both the offensive & defensive areas, and is quite possibly going to be better on the defense side of things. Sanderson is probably just flying under the radar for some fans I suspect. There's a lot of prospects and leagues to follow, so that is rather understandable I suppose.
Perhaps one day he will. That is if you believe Chychrun is done growing as a player. Me?... I think he's not

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Perhaps one day he will. That is if you believe Chychrun is done growing as a player. Me?... I think he's not
The two players that get mentioned as being the best defenders not playing in the NHL are Sanderson and Powers. And, there seems to be a fair amount that are ranking Sanderson higher now. Most scouts that cover college hockey closely are calling Sanderson NHL ready right now. That's nothing against Chychrun, and of course, I am not saying Chychrun won't get better either. I think there's just a lot of people not really following top college prospects that closely which is OK & to be expected actually.

And, fwiw, it pains me to think that our cross province rival will have a good blueline in the near future LOL.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
The two players that get mentioned as being the best defenders not playing in the NHL are Sanderson and Powers. And, there seems to be a fair amount that are ranking Sanderson higher now. Most scouts that cover college hockey closely are calling Sanderson NHL ready right now. That's nothing against Chychrun, and of course, I am not saying Chychrun won't get better either. I think there's just a lot of people not really following top college prospects that closely which is OK & to be expected actually.

And, fwiw, it pains me to think that our cross province rival will have a good blueline in the near future LOL.
Outside of the Hockey Writers who has them as that?
Powers yes. Sanderson not so much

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
This is a similar proposition to when Karlsson was going to be inevitably traded and Ottawa fans were adamant that they would get somebody like Heiskanen back. Dallas was like, "thanks, but NO"

Just because you can get a good player, it doesn't mean it's a good deal. Chychrun would be more valuable to Ottawa right now, but Sanderson is their future. Only way a deal like this would make the remotest amount of sense is if the Senators were pushing for a cup win this year. They're way closer to pushing for Shane Wright

Reactions: NB613 and yogibear

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Maybe I'm biased but this trade should be a slam dunk for Arizona, no? Like you're getting a 19 year old 5th overall pick, WJC captain, who's going to be on his ELC. He's one of the safest bets for a D prospect we've seen in a long time. He was the best defensive player in his draft class and is currently putting up better numbers than Makar in college, leading his team in points per game.

Chychrun is a solid 1LD. He's great defensively and average defensively, with only one year of elite point production. He's most likely going to get better. But even if Sanderson and Chychrun were going to be the exact same caliber of player wouldn't it make sense to go with the guy thats 4 years younger and fits more in your window of contention?

This would be like trading Neal Pionk for Owen Power, like isn't it a pretty obvs trade for a rebuilding team like Arizona? What am I missing?

Reactions: HSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad