Proposal: Ottawa - Arizona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If Ottawa wasn't willing to deal Sanderson for Eichel they won't for Chychrun. Sanderson is as untouchable as they come in terms of prospects
why would ottawa even be interested in a trade for Eichel?

is there a link to ottawa not wanting to include him in a deal?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Chychrun is worth more than Eichel who is an absolutely mystery box with his neck and all that smoke and whispers surrounding his character.
At best its a wash because of Eichel ceiling versus his issues, and this could very well be short term drop in vlaue if he comes back as good as new. Chychrun is still a bit of a mystery box offensively where as the big value defensemen all have offensive games that are proven over a number of years. Chychrun has one stellar year and some years where he scored some goals. Granted it was in Arizona who is not a powerhouse, but the track record to support the above statement is not there.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I remember when Griffin Reinhardt was a safe bet to be a top pairing defenceman

Sanderson is better than Reinhart at everything besides being tall.

Reinhart couldn't skate and it was his downfall. Sanderson is an elite skater.

There's no comparison between the two. Sanderson is as safe a prospect as you'll find. Great tools, high-end IQ and zero weaknesses in his game.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Chychrun for Sanderson

I think value is probably fair for a 1 for 1 if not maybe slight add on one side. Ottawa needs to make the playoffs next year and start emerging from this rebuild. I’m sure they hate to loose a great prospect like Sanderson but you have to give to get. Chychrun is a really good defence man on a great contract. Also this proposal is made under the assumption Ottawa first tries to do a package of picks and prospects like Greig, Klevin and Sokolov but Arizona turns it down.
I’d pass if I’m Arizona. Too much unknown risk for an already bonafide top pair D man.

But it’s an interesting thought exercise. Value surely going in both directions, which so many HF trades proposals lack.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Sanderson is putting up Makar like numbers this season. No way Sens even consider this. Chychrun is a good, young top pairing Dman but he's average defensively. Sanderson's potential is far too elite at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: Duncstar

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Likely because he would be the best center this organization has ever had?

Meh...not necessarily.

Yashin was runner up for the Hart and put up 94 points with second place on the team having 56 points... and Spezza was putting up 110+ point seasons in his prime.

He would certainly be top 3, but among those 3 it's debatable.

Reactions: Altimus

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
His contract is more of a turn on to teams with cap issues. He doesn't have value to Ottawa in that way to make him worth Sanderson.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I wouldn't do this trade, I love Sanderson's potential too much but I will say this: IF Jakob was a RD this deal would get done. We have a massive 1RD need, he's signed for cheap and his family is from Ottawa. His age still fits our window for success so this would be totally a Sens thing to do.

Reactions: Stubu and Altimus

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Meh...not necessarily.

Yashin was runner up for the Hart and put up 94 points with second place on the team having 56 points... and Spezza was putting up 110+ point seasons in his prime.

He would certainly be top 3, but among those 3 it's debatable.
Spezza only had 100 points once in his entire career, including juniors and that was in the over in the AHL 15 years ago. He left this team because fans routinely shit on him for years, and people were happy that he was ran out of town. Yashin was a soft russian who had 90 points over 20 years ago, but people still hate him to this day. Would easily take Eichel over either if them as he is a top 5C when healthy.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Spezza only had 100 points once in his entire career, including juniors and that was in the over in the AHL 15 years ago. He left this team because fans routinely shit on him for years, and people were happy that he was ran out of town. Yashin was a soft russian who had 90 points over 20 years ago, but people still hate him to this day. Would easily take Eichel over either if them as he is a top 5C when healthy.

Doesn't change the fact that Eichel hasn't done anything they haven't... And they've both reached numbers Eichel hasn't been able to touch.

Eichel hasn't done anything to have a better career than those guys age for age.

Doesn't really matter who you like or don't like.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Doesn't change the fact that Eichel hasn't done anything they haven't... And they've both reached numbers Eichel hasn't been able to touch.

Eichel hasn't done anything to have a better career than those guys age for age.

Doesn't really matter who you like or don't like.
What has Spezza or Yashin done aside from putting up some points in the regular season? I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but Buffalo’s kind of been in no mans land for the past 10 years. It’s actually not to dissimilar from where Karlsson was the best player in Ottawa and nobody outside of this town knew anything about him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chychrun for Sanderson

I think value is probably fair for a 1 for 1 if not maybe slight add on one side. Ottawa needs to make the playoffs next year and start emerging from this rebuild. I’m sure they hate to loose a great prospect like Sanderson but you have to give to get. Chychrun is a really good defence man on a great contract. Also this proposal is made under the assumption Ottawa first tries to do a package of picks and prospects like Greig, Klevin and Sokolov but Arizona turns it down.

No chance Ottawa does that, and not sure what’s wrong, but Chychuryn might be off to his worse start of his career.

From NCAA web page - Sanderson and Power ranked tops this year.
Jake Sanderson is as explosive and dynamic a player as there is in college hockey. His ability to skate end-to-end and earn a scoring chance or set up a teammate is unmatched. His 19 points place him third among all defensemen, but he's only played in 15 games, tied for first in points per game among D.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It absolutely would NOT be 1:1 - Sanderson would definitely need to have other assets attached. Likely Ottawa’s 2nd and a highly regarded prospect a tier below Sanderson. If Chychrun was 3-4 years older, and his contract was 1.5-2x higher aav then Sanderson alone might be the return. Chychrun is so young and so cheap. There’s no chance a wholly unproven prospect is a 1:1 for him. Zero.
Ottawa isn't attaching assets, or more importantly, going to move Sanderson. If you using the term "unproven prospect" to describe Sanderson, well that explains a lot. Ottawa will keep their future stud defender on a very inexpensive ELC contract. That is a Melnyk dream if there ever was one.

This would be a good thread to close before it gets ugly.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
why would ottawa even be interested in a trade for Eichel?

is there a link to ottawa not wanting to include him in a deal?
It was just some Senator fans that wanted to trade for Eichel. It always seemed very unlikely given the owner, but there was lots of talk about from some Senator fans.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Man this is a tough one. Sanderson certainly has potential to be a very good D. But Chycrun is already an established young stud on a sweet contract.
Chycrun-Chabot. Top pair would go a long way into making OTT closer to being a playoff contender as opposed to “ a young team on the rise”
You can tell Chycrun just wants out of that dumpster fire in ARI. It wouldn’t surprise me 1 bit if he’s quietly asked to be traded already.
There’s not a shot he wants to stay there for another 3-4 seasons building.
If I’m OTT, I really consider

To OTT Chycrun + Crouse
To ARI Sanderson + 2nd / 3rd or something along those lines.

the sens have some nice pieces maturing, but they likely need to add a few more. I’m a firm believer in building from the net out to be successful. Kind of a similar path the rangers took, only we didn’t get any young and upcoming ELC top 6 centers.
Having Chycrun/Chabot/Zub locked in as half of your top D and most of the top 4 would be pretty huge for them.

the only caveat for me would be is resigning Chycrun. I’d wager he’d have no problem resigning with a team like the sens whose further along in the rebuild process. But if I’m dealing Sanderson, I want a guarantee somehow that he’s here longer then his current contract. Not sure how they would go about that though.
Honestly, it’s a really tough call.

does OTT want to try and take that next step next season with guys like Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, Norris, Fommenton, Pinto etc all under long term control??? Or do they still basically build for another year or 2 and try to get another high draft pick???
A lot is going to depend on how OTT s front office/GM see in their team. A lot of sens fans thought they’d be competing for a playoff spot this season, but they’ve shown they still lack some important holes that need to be fill by either some solid vets or some More established Youngsters.

the only thing I will say the OTT should be concerned about is you don’t want to let that losing culture and perpetually missing the playoffs continue for too long. It is hard turning that ship around and starting a new culture change.
You don’t want to run the risk of rebuilding too long and then guys wanting out because some things don’t go as planned, some players don’t pan out the way you think etc. you run the risk of having a back to back rebuild like buffalo with some of their best/franchise players wanting out.
Buff and ARI are the 2 main offenders.
If EDM had any other 2 players besides Drai and especially McJesus that didn’t stop the bleeding thru sheer will and performance, they’d likely be in that boat too

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Eichel could be Spezza level but so far he obviously hasn't done that

He has a lot of work to do to catch up to Spezza level but I think Eichel can atleast be a comparable elite center for a long time

regardless my point stands that if Ottawa wasn't to move Sanderson for Eichel they won't for Chychrun

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Eichel could be Spezza level but so far he obviously hasn't done that

He has a lot of work to do to catch up to Spezza level but I think Eichel can atleast be a comparable elite center for a long time

Eichel put up multiple PPG+ seasons playing with linemates that had 20 less points than him.

That's more impressive than putting up 90+ point seasons playing on the best line in hockey beside two other 90+ guys.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It was just some Senator fans that wanted to trade for Eichel. It always seemed very unlikely given the owner, but there was lots of talk about from some Senator fans.

A few fans, but most wanted to pass on him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Eichel put up multiple PPG+ seasons playing with linemates that had 20 less points than him.

That's more impressive than putting up 90+ point seasons playing on the best line in hockey beside two other 90+ guys.
whatever it is I think its debate-able and its besides the point ...the sens won't trade Sanderson for Chychrun esp with the owner we have wanting to bank off a cheap ELC

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I wouldn’t trade Sandy one for one, Sens wouldn’t be interested, funny it was a proposal from a leaf fan.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Ottawa isn't attaching assets, or more importantly, going to move Sanderson. If you using the term "unproven prospect" to describe Sanderson, well that explains a lot. Ottawa will keep their future stud defender on a very inexpensive ELC contract. That is a Melnyk dream if there ever was one.

This would be a good thread to close before it gets ugly.
You must be new. I love the bright eyes and bushy tail. Very endearing. Merry Christmas!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad