Value of: Ottawa and San Jose (Not Karlsson)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So you are just a hater and have no interest in actually contributing to the conversation. Good to know.
A "hater". You mean someone who doesn't think the Sens are as good as Sens fans think they are going to be. Guess there A LOT of haters since most don't think they are a playoff team. Great contribution to the thread.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
A "hater". You mean someone who doesn't think the Sens are as good as Sens fans think they are going to be. Guess there A LOT of haters since most don't think they are a playoff team. Great contribution to the thread.
This isnt a situation about Sens fans thinking the team is better than it is, it is about we need to actually compete now. We have to make improvements where we can. We are in the toughest division and are going to have to fight for every point we can. Duclair is an improvement over Joseph and helps us in the next off season. That is worth a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: PainForShane

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the conditional pick involved in the DeBrincat trade is likely a suitable asset for this swap to happen but I don't think Ottawa is that desperate to make such a move.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think the conditional pick involved in the DeBrincat trade is likely a suitable asset for this swap to happen but I don't think Ottawa is that desperate to make such a move.
That might be a little too high. Maybe a 2nd that turns into a first if the Sens make the playoffs?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
San Jose did not acquire Duclair in order to compete. They paid a 5th and a 4th liner for a guy they can flip for a better pick either before the season starts or at the trade deadline.
that would mean a 1st/2nd+ decent prospect/ ELC not a cap dump.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Joseph scored 3 goals in 56 games, Duclair had 2 in 20.
Joseph has 3 years left at 2.95, Duclair is a free agent after this season. That frees up money for Sanderson next year. Duclair can play both wings like Joseph.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Duclair/Norris/Tarasenko
Kubalik/Pinto/Batherson

More balanced.
To unload Joseph snd his 3 years will cost 2 2nds For future considerations. Trading for a 1 yr contract in return costs a 2nd and 3rd …that is before factoring the quality of thr player.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Joseph scored 3 goals in 56 games, Duclair had 2 in 20.
Joseph has 3 years left at 2.95, Duclair is a free agent after this season. That frees up money for Sanderson next year. Duclair can play both wings like Joseph.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Duclair/Norris/Tarasenko
Kubalik/Pinto/Batherson

More balanced.
To unload Joseph snd his 3 years will cost 2 2nds For future considerations.
The OP said Ottawa could add a 1st or 2nd with Joseph to get Duclair. San Jose needs picks like that.

it’s not in the proposal but buried in fine print. I’m not reading the fine print.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the plan with duclair is for SJ to trade him at the deadline with retention to the highest bidder. He'll see top 6 time all season which hopefully pads his stats

He's been hurt a fair amount over the past few years.

If Ottawa was willing to pony up a trade deadline type return for cap relief I'll wager they would accommodate, as it would mitigate against that possibility.

Not that I want Ottawa to do so - they've traded so many picks in recent years that the pipeline has basically been shut off.

Reactions: bert

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I think the plan with duclair is for SJ to trade him at the deadline with retention to the highest bidder. He'll see top 6 time all season which hopefully pads his stats
Not that I am offering it but are you saying that you wouldn't take a first now?

He equally likely to reduce his value over the season as improve it.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
You are talking about paying a 1st or 2nd to free up 1.4M in cap. That’s insane.
If we're talking about a 2nd, that's a fair price to pay to upgrade to Duclair.

But giving up a premium asset makes no sense, especially since there are clearly ways in which we can stay below the ceiling without giving up anything of value

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Haven't watched Duclair in some time but if the Sens are going to have to add something significant to this, I'd go for more of a bottom-6 oriented player as opposed to Duclair. Sens have enough guys who are offensively oriented and not enough shut-down 3rd liner types which I feel like we are desperately missing.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Giroux-Norris-Batherson
Kubalik-Pinto-xxx

If we can flip Joseph for an affordable defensive-oriented, hard forechecking 3rd line RW with control i would be very inclined to flip Joseph + one of our 1sts. Duclair doesn't fit the bill for me though.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Zero chance ottawa offers that kind of pick to Joseph. He's a useful player and could be waived if necessary.

Moving on.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What additional compensation would San Jose require in this trade?

To Ottawa
Anthony Duclair (50% retained)

To San Jose
Matthew Joseph

Making this trade allows Ottawa to sign Pinto.

What would San Jose require? a 2nd? a late 1st? A prospect like Sokolov?
If I’m Grier and the Sens call asking about this, I’m demanding a 1st and a nice prospect is attached, for two main reasons… as there’s no other reason to logically make the deal.

The Sharks need draft/prospect capital more than anyone right now AND I know I’m going to likely get a nice pick for Duclair come the deadline. He’s going to get a 2nd because he just showed he can make a difference in the playoffs.

So why am I going to pay Joseph for 2 extra years if I’m not adding more than what I’m already going to get, paying for one year of Duclair? I’m not.

Reactions: Gecklund

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What additional compensation would San Jose require in this trade?

To Ottawa
Anthony Duclair (50% retained)

To San Jose
Matthew Joseph

Making this trade allows Ottawa to sign Pinto.

What would San Jose require? a 2nd? a late 1st? A prospect like Sokolov?
Ottawa adds a top 10 protected 2024 1st. Unprotected in 2025

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You are talking about paying a 1st or 2nd to free up 1.4M in cap. That’s insane.
You’re misleading readers on purpose. Joseph isn’t an expiring contract. So it’s longer term cap relief. For 3 years of cap space… say goodbye to a future 1st Rounder.

Reactions: NB613 and Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad