Speculation: Ottawa all but eliminated from playoffs?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We're good enough to do it on paper, but we need to translate that to the ice. That Jets game aside, the players on the ice have been playing like we're already eliminated.

It's an uphill battle to be sure, but it's not impossible. One winning streak can change the entire outlook of the 6-7-8 seeds in the East. Closing a 5 point gap with 18 games left is do-able, but we need to "flip the switch" on a bunch of guys who are passengers on this team right now.

Someone in that dressing room needs to convince them that they still have a chance at this.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I have very little faith that they can make the playoffs, they are far too inconsistent defensively and the goaltending is just not cutting it.

On the other hand....

If they do make the playoffs, they will be going in as one of the hottest teams in the league :p

I expect though that Anaheim will appreciate their draft pick.

John Holmes*

wow at all the defeated fans, its not over till we get eliminated.

You ever have a girl call you, tell you that "we need to talk" then meet you in a public place before?

It's over.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I expect though that Anaheim will appreciate their draft pick.

Yeah, much like the Leafs with Kessel, Ottawa gets the scoring winger they desired, but the cost is very high.

That 1st could end up being in the 6, 7 or 8 range. Coupled with Silfverberg/Noesen, it was a hefty price to pay.

Hopefully for the Sens, Ryan will prove his worth.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It's not going to happen. I think we might make up 2-3 points by the end of the season, but barring a 10 game win streak, we just haven't shown the consistency to make up the 6+ points we'd need over 18 games.

Calgary and Edmonton broke us.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not thinking about the playoffs. I'm watching the last 18 games to see what the players do. Who will fold, who has pride in themselves and their jersey, who will step up and lead this team, who will show they want to be here, who plays hard regardless of the circumstances.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
on paper we have one of the easier next 5 games compared to the teams we are fighting with for a playoff spot...it just matters on if the team shows up to these games.

side note, is sportsclubstats working/updated for anyone?

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
It's all on Special teams and Andy right now.

As previously mentioned - if Godmode happens...it'll be close.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So a leafs fan says that the sens are his second favorite team? I call bs on that. Sorry.

And yes, we all know that our chances of making the playoffs are small.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think the majority of sens fans realize that the chances of playoffs this season are slim to nill.

Stranger things have happened though, there is still hope.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It has more to do about how they are playing than the math.

They haven't been consistent all year long.

Bingo! The team can go on a streak and still make it, but they haven't shown that level of play yet to prove that they still have that in them. In many "must win" situations this season, including the recent Alberta game, the team on the ice was gutless and showed no desire to give it all to make it in.

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
What's the point of this thread? Maybe we make it, maybe not. We have a chance. Why spread negativity? This is the team we have, and I'll be cheering till it's over.

John Holmes*

I'm not thinking about the playoffs. I'm watching the last 18 games to see what the players do. Who will fold, who has pride in themselves and their jersey, who will step up and lead this team, who will show they want to be here, who plays hard regardless of the circumstances.

Teams that are out of the race often play better as there is no pressure on them to make the playoffs anymore.

Probably not a good indication.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
They had great opportunities to close the gap and recently blew it against the Flames and Oilers...I don't think this team has enough pride to step up their game.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
the big hurdle is the number of teams we now have to climb over to get into the playoffs. If we were in a dead heat against Detroit things could potentially turn around quickly. However, with 3 teams between us and the last spot we do not easily make up ground unless all of them lose, which will not happen often.

It looks pretty grim, but there is a chance if the Sens can put together another 5 or 6 game win streak.

I love how this thread was started by a Leafs fan. Gotta remember this for next year when the Leafs fall back into the tank as their goaltending regresses back to career norms.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, this team that is showing up against the Preds tonight is not a playoff team.

If this is the effort we are going to get for the remaining games this year, we're done. It's all but official.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Finally a goal ... from Cowen of all people ... haha ... can they come back from a 3-0 deficit?

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Despite the loss we now have to go 12-5 to make it likely unlike the 13-4 it looked like when we were losing 3-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad