Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With MacK in net and the overall decent defence when they keep out of the box, they proved tonight they can remain competitive even without Pinelli. It was good to see them play without their crutch. They responded fairly well overall. Solid road game against a strong team.

Yanni with his best game as a 67 tonight. HE was under their skin the entire game, helped kill that final Penalty giving his stick to Marrelli and then dumping in front of shots. REALLY impressed with his game tonight.

Whitehead also with a strong game. He wasn’t trying to over-do it. HE found a way to contain his aggressiveness. Pots a SO goal.

I know I have said this a few times already but Eshkawkogan has alligator blood. The kid is unflappable. He plays with such maturity and poise.

Mews was better tonight.

Ekberg with two glorious chances in OT and flubbed both of them.

Reactions: Vector Calculus

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
While this is a rebuild year, and the next, it's important to remember that these are also years of potential growth. We may not have star players yet, but that's the natural progression from our early years. As for Boyd and the drafting, I'm still on the fence. DC is learning, but I have some concerns about the older players' receptiveness to his learning.
I still think the sooner they trade Mews the better,

Boyd needs to look around at other junior non-OHL teams and see if he can find players that can play 3rd and 4th line so that they have the bodies.

I agree that mentor wise MacK is good but if we do not have the forward r defence bodies then we need to look at trading him so that we have enough players to ice a team. You can not go a whole season with only enough players to ice a team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
While this is a rebuild year, and the next, it's important to remember that these are also years of potential growth. We may not have star players yet, but that's the natural progression from our early years. As for Boyd and the drafting, I'm still on the fence. DC is learning, but I have some concerns about the older players' receptiveness to his learning.
I still think the sooner they trade Mews the better,

Boyd needs to look around at other junior non-OHL teams and see if he can find players that can play 3rd and 4th line so that they have the bodies.

I agree that mentor wise MacK is good but if we do not have the forward r defence bodies then we need to look at trading him so that we have enough players to ice a team. You can not go a whole season with only enough players to ice a team.

We need to manage player cards as well. We cannot blow cards on temporary players. We don’t know what the future holds right now. We currently are on pace to assign 23 player cards (assuming the existing rookies all play 10 games). A 24th would go to Conway if he actually gets into games. That leaves us 6-7 remaining cards. We cannot afford to waste them on players that will play 5 minutes per game for a short period of time until the deadline moves are made.

There is no reason why they cannot play with 16 skaters now and then. It happens often when a player leaves the game with injury or there is sickness running through the room. It is not ideal but as long as it doesn’t get worse, it shouldn’t be a problem. Heck, there are posters on here that complain about young players not playing. The best way to get them playing is reduce the size of the bench!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well. If they wanna stay competitive then they need bodies. As simple as that. If you wanna tank and just give the kids as many minutes as possible then that sort of stuff is cool but if you wanna give this team a fair chance to make the playoffs, and I think that at least used to be the plan heading into the season, then this team is in need of bodies...because at the moment the burn rate is far too high. They're dropping off like flies.

Nice to see Yanni and Whitehead back to playoff form though. I hope they can keep it up. Those two and Barlas played some excellent shifts during playoffs but haven't really been playing on that level this season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well. If they wanna stay competitive then they need bodies. As simple as that. If you wanna tank and just give the kids as many minutes as possible then that sort of stuff is cool but if you wanna give this team a fair chance to make the playoffs, and I think that at least used to be the plan heading into the season, then this team is in need of bodies...because at the moment the burn rate is far too high. They're dropping off like flies.

Nice to see Yanni and Whitehead back to playoff form though. I hope they can keep it up. Those two and Barlas played some excellent shifts during playoffs but haven't really been playing on that level this season.

Again, if they acquire bodies, they cannot be temporary fill ins. They need to be guys that are here for the season.

They burnt a card on Hilton. If they burn two cards on random guys to fill temporary roster spots, that leaves them with no more than 5 remaining cards to play with at the deadline. It really limits their flexibility and options.

If it is about building a team/franchise, the main focus needs to be on allowing the GM to come out of the deadline with the best possible team, whether that is a team that is intended to compete or one that is intending to build for the future. Either way, they cannot just blow cards up because of one or two weekends short 2-3 skaters when DC doesn’t typically play the 4th line much anyway.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Only saw highlights so far from OHL site... No Rogers coverage...
Was there anyone attending this game live? Seems like no one in Brampton is interested?
Is this better than Mississauga?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Would that not have transferred in the trade? Why do they still hold that obligation? On a related note, is there somewhere to read the rules and regulations on player carding, roster composition, and affiliated players?

Cards don’t follow players. Cards are meant to limit the number of deals/movement. It is not like the NHL with roster spots etc.

All rookies are assigned cards once they play their 10th game. After they achieve that, they are on the full player card. Once they play game one the following seasons, they count as a card.

Hilton played over ten games so his first game this year was assigned a card.

Each of the rookies on the roster technically do not have a full card yet. They need to play 10 games but we assume they will play 10 games and then be assigned a card.

The only thing I am not sure of is Conway. I’m not sure if it is him on the player game sheet or actually on the ice.

Only saw highlights so far from OHL site... No Rogers coverage...
Was there anyone attending this game live? Seems like no one in Brampton is interested?
Is this better than Mississauga?

It was about the arena lease. They received a significantly better deal in Brantford. When your attendance is brutal, controlling costs becomes a big deal.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Cards don’t follow players. Cards are meant to limit the number of deals/movement. It is not like the NHL with roster spots etc.

All rookies are assigned cards once they play their 10th game. After they achieve that, they are on the full player card. Once they play game one the following seasons, they count as a card.

Hilton played over ten games so his first game this year was assigned a card.

Each of the rookies on the roster technically do not have a full card yet. They need to play 10 games but we assume they will play 10 games and then be assigned a card.

The only thing I am not sure of is Conway. I’m not sure if it is him on the player game sheet or actually on the ice.

It was about the arena lease. They received a significantly better deal in Brantford. When your attendance is brutal, controlling costs becomes a big deal.
The issue is that we need bodies at defence and forward. If that is the case, then we need to consider releasing Mack so that we have enough skaters.

We are coming in to flu season which could kill us. We need this year to be a write-off and develop players. The issue is not the players but that Boyd did not draft players who could play in the OHL in the past few years. Tourigny had the same issue; hence, his son made the team.

For me the team that makes sense right now is

Pinelli Foster Stonehouse Gerrior
Ekberg Dever Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Horner
Barlas Amidovski Kelly

Houben

7 D 2 OA

Nelson
Conway

We are not going to get a player for Gerrior or Stonehouse, but we need to waive and trade one of them.

While I would like to keep MacK to play this year and ease Nelson and Conway, I think we need the 7 D at least especially as we do not know what we will get back in trades for Mews and Pinelli.

Horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad