Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
A rather dispiriting 4-1 loss, 22 shots. The game was over by the 2nd. I'll try to find some positives.
- Nelson played well. He looked calm, steady, and ready to be the starter soon.
- Houden is getting better each game. Some real fight in him (if not actual fighting). And Horner was fiesty too.
- There were 3 solid bury-em hits against our smaller guys (which is almost everyone?) that they wobbled off from. Good for them to come back but if you're gonna be a munchkin you'd better be fast and agile.

Reactions: OMG67

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
It was hard to find good in today's feckless, soft effort. Sudbury was better, took better shots, hit more effectively, and dominated the faceoff circle. There are at least three players who look like they're waiting for a bus out of town. Our rookies from last year look confused out there. No playing time and precious concern for their development at the OHL level has cost them a year and it seems that our first pick this year is heading down the same road.

Nelson played well, but had very little support. That was about it, really.

Reactions: beastintheeast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It was hard to find good in today's feckless, soft effort. Sudbury was better, took better shots, hit more effectively, and dominated the faceoff circle. There are at least three players who look like they're waiting for a bus out of town. Our rookies from last year look confused out there. No playing time and precious concern for their development at the OHL level has cost them a year and it seems that our first pick this year is heading down the same road.

Nelson played well, but had very little support. That was about it, really.

Give the young guys half a year to find their way. They are all getting decent ice time. We need to wait on judgement through the 2nd half.

This is a bit of a rebuild year. It is what it is. It is good to try and angle the positives and not dwell on the negatives in a rebuilding year. I have no issues being hard on the team when they are set for success. But in a rebuild, I don’t typically angle the negatives on the players. If there are negatives, it is usually directed at the management and coaches that don’t take a rebuild approach.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
He looks like a little scared lost puppy dog. What has he done good?
Of course you are allowed your opinion but I don't agree. He's got a great motor, starting to show flashes of being a very good stickhandler and he set up Mayich beautifully on friday. Yes he's not the most physical but it's not his game, he's 160 lbs. That being said he hasn't shied away imo. He's gonna be a good player.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I know things will change when dietsch gets back but I am wondering with the amount of time Conway is here and the lack of fwd depth ifack and sirman might be off men out

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Give the young guys half a year to find their way. They are all getting decent ice time. We need to wait on judgement through the 2nd half.

This is a bit of a rebuild year. It is what it is. It is good to try and angle the positives and not dwell on the negatives in a rebuilding year. I have no issues being hard on the team when they are set for success. But in a rebuild, I don’t typically angle the negatives on the players. If there are negatives, it is usually directed at the management and coaches who don’t take a rebuild approach.
This is going to be a tough year, and we are going to have these games. Remember that we have 8 rookies on the team( yes, I am including last year's because DC did not develop them).

I agree tht we will have some good players next year after the break. We are not going to be a top team but we are going to get better. The challenge is for Boyd to treat this year as rebuilding anot try to compete with the big teams.

Reactions: OMG67

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
This is going to be a tough year, and we are going to have these games. Remember that we have 8 rookies on the team( yes, I am including last year's because DC did not develop them).

I agree tht we will have some good players next year after the break. We are not going to be a top team but we are going to get better. The challenge is for Boyd to treat this year as rebuilding anot try to compete with the big teams.
You just don’t understand it’s getting to be a little much I will be scrolling passed rather than reading your posts from here on out

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You just don’t understand it’s getting to be a little much I will be scrolling passed rather than reading your posts from here on out
What are you expecting out of this team this year?

Me it is simple I am looking at a team that except for maybe a couple of players is an average team without a major 1st line at this stage. I am looking at a team that is in the start of a rebuild.

I am disappointed in DC not developing or giving players last year a chance to develop. This year, the players are showing that they have the desire. They are showing that they belong. Whitehead was never going to be anything this year but a 3rd line center. That is what he is doing and from what I read and I see as his face off percentage he is doing a good job.

Next year, our top-scoring players at this point will be Foster if he comes back and Ekberg if he comes back. I am expecting Whitehead to take the leap to the second-line center. But we still don't have a lot of power and will be hard pressed to be a top contender with several other teams ahead of us in the development track.

If you do not share my thoughts, that is fine. We each have our own. BUT Please tell me where you see this team finishing and how you see it doing so.

My Prediction was that we would be fighting for 7-9 in the standings when it comes time for the playoffs.

Where do you see this team please enlighten me.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL, just for fun, I thought I would ask this.

How long have you been an OHL fan? 51 years minus 4 years gong to Laffs games and cheering for the other team
4 years of military hockey in Cold Lake, Alberta.

How long have you been a 67 faN 92-present

What other OHL team did you cheer for? 73-84 Kingston Canadians Those were the good days LOL

@OMG67 I think you are close to this are you not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What are you expecting out of this team this year?

Me it is simple I am looking at a team that except for maybe a couple of players is an average team without a major 1st line at this stage. I am looking at a team that is in the start of a rebuild.

I am disappointed in DC not developing or giving players last year a chance to develop. This year, the players are showing that they have the desire. They are showing that they belong. Whitehead was never going to be anything this year but a 3rd line center. That is what he is doing and from what I read and I see as his face off percentage he is doing a good job.

Next year, our top-scoring players at this point will be Foster if he comes back and Ekberg if he comes back. I am expecting Whitehead to take the leap to the second-line center. But we still don't have a lot of power and will be hard pressed to be a top contender with several other teams ahead of us in the development track.

If you do not share my thoughts, that is fine. We each have our own. BUT Please tell me where you see this team finishing and how you see it doing so.

My Prediction was that we would be fighting for 7-9 in the standings when it comes time for the playoffs.

Where do you see this team please enlighten me.

Rather than just focus on Cameron not developing players, also consider what young prospects he has had to develop. Over five seasons; Boyd must have traded away 30 higher picks for Mintyukov and OAs, used two first picks on defects, and too many of the remaining higher picks on players 5’10”’or less.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rather than just focus on Cameron not developing players, also consider what young prospects he has had to develop. Over five seasons; Boyd must have traded away 30 higher picks for Mintyukov and OAs, used two first picks on defects, and too many of the remaining higher picks on players 5’10”’or less.
I was asked to give Boyd and Cameron a chance to show me something this year and be nice. In fairness he has drafted good defenceman just can't seem to find the forwards. Yes Pinelli and Foster are good but. We shall see how Whitehead Yanni and Amidovski anet all turn out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I was asked to give Boyd and Cameron a chance to show me something this year and be nice. In fairness he has drafted good defenceman just can't seem to find the forwards. Yes Pinelli and Foster are good but. We shall see how Whitehead Yanni and Amidovski anet all turn out.

Coming away with one forward 6’ drafted though round four 2021-23 is not something I subscribe to.
Having said that, the drafting and development of Barlas, Pinelli, Foster, Gardiner, and Dever from the ‘21 draft is about as good as anyone could reasonably expect of that particular draft.

Boyd drafted 3 defencemen out of the four first round picks 2022-24. I think it would be reasonable to expect the ‘67s D to be among the best in the league next season.

It is too early to judge the development of Kelly, Yanni, and Whitehead imo. I would say anytime before the end of the 2024-25 season is too soon to judge. Pinelli breaking out early says more about his talent and desire than it does coaching.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There have been two failures.

1> The inability or willingness to chase a Championship while focusing on being good every year.
2> The inability to get any of the mid-round NCAA bound players to sign.

The first one has been discussed at length. In 2019, Boyd was out-GM’d by Burnett. Then in 2023 he was out GM’d by Oak. Plain and simple. Each of those two teams could have and likely should have Won a championship with the right moves (and sacrifices) at the deadline.

The second point is more important from my perspective. Since 2019 we’ve used a lot of picks in the 5th to 8th rounds on high risk US players with commitments to US Schools. Boucher did end up in Ottawa but not because Boyd managed to convince a player to sign but because the Ottawa Senators arranged it. I have no issues with rolling the dice on high risk players. But, if you are going to do it, you need to have it payoff at least once every three seasons. You need to get someone signed. Even this year, he picked Vandenberg int he 5th round and couldn’t even get the local boy signed.

With the proposed new rule change related to eligibility for NCAA, Boyd may start to be able to recruit those players easier but so will all of the other teams. It is more likely those players will be drafted earlier going forward. We should keep an eye on Vandenberg, Barnett x2, Williams, Zajic, McKinney, White….. see if Boyd can convince any of those guys to suit up for the 67’s. From my perspective, this a primary area of focus I would be using to judge the GM’s. Clearing the top focus is scouting.drafting overall but the ability or inability to recruit high risk players is essential to the success of a franchise and points directly to how respected the franchise is.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013

This is a bit of a rebuild year. It is what it is. It is good to try and angle the positives and not dwell on the negatives in a rebuilding year. I have no issues being hard on the team when they are set for success. But in a rebuild, I don’t typically angle the negatives on the players. If there are negatives, it is usually directed at the management and coaches that don’t take a rebuild approach.
Well, that's certainly the theory, but the lacklustre performances this weekend make me question management and coaching right now. Players who should have been hitting their stride last year are still struggling and some of the veterans are seemingly just playing out the string. A mediocre PP, a dreadful PK, and weak scoring make for a long season.

I can live with a rebuild. In my 47 years as a STH, I've seen many such efforts, I hope to see many more. I just need to see signs of one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad