Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The deal is done. He will have to negotiate an OA contract. What he can negotiate, Idk.

From what I understand, the standard ohl education package is paid at the rates of tuiton and books at the university nearest the home adress for up to fours years towards an (undergraduate?) degree. Players are not getting a masters or better degree covered without getting school, government, ...bursaries.
But the $ amount accrued could conceivably cover costs in addition to books and tuition if the player managed enough university courses covered by the team while playing to graduate in less than four years. It would be wise for a NB kid to take advantage of university courses covered by the ohl team while playing if intent on going to McGill.
I'm just wondering then how kids end up in the East Coast universities. There must be some sort of agreement. LOL

Anyway, from my perspective, I really do not see a reason that a player who does not fit into a team's future would play a year OA unless they get some assistance from the university during that year.

The 67’s are a smaller speedy team with solid structure and overall, solid puck movement. That will always make them competitive. From a regular season success perspective, it will come down to whether they have enough scoring. They also generally have strong goaltending and decent defence.

The way the 67’s play favours them in the early season. DC always has them properly prepared. They are also very well conditioned.

There are many reasons why Ottawa is presenting as a strong team right now. The question is whether it can be maintained AND whether that strength can be measured against the top teams they need to compete with. That answer won’t likely come about for another couple months.
Agreed, the mistake we made last year was that we looked at how well the team is performing and thought they could maintain after the deadline when a lot of other teams added more and got better as their rookies started to understand the game.

Hopefuly we will not make that mistake this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm just wondering then how kids end up in the East Coast universities. There must be some sort of agreement. LOL

Anyway, from my perspective, I really do not see a reason that a player who does not fit into a team's future would play a year OA unless they get some assistance from the university during that year.

Agreed, the mistake we made last year was that we looked at how well the team is performing and thought they could maintain after the deadline when a lot of other teams added more and got better as their rookies started to understand the game.

Last year wasn’t a mistake. The mistake was not doing enough to secure their chance. Actually, the mistake was the previous year not doing enough which in turn would have made last year irrelevant because we wouldn’t have been in the same position.

Boyd has proven to have a bad habit of doing the absolute minimum required to say he did something without doing anything.

The question now is if this is a sell year, will he sell for real or will he point to Gardiner and whomever he sells as an OA…which AGAIN, would be saying he did something without really doing anything…. Never buy enough and never sell enough. We will find out this year because the other side of the coin is flipping over.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
there are schools in the east with good sports budgets
not all 20 yr olds have their futures mapped out, and playing major jr will be some the best times in those kids lives

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Last year wasn’t a mistake. The mistake was not doing enough to secure their chance. Actually, the mistake was the previous year not doing enough which in turn would have made last year irrelevant because we wouldn’t have been in the same position.

Boyd has proven to have a bad habit of doing the absolute minimum required to say he did something without doing anything.

The question now is if this is a sell year, will he sell for real or will he point to Gardiner and whomever he sells as an OA…which AGAIN, would be saying he did something without really doing anything…. Never buy enough and never sell enough. We will find out this year because the other side of the coin is flipping over.
To be a seller, this team has to definitely trade Pinnelli. If they can get a good return, then also look at Foster. Depending on Marelli and Mews maturity then I would think we can trade Mayich. If Mews has the desire to play somewhere else then trade him and get what you can but keep Mayich

There is a lot of possible moving parts. If Boyd wants people to take him seriously as a GM then he needs to make the right moves this deadline or he will be a GM in the OHL for awhile.
there are schools in the east with good sports budgets

not all 20 yr olds have their futures mapped out, and playing major jr will be some the best times in those kids lives
At this stage of their hockeylife they should know what they are going to do as hockey. Unfortunatley if you are a 3rd line as best player as 19 year old on a team that is rebuilding I think you can say good bye to Pro hockey.

The question then is, does he have the marks to go to university or College? You would think that parents and agent, as well as the school guidance counsellors, will already be talking to him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think any discussion regarding Grades and aptitude are meaningless. It would only affect their ability to qualify for the Hockey Programs at Universities. The Scholarships themselves are set up so that the players can use the funding for any program they want including Degree, Diploma, and Certificate programs including trade schools. By the time they decide to move away from Pro Hockey options, any hockey played is more for their own personal enjoyment. Not many from UNB or StFX are moving on to any meaningful Pro Hockey after graduation. We do see some sign for a year or two in the ECHL but those are outliers, not the norm. Dan Tudin is an example of a player that went four years in University, graduated, signed in the ECHL and ended up playing almost 20 years in Italy. But, again, that is the exception. Far from the norm. Generally speaking, once they graduate, they move into their chosen field of study and start working.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Wakely headed to Barrie. The top three keep getting tougher! That means you can push Tai York into the #4 OA slot on my list. He is likely to be moved when Jelsma returns from injury. Barrie is starting to look very scary on paper. Whatever Barrie does with York would be moderately comparable to what Ottawa would do if they chose to move Gerrior out. I think that is a moderately decent comparable. I am curious to see what happens there.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad