Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Agree with all these takes with the exception maybe of Dietsch. With how they seem to be sheltering Brady already and how little ice Dietsch got last year, I wonder if a Dietsch/Brady pairing will see even 8-12 minutes a game…
My comment was meant that we don't have enough defense right now not to play Sirman.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is a bit of a conundrum right now with respect to playing rookies and developing rookies. Those are two different things. Keeping it real, here is my list of rookies:

Whitehead
Hilton
Yanni
Houben
Amidovski
Brady
Dietsch
Eshkawkogan
Nelson

I have purposely left Ekberg off this list because he played with Pro hockey players in Sweden last year and although he is a rookie to the league, the expectations are much higher and thus he cannot be treated like a rookie. Additionally, I know there are players on that list that played full seasons last year “on paper” but didn’t really play for real. So, really, they should be more advanced than the true rookies (Amidovski and Eshkawkogan) but I still don’t feel we should raise expectations significantly for the “returning rookies.”

That is NINE Rookies that we need to find a way of inserting into the lineup while also protecting the minutes they play in such a way as to advance their skills without breaking their confidence. It is not often a team has that many shiny new toys they need to break in.

I know there is some dissatisfaction surrounding not playing them enough but that equates to the bottom half of the forwards and defence plus the backup goalie.

From my perspective and from what I have seen so far, Amidvski, Eshkawkogan, Whitehead, and Nelson will have no issues handling more responsibility really soon. By really soon, I mean within the next few weeks. I think all of those players will start to become part of the core of the team and there will be no rotation affecting them.

That leaves Hilton, Houben, and Yanni up front and Dietsch and Brady on the back end that need to still gain the confidence of the coaching staff. Dietsch and Brady won’t get scratched but they will see significantly less ice time until they prove capable of more ice time. It is what it is.

As that second group improves and becomes more capable, it not only allows the coaching staff to play them more minutes but it also allows Boyd to potentially move a veteran or two in a trade, thus opening space for those younger players to not need to rotate as much.

That is the path we are on now. Protect the young guys, allow them an opportunity to catch the speed of the league, maintain their confidence while on that path and then open a spot for them when they have demonstrated capable of playing every game in multiple situations.

This team will be touch and go for a playoff spot. I really don’t see a lot separating 7-9 (NB, Ottawa, Niagara). If we read the tea leaves, Niagara isn’t going to sell. If anything, they will add. NB will sell (starting with Wakely this week). Ottawa may source a centre once they decide Foster isnt’ the answer (if they decide Foster isn’t the answer). But, in the aggregate, they will be a seller.

Reactions: dirty12

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
While I was surprised Amidovski was scratched opening night, I guess if there are rotations going to happen, you give him his first game in his hometown.
Opening night is the team's chance to showcase its draftees and build some fan enthusiasm. That's why they introduce the team and the captains and the new draft class. Amidovski has probably been the best player in his local age group for years. To scratch him for the first game was not a good idea. Based on his play yesterday, it was a terrible idea. He was solid all night and involved in both of Foster's goals.
Ekberg will play between Pinelli and Foster soon. Give him a few games to get accustomed.

Eshkawkogen is the real deal. Going to be fun watching him for the next three or four years. Amidovski will be a stud as well.

Last thing. Everyone needs to relax a bit. It's two games into the season. A season with no real expectations.
Ekberg needs to replace Korbler on the ice. He is a far more effective player at this point. Korbler has had a lot of PP time and struggles to use it. I agree on Eshkawkogan. He fits right in.

Yes, it's early, but the fan base has had months to stew over last year. My expectation is that we will struggle to make the playoffs, but what I'd like to see is a foundation built for the next two years.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Has there been a more invisible forward in the first two games? Especially given his linemates…
Korbler got screwed up in the DC I don't play rookies ethos. There is a much higher level from Uronen, and the other thing to take into consideration is whether he would have come back to this team looking at it the way it is or if he would have used his option to stay at home or try ECHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Opening night is the team's chance to showcase its draftees and build some fan enthusiasm. That's why they introduce the team and the captains and the new draft class. Amidovski has probably been the best player in his local age group for years. To scratch him for the first game was not a good idea. Based on his play yesterday, it was a terrible idea. He was solid all night and involved in both of Foster's goals.

Ekberg needs to replace Korbler on the ice. He is a far more effective player at this point. Korbler has had a lot of PP time and struggles to use it. I agree on Eshkawkogan. He fits right in.

I dont’ think Korbler will be replaced EVER. He seems to be in the good graces of DC and I dont’ see how that would change.

Yes, it's early, but the fan base has had months to stew over last year. My expectation is that we will struggle to make the playoffs, but what I'd like to see is a foundation built for the next two years.

I think next season may be a little tough as well unfortunately. It is hard to say where we will fit in but a lot needs to go right this year from a development standpoint for next year to be competitive. Nelson needs to prove to be a capable starter. Dietsch and Brady need to step into a 2nd pairing role. Whitehead needs to step into a 2C role. At least half of the young wingers (Hilton, Houben, Yanni, Perrier) need to prove capable of playing middle nine roles.

I also feel we’d need to move Korbler and use the early Import pick we’d get this offseason. I doubt that happens.

On top of that, we have to hope there are no more players “unhappy” with their situation requesting a trade. We’ve already heard rumblings of Mews not being happy. How many others are there?

Korbler got screwed up in the DC I don't play rookies ethos. There is a much higher level from Uronen, and the other thing to take into consideration is whether he would have come back to this team looking at it the way it is or if he would have used his option to stay at home or try ECHL

Are you for real? He played first line RW last year with Kressler and Pinelli for the entire second half of the season and playoffs. He also played 2nd unit PP and on the PK. How much more ice time can you give a kid?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I dont’ think Korbler will be replaced EVER. He seems to be in the good graces of DC and I dont’ see how that would change.

I think next season may be a little tough as well unfortunately. It is hard to say where we will fit in but a lot needs to go right this year from a development standpoint for next year to be competitive. Nelson needs to prove to be a capable starter. Dietsch and Brady need to step into a 2nd pairing role. Whitehead needs to step into a 2C role. At least half of the young wingers (Hilton, Houben, Yanni, Perrier) need to prove capable of playing middle nine roles.

I also feel we’d need to move Korbler and use the early Import pick we’d get this offseason. I doubt that happens.

On top of that, we have to hope there are no more players “unhappy” with their situation requesting a trade. We’ve already heard rumblings of Mews not being happy. How many others are there?

Are you for real? He played first line RW last year with Kressler and Pinelli for the entire second half of the season and playoffs. He also played 2nd unit PP and on the PK. How much more ice time can you give a kid?
It is too early to count Korbler out we have to wait and see what he does.

This is basically the team Boyd built. Now we have to see what DC can do with it.

Diestcsh is going to have trouble when he comes back. First, he is a rookie, and second, he will be getting into game shape.

Mews is a conundrum and is easily solved. Either DC sorts him out with the help of the Flames scouts or if he is not interested trade him. BUT not to a contender.

2 things one it is early in the season and things on this team are fluid

the otheer is that we have him and ther really is nothing that they can do at this stage but play him as we are short RW and need them.

I think he is ther because he is a DC fav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad