Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It is tough to say because he was injured as a Junior. So, IMO it is likely they reassign him to the OHL to start the year. He would remain on the 67’s roster as an OA through the November deadline when they need to get down to four OA’s. The 67’s then would need to make a decision if they have five OA’s rostered. If they only have the four rostered then that makes it pretty easy. They play the other three until he returns from injury, rotate the four when he returns from injury. Then sometime between then and the deadline they make a trade.

You may be correct, though. Edmonton could AHL roster him, pay him about $30k to rehab through December and then reassign him. I doubt they would NHL Injured Reserve him. That would be real $$$ to do so.
generally if your injured and on an nhl contract, you stay on that nhl contract until your cleared, no matter where the injury occured, i think its an insurance issue, he was hurt while under contract, so the nhl team leads the treatment. i doubt that he will be in edmonton, but he will just not be re-assigned until he is cleared, i could be wrong on that but thats how its worked before.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
generally if your injured and on an nhl contract, you stay on that nhl contract until your cleared, no matter where the injury occured, i think its an insurance issue, he was hurt while under contract, so the nhl team leads the treatment. i doubt that he will be in edmonton, but he will just not be re-assigned until he is cleared, i could be wrong on that but thats how its worked before.

Makes sense. I assume that means he would be paid his NHL contract rate while completing rehab? If so, that is good for him.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I had heard this Uronen trade was impending. We may find out as early as tomorrow the path that Boyd will put this team on this season and next...personally I'm hoping for a younger prospect that'll be part of a re-tool/re-set for the 67s. I'm cautiously optimistic that Boyd has a prospect identified if he's willing to part with a good player in Uronen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m happy they got something tangible in return for Uronen. The assumption clearly is they have a target in mind. They pick at #33. When you pick that early, you really need to use it.

I can’t remember who told me but I was told that there is a likelihood of it being a Russian D-Man that they have identified. I am not sure if that is a target or an actual agreement etc but if they draft a Russian D-Man, don’t be surprised. In a lot of ways, that does make some sense. They will likely have an OA D-Man (Mayich or Sirman) plus Mews and Marrelli. But, after that it is a bit of a challenge. They will likely dress three relative rookies (Brady, Dietsch, Eshkawkogan) to round out their top 6 based on current depth chart. So, I would not be surprised if their target is 18 years old and has a lot more experience.

The challenge is if they do pick a “prospect” type player as a 17 year old, they will return both that player and Korbler the following season. If they finish low in the standings this year, they will have another high Import pick. What would be interesting is if they decided to trade one of those imports to make room for the high Import pick in 2025. Something to keep an eye on if the 67s end up retooling. You can trade the Import player but you cannot trade the actual pick. So, they could end up with a pick int he early 20’s that they end up passing on which may not be good.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Does anybody know the conditions? Can the picks improve or just activate based on games played/points?
I'd guess so - the weird thing is the OHL Website lists an extra conditional 2027 FLNT 5th going to Ottawa that neither team mentioned in their posts so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Late to the party on this, but I am genuinely shocked that Marrelli went undrafted, especially after having a very solid World U-18 tournament. I underestimated just how strong the swing was back to big boy hockey. You would think that the later rounds would be the place where teams could take a flier on smaller guys but apparently not this year. It's not like Marrelli is 5'8" either - he's 5'11". These things go in cycles, and soon enough teams will be back to looking for skill when some of the dancing bears they drafted in the late rounds don't pan out, but in the meantime Frankie is going to have to do it the hard way.

Meanwhile, I have no idea why Calgary drafted Henry Mews when they already drafted Zayne Parekh. To me they are pretty similar players. Don't misunderstand - I think Mews was crazy good value in the third round for any team taking him, and I think he will show pretty quickly that he should have gone much earlier, but I'm just surprised that a team would take two offensive defencemen in the same draft...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Just asking thoughts on this- I don’t have any information but what do you think the chances Marelli asks to go to another team so he can be the star d man and hopefully get drafted next year? It’s no secret mews was the big star between the 2 and maybe NHL guys looked down on Marelli because of it.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Just asking thoughts on this- I don’t have any information but what do you think the chances Marelli asks to go to another team so he can be the star d man and hopefully get drafted next year? It’s no secret mews was the big star between the 2 and maybe NHL guys looked down on Marelli because of it.

Assuming Mayich is traded, Marrelli will be the top-pairing LHS d-man (with Mews) for the 67s this upcoming season. If Sirman is traded instead of Mayich, Marrelli maybe bumps down to the second pairing. Personally, I don't think exposure is Marrelli's problem insofar as the draft is concerned; he played a ton of minutes for the 67s last season (and played on the 3rd pairing for almost the entire 2022-2023 season as a 16-year old rookie) at ES, 2nd PP unit at times, and served as one of the core PKers. He also played on the Canadian U-18 team (and played well).

Marrelli's problem is likely that he is a jack of all trades, master of none. And he doesn't have great size for one of those sorts of d-men. He lacks the size/strength (for now) to really muscle opponents around in the d-zone. He works his ass off and he's good in all facets of the game, but isn't really outstanding at any one thing. Personally, I think he's been a better d-man for the 67s than has Mews, in terms of reliability, consistency, and ability to play in any situation.

Would be interesting to get a scout's take on Marrelli.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Interesting so at this stage kingston has 4 import players possibly on their books if you listen to the threads.

Chromiak
Ufronrn
Hemstrom
Pieneimini

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Assuming Mayich is traded, Marrelli will be the top-pairing LHS d-man (with Mews) for the 67s this upcoming season. If Sirman is traded instead of Mayich, Marrelli maybe bumps down to the second pairing. Personally, I don't think exposure is Marrelli's problem insofar as the draft is concerned; he played a ton of minutes for the 67s last season (and played on the 3rd pairing for almost the entire 2022-2023 season as a 16-year old rookie) at ES, 2nd PP unit at times, and served as one of the core PKers. He also played on the Canadian U-18 team (and played well).

Marrelli's problem is likely that he is a jack of all trades, master of none. And he doesn't have great size for one of those sorts of d-men. He lacks the size/strength (for now) to really muscle opponents around in the d-zone. He works his ass off and he's good in all facets of the game, but isn't really outstanding at any one thing. Personally, I think he's been a better d-man for the 67s than has Mews, in terms of reliability, consistency, and ability to play in any situation.

Would be interesting to get a scout's take on Marrelli.

Agreed 100%. I think players that play like him need to bigger. They tend to be projected as 3rd pairing types that have a very specific role. If you take a look at a player like Codi Ceci at 6’3”, if he weren’t able to develop his offensive skills to translate at the NHL level, at least he would have some size and could fall back to a 3rd pairing role. I think that safety net is what teams are looking for on defence. Either they look at high skill high ceiling offensive talent or big body offensive upside that can play the defensive side in a more physical role. There really isn’t much of a place for a sub-6’1” D-Man that isn’t offensively gifted. I think that is a reason why Mews dropped so much. He is pretty much at the borderline size wise (6’1”) and hasn’t shown the ability to play quality defence. There doesn’t seem to be much of a safety net for him. Either he is a #1/#3 guy that moves the puck and get PP time professionally or he isn’t a pro. I don’t think anyone looks at Mews as a defensive stalwart.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Agreed 100%. I think players that play like him need to bigger. They tend to be projected as 3rd pairing types that have a very specific role. If you take a look at a player like Codi Ceci at 6’3”, if he weren’t able to develop his offensive skills to translate at the NHL level, at least he would have some size and could fall back to a 3rd pairing role. I think that safety net is what teams are looking for on defence. Either they look at high skill high ceiling offensive talent or big body offensive upside that can play the defensive side in a more physical role. There really isn’t much of a place for a sub-6’1” D-Man that isn’t offensively gifted. I think that is a reason why Mews dropped so much. He is pretty much at the borderline size wise (6’1”) and hasn’t shown the ability to play quality defence. There doesn’t seem to be much of a safety net for him. Either he is a #1/#3 guy that moves the puck and get PP time professionally or he isn’t a pro. I don’t think anyone looks at Mews as a defensive stalwart.
The worst thing that could happen to Marrelli is to keep him with Mews. He needs to be the second pairing with a different RHD man

The big question is, who does Boyd have on his list that is coming here as an import?

Hopefully it is a RH Center of D man

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
the hockey news write up on Frankie

Frankie Marrelli, LHD, Ottawa (OHL)​

He’s an undersized blueliner who plays a defensive game and didn’t really get the chance to show off his offensive chops this year. He came into the year as a player who many believed had an outside shot at being a top-50 pick, but he didn’t have a standout trait. Because of this, he struggled to differentiate himself among the group of defenders in the mid-late rounds. Marelli should be a player that teams keep tabs on over the next few years as his role and opportunity grows in the OHL.

Reactions: OMG67 and NoQuit67s

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Another small centre..jeez guys. Per Scott Wheeler:

"Rumblings in recent months that he might have interest in coming over. Would be a nice get."

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Looks like he has played up age levels for the past few years. pretty good production for a 17 year old in a u20 league. Pretty good international stats as well.

1720021552340.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad