Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Other than the goal where he gave up the rebound (the 2nd I believe), the goals have been good. he would have needed to make the big save somehow to keep them out.

It isn't really Andree. I think the team in front of him was far too passive and repeatedly tried bad passes at the wrong time. The late surge isn't impressive. Getting two goals when you're down 3 is nothing but perhaps a bit of motivation. We shall see. We never did get that big save, but I didn't see anywhere enough push from the whole team.

Reactions: bert

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It isn't really Andree. I think the team in front of him was far too passive and repeatedly tried bad passes at the wrong time. The late surge isn't impressive. Getting two goals when you're down 3 is nothing but perhaps a bit of motivation. We shall see. We never did get that big save, but I didn't see anywhere enough push from the whole team.

100%

Guelph was not as impressive tonight as Game 3. Game 3 they really pushed hard and controlled the play. I don’t think either team played well tonight or at least not well enough to be happy with anything other than a win in the column for Guelph.

Ottawa needs to get back to playing with their chests out. they don’t play well scared and that is exactly how they are playing right now, scared. They are too worried about what the other team is going to do to them so they are trying to limit the damage. They need to inflict the damage and that starts with playing with their chests out.

Play their game. If they lose 9-8 so be it but they will NOT win playing scared. Open up and make it a goaltender battle I’d necessary.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Watched the game it seemed to me Ottawa was slow especially in period two picked it up in the third see if that carries over to game five.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I would like to see Quinn replacing Clarke with Chem. Everytime he touches the puck he's making creative plays. We also need Rossi/ Felhaber to get going. On a good note Bahl seemed to get more comfortable as the game went on.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Tourigny will also have to think about his line match-ups for Game 5. Guelph's top line has just been abusing us for two games straight - we have no answer for them, and need to find one quickly.
I'd put Chem/Clark/Keats on them as we have the last line change.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I don’t think either team played well tonight or at least not well enough to be happy with anything other than a win in the column for Guelph.

Gotta watch these Storm boys they are masters of the “Ugly Win” and before you know it you’re trying to figure out what club to use on the impending Par 3? Ottawa has to up the pace and roll the depth if they want to move on? Best of 3 with 2 games at home still in a favourable spot.

Reactions: rangersblues

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The goaltending has not been great, they can't make good passes and they are playing scared. Hoefenmeyer tries a pass out of his own zone it barely gets over the blueline and then he has to take a penalty to stop Suzuki. They were just flipping the puck out to nobody in particular, no tape to tape passes and have difficulty even getting shots off.

They don't look like a very confident team, coach seems lost as to what is his next step and overall it does not look good.

I wish they would go all out with the speed that got them here, quit trying to always worry about being defensive against the Guelph stars and win 8 to 7 or lose by the same score. Guelph shoots the puck in our zone and causes havoc all the time, Ottawa shoots the puck in and hardly deploys any pressure. I also agree that Quinn should be moved up and Clarke down in the lineup. Quinn is the only one who at least holds onto the puck for some extended time.

They really have to play off the crowd in game 5 and should they come up short well I think our destiny is predetermined.

Great year, good playoff run but the mountain is getting much harder to climb.

Best of luck and I hope they can somehow pull off the series win.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
LR8, Jan 13, 2019
Mistake not too strengthen the d at the deadline. They have looked out of their element this weekend. Speed is a bit of an issue but lack of puck skills is a real issue. Turn overs, throwing pucks away, and poor pp presence. Lots of time to fix it but work to do. Not sure the skill is there?​

Stand by the above. Millpond pointed out Durzi was available. 67's do not seem to have the back end needed to play at higher speed and skill level required. There is a stylistic difference between the forward and defence groups. Either be big grinding, banging type of team like the D, or a smaller speed, skill group like the forwards. When one group does not compliment the other to some degree, both have issues. You can't change the forwards into a big banging, heavy group (nor should you as that game is done), so hopefully the D can pick up the skill level and pace to play with and complement the forward group. It is not over but cracks are beginning to show.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I felt embarrassed for quite a few players on the 67s last night. So many terrible decisions with the puck. The sequence before Suzukis goal was disgusting hockey. How you come out and play like that after getting stomped is mind blowing to me. How many soft turnovers can you make in a playoff game consecutively?

I get why Noel Hoefenmier hasnt been signed, he will never play in the NHL, my goodness he is either insanely selfish or just that stupid. He has offensive talent but he is only thinking about number 1 out there right now.

Agreed that Quinn should move up the games moving too fast for Clarke.

This team really needs to up its compete level/commitment to team play so many passengers. They need smart crisp responsible plays with the puck. Just far too careless.

Chmlevski was throwing the body, Hoelscher line was good, great to see Bahl back playing he got better as the game went on but other than that I didnt see many positives. I thought Andree was directly responsible for goals 2 and 3. He needs to be better too.

Big game friday, if they dont win that one its likely curtains. We will see what they are made of.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I disagree hockey comments are quite welcome Storm watcher. Great to have comments from other fans to fuel the discussion.
In all fairness that poster isnt exactly the type that can add to a discussion with the oppositions fan base. He loves his team which there is absolutely nothing wrong with but the post robray quoted is clearly an antagonostic post on another teams form. I am all for discussing with the oppositions fans but only if their intentions are to actually discuss not flame. There are some 67s fans that are the same and they should likely stay on their own form as well.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
LR8, Jan 13, 2019
Mistake not too strengthen the d at the deadline. They have looked out of their element this weekend. Speed is a bit of an issue but lack of puck skills is a real issue. Turn overs, throwing pucks away, and poor pp presence. Lots of time to fix it but work to do. Not sure the skill is there?​

Stand by the above. Millpond pointed out Durzi was available. 67's do not seem to have the back end needed to play at higher speed and skill level required. There is a stylistic difference between the forward and defence groups. Either be big grinding, banging type of team like the D, or a smaller speed, skill group like the forwards. When one group does not compliment the other to some degree, both have issues. You can't change the forwards into a big banging, heavy group (nor should you as that game is done), so hopefully the D can pick up the skill level and pace to play with and complement the forward group. It is not over but cracks are beginning to show.
I agreed that the defense needed an upgrade at trade deadline time but a lot of people were saying oh we are just fine. I was hoping for Durzi, Eliot, etc. who would have really helped puck movement with our speedy forwards. The defense is too slow and as a result we are always stuck in our own end. George Burnett is a very good coach and he is exploiting the cracks in our armour.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
In all fairness that poster isnt exactly the type that can add to a discussion with the oppositions fan base. He loves his team which there is absolutely nothing wrong with but the post robray quoted is clearly an antagonostic post on another teams form. I am all for discussing with the oppositions fans but only if their intentions are to actually discuss not flame. There are some 67s fans that are the same and they should likely stay on their own form as well.

I was actually quoting a post about Guelph's top line. I'm not a poster who intentionally antagonizes, Guelph's board can be quiet at times so I pop in and follow other threads. Robray, alternatively, has had 179 posts over 8 years and conveniently pops up when Ottawa is on a roll. No disrespect intended. I posted over on the Storm forum that I appreciate good, competitive hockey and am glad we have a series. Ottawa adding DiPietro was a great move. I don't get a chance to see much of Ottawa so I can't comment on line match ups with much knowledge, but the shake up 67 fans have suggested, that drops G. Clarke, a goal scorer, to the third line may be the ticket.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
LR8, Jan 13, 2019

As an outsider, it was awesome seeing the 67's go all in for DiPietro but then so disappointing that they didn't do anything to upgrade the defence. With DiPietro likely headed to the AHL next season, it's surprising that they would go all in for a rental without upgrading the support in front of him. I realize that Ottawa probably wanted to save some assets for next season as well but what they did was similar to sharping one hockey skate but not the other.

Reactions: dirty12 and LR8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With regards to deadline moves:

1 - I figured they should have added a D-Man and I targeted Durzi the day he was returned to the OHL. Unfortunately, he and Suzuki were a package deal at both of their request so if we wanted Durzi, we had to take Suzuki and with that pony up a package our management team was uncomfortable with. The focus then should have shifted to Mattinen but that would have eliminated Chiodo so I guess it comes down to forward or defence.

They were pretty deep up front but I really wanted Saigeon so we'd have a bigger body presence. I like Mak and Chiodo but Saigeon, to me, would have been a great fit.

No sense in crying about it now though. The team is what the team is. If they win, the management looks like geniuses. If they lose, they will wear goat horns. It will also question our ability to contend next year considering if this team was unable to get it done this year, what cost will if be to get it done next year?!

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
this is a very good hockey team with tones of talent, starting to see some signs of wear and tear which is just part of playoff hockey, guys playing with injuries and so on. Any good playoff run has adversity and this team has just faced a little in the last couple of games, you want #NOQUIT it starts in game 5. Time to Cowboy Up!

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

Translation:

The 67's weren't supposed to practice today, but the leadership group wanted to jump on the ice for fun. Micheal Dipietro tried to skate. Didn't stay long. Ankle sprain less severe than first thought. #DayToDay

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad