Value of: Ottawa 2022 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Boeser on paper seems like fair value, but if I’m Ottawa can’t risk him just not signing long term and heading to UFA. Also if he signs long-term it’s not going to be cheap or on a discount so have to ask if he’s a guy they would want to make the 3rd highest paid on the team between 7-8M.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
The pick is high enough that it's interesting in a tk package but there'd have to be more coming Philly's way. If you are looking for a similar deal to oel Kevin Hayes is 29 and I'd do him for the pick even up

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
The pick is high enough that it's interesting in a tk package but there'd have to be more coming Philly's way. If you are looking for a similar deal to oel Kevin Hayes is 29 and I'd do him for the pick even up

pfft I’m sure you would…woof

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

LOL at Ottawa trading their 1st round pick for Kevin Hayes

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Instead of trading the pick for say... Garland. Just keep it and sign a guy like Palat for "free" as a UFA.

Only way I trade this pick is for a legit goalie like Gibson. That's me anyways.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Instead of trading the pick for say... Garland. Just keep it and sign a guy like Palat for "free" as a UFA.

Only way I trade this pick is for a legit goalie like Gibson. That's me anyways.
You know free agents get a say in where they sign, right? You understand that teams don't just get to claim them like they're on waivers?

The pick for JT Miller. I know the risks. But he's also a leader/warrior type, not just another weiner who needs a leader/warrior type around(Boeser). Ottawa has plenty of time, cap space, and ice time to convince him to stick around.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You know free agents get a say in where they sign, right? You understand that teams don't just get to claim them like they're on waivers?

The pick for JT Miller. I know the risks. But he's also a leader/warrior type, not just another weiner who needs a leader/warrior type around(Boeser). Ottawa has plenty of time, cap space, and ice time to convince him to stick around.

Stop pretending like anyone isn't aware of any of this.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This pick is absolutely not for sale. Makes no sense at all for Ottawa to trade it.
I'd say it would be foolish to trade it BEFORE the draft lottery. If after the lottery we end up 7-9th, looking at trades isn't a bad idea.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Stop pretending like anyone isn't aware of any of this.

But it's kind of valid because "a guy like Palat" would be like one of the 3?5? biggest FA signings in the history of the franchise. There's no guarantee we can bring anyone in on a deal that isn't A) too expensive B) too long C) both. There may be more inherent value to trading for a guy like Garland who is (probably) better than anyone the Sens can realistically bring in and still young enough to fit in with the core (as opposed to a 30+ year old Palat type)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Go big or go home.
After he requests a trade this summer:
to OTT: Draisaitl
to EDM: the top 10 pick, Norris, Brannstrom, and Boucher

Ottawa instantly becomes Germany's team (even have the colors to go along with it).

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
But it's kind of valid because "a guy like Palat" would be like one of the 3?5? biggest FA signings in the history of the franchise. There's no guarantee we can bring anyone in on a deal that isn't A) too expensive B) too long C) both. There may be more inherent value to trading for a guy like Garland who is (probably) better than anyone the Sens can realistically bring in and still young enough to fit in with the core (as opposed to a 30+ year old Palat type)

I didn't mean to imply that statement was invalid. It's just already known, and it's not like Palat is... Malkin or anything.

Most teams are going to want one of Forsberg, Gaudreau, Giroux, or Hertl. I just think targeting a "tier 2" guy like Palat or Rakell is worth a shot over giving up a top pick for a slight upgrade to one of them. There's other guys too like R.Smith for example. This UFA crop is pretty deep for forwards.

Edit: Or aim lower in a trade. Kapanen wouldn't cost much more than OTT 2nd I dont think. Just an example.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I didn't mean to imply that statement was invalid. It's just already known, and it's not like Palat is... Malkin or anything.

Most teams are going to want one of Forsberg, Gaudreau, Giroux, or Hertl. I just think targeting a "tier 2" guy like Palat or Rakell is worth a shot over giving up a top pick for a slight upgrade to one of them. There's other guys too like R.Smith for example. This UFA crop is pretty deep for forwards.

Palat and R.Smith are going to be 31 in a month. I'd be extremely leery of giving term to guys over 30 if I'm Ottawa, given the hopeful cup window is still a couple of years away. On the flipside is Garland, who is locked up for his age 26, 27, 28 and 29 seasons. He'll be younger when his contract is up than either one of Palat or Smith are right now.

I understand your logic, early on in a rebuild that's the likely way you want to build. But at this stage the Senators have one of the best prospect pools in the league to go along with one of the betters U22 cores. They need to be adding pieces who will be here (and at their most productive) in 2+ years time. It's not necessarily a cut and dry decision, as I think a Palat or Smith could help this team, but banking on being able to bring in an FA who A) can actually help and B) not break the bank isn't something the Sens can do very often.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Go big or go home.
After he requests a trade this summer:
to OTT: Draisaitl
to EDM: the top 10 pick, Norris, Brannstrom, and Boucher

Ottawa instantly becomes Germany's team (even have the colors to go along with it).

1st + Sanderson + Norris and Edmonton still says no.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Anderson doesn't have top 5 pick value. Hes a very good player but nowhere close to top 10 pick value.
I wouldn’t trade Anderson for Stutzle, not saying he’s worth that but he’s worth that to Montreal as we haven’t had a power forward for over 2 decades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad