Proposal: OTT - SJS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I never liked Karlsson as much as other Sens fans. Yes he put up points, but he was a liability on defense many times (SJ fans can probably see this more now that he is declining). He had moments where he was god like (2017 playoffs) and then moments where his laziness showed up and opposing forward would walk around him like a pylon. Very frustrating to watch.

Plus I didn't like him as our captain, he's arrogant and I'm sure Hoffman wasn't the only player that had a beef with him.

So I have to decline this trade scenario 100%.

Reactions: Prajna

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Probably since I doubt Meier would want to extend there. Sharks likely get more value out of a place that needs a winger and wants to keep him.

Yup, exactly. Even if Meier would sign longterm, I dont think it would be the right move for us. Only big ticket UFAs we should even consider, imo, are C or RD. And even then, it needs to be a perfect fit.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd consider it with assets coming back with EK. The thought of him turning it around in Ottawa, and us fleecing SJ on both the giving and receiving sides of a Karlsson deal is just too much for me to pass up. Payback for that Hoffman deal. LEGEN - DARRY !

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd consider it with assets coming back with EK. The thought of him turning it around in Ottawa, and us fleecing SJ on both the giving and receiving sides of a Karlsson deal is just too much for me to pass up. Payback for that Hoffman deal. LEGEN - DARRY !

There's no way Doug Wilson's job would survive those optics. Even if we gave them back bad contracts only like:

Murray + White for Karlsson
He'd get fired the day he proposed that to the owners.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There's no way the Sharks pay anyone to take Karlsson.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Colin White for EK, straight up.

Pass.

Colin White costs $5m this year and then a buyout costs another $5m. Karlsson is owed $56.5m.

Ottawa has also built a whole new identity on being tough and defensively responsible. Dadanov and Brown were moved on because they didn’t fit. Brannstrom may not stick. I can’t see Karlsson being a fit in that team.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
With Karlsson’s contract, the Sens wouldn’t be the team adding the value. San Jose would have to pay a team to offload that brutal contract.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
OTT: Colin White, Lassi Thomson, 2022 2nd
SJS: Erik Karlsson

SJS gets younger, unloads massive contract. OTT absorbs EKs contract, no retention

This deal doesn't pass Melnyk's approval.

Also, really don't think Karlsson would work for Melnyk again (he has a NMC)

Finally, not sure if it'd be smart spending for Ottawa, even if it's true that they'll spend to the cap... They have a lot of players who will become expensive

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Sens got Stützle and Josh Norris for EK. Unbelievably good trade.

Also :

- Mads Sogaard with FLA's 2nd (used a 3rd round pick to move up though)
- Leevi Merilainen with a 3rd (acquired the pick for DeMelo who played 111 games for Ottawa)
- Zack Ostapchuk with the other 2nd (this one was conditional on EK re-signing in SJ)
- Chris Tierney (207 games, 104 points for Ottawa)

Sogaard will be a beast, I'm even higher on him than Gustavsson. Merilainen looking extremely promising as well (just turned 19 y/o). Many think Ostapchuk's skillset will make him become a NHLer, another prospect that looks very promising.

Ottawa's GM still made 2 mistakes (so the return could have been even better) :

- waived Rudolfs Balcers (SJ got him back lol) when they could have waived Paquette, Galchenyuk, Anisimov or Stepan instead. Looks like he will be a solid 3rd liner. I was annoyed by this move right away

- has kept Chris Tierney all the way until now when his value was obviously at its peak after the 2018-19 season. I have been very vocal about this but he's still there and now the vast majority of Sens are tired of him.

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
i8VuGYIJdB9cj5y1_qRfOhin1bvyh0QCkqgEZV3bcUMVFt9wSO8GFK1_PAmpE43eazXxA42W3ciYAKPh3ZLfl-YpL06tOi1N

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I never liked Karlsson as much as other Sens fans. Yes he put up points, but he was a liability on defense many times (SJ fans can probably see this more now that he is declining). He had moments where he was god like (2017 playoffs) and then moments where his laziness showed up and opposing forward would walk around him like a pylon. Very frustrating to watch.

Plus I didn't like him as our captain, he's arrogant and I'm sure Hoffman wasn't the only player that had a beef with him.

So I have to decline this trade scenario 100%.

This. He gives off a vibe that he's better than everyone else and I can't stand it anymore. Horrible for the room.

Reactions: SensFactor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad