Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know this doesn't matter in Ottawa since they never make the playoffs but this makes it harder to trade him to a playoff team if that time comes. Nobody wants to pay $8mil for a goalie who shits the bed in the playoffs at every opportunity.

View attachment 913931

Ullmark cashed in on winning a Vezina as a platoon goalie playing behind the best regular season team of all time. Good for him, terrible for Ottawa.
How did you enjoy Korpisalo yesterday

Reactions: senswon

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Talbot couldn't stop a beachball here. I think he admitted later he was injured, but he was balls.

Gus was traded before he broke out. Dorion classic. And I think it was for Talbot, which cut deeper.

Plus, we had a lame coach, yes. No question there
and maybe Travis Green is that much better.... time will tell. But I guarantee hes no Jim Montgomery.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
And those were all on great teams and defences (except Montreal)

Yes, obviously to win a cup or get the the CF, you also need a great overall team. Bob didn't do it all himself, neither did Vasilevsky, that's not what I'm saying.

But it's hilarious how fans balk at paying goalies, and then when the playoffs come around, they say "that team won't win they don't have a goalie."

And more often than not, the top goalies are the ones still playing in May and June, while the "let's give this guy $3M and see how it goes" guys are sitting at home.

Meanwhile when a 75 point finesse winger is up for an extension? "Only $8.5M AAV??? Steal!!!"

Look at the Shesterkin thread. He's insane to ask for 11M! But Nylander at 11.5? Not a problem!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ullmark: Has consistently performed well throughout his career, even on awful Sabres teams.
HFboards: Ah, but he signed with Ottawa, which means he must actually be terrible and this deal is therefore bad.
HFBoards is, as it turns out, not a single entity with one thought.

But yes, the idea that Ullmark can only perform in the Bruins defensive system is silly. If you want to worry about Ullmark, worry about his lack of history as a de facto #1 goalie playing 55+ games per year, not about his ability as a goaltender.

Or about his age, I suppose. I was not aware he was in his 30s.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
you say goaltending, I say defence and coaching.

Cam Talbot.... horrible in Ottawa 22-23, great in LA 23-24. Why do you think that is?

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 in MIN

Korpisalo had a 911 SV% in CLB, then 921 in LA (11GP).... and then 890 in Ottawa last season.

See the trend?
We just gonna ignore that Talbot fell off by the end of the season and that Gus cratered last year?

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sure, he hasn't done it. At the same time, he's not playing with a Swayman to take half the games away from him. Forsberg or whoever backs up at the time, can play around 25 games.

If Ullmark thinks he can, more power to him. I would have rather seeing it before giving him the extension.
Ullmark doesn’t have any say in how much he plays outside of performance. His coaches and how they want to manage their goalies will dictate that. If he plays more and stinks, Ottawa will have to adjust which is what makes signing some of these goalies who have only played 40 games in a season to $8+ million dollar contracts risky.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
4 years. I like that. Hit or miss with goalies, especially on different teams in different structures. It's good to see shorter term, regardless on what you feel the average should on the cap should be.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Yes, obviously to win a cup or get the the CF, you also need a great overall team. Bob didn't do it all himself, neither did Vasilevsky, that's not what I'm saying.

But it's hilarious how fans balk at paying goalies, and then when the playoffs come around, they say "that team won't win they don't have a goalie."

And more often than not, the top goalies are the ones still playing in May and June, while the "let's give this guy $3M and see how it goes" guys are sitting at home.

Meanwhile when a 75 point finesse winger is up for an extension? "Only $8.5M AAV??? Steal!!!"

Look at the Shesterkin thread. He's insane to ask for 11M! But Nylander at 11.5? Not a problem!
The Shesterkin thread is a dumpster fire. Those same people complaining about rejecting the offer, are the ones that would hold out for more money if they were in his shoes.

Even more hilarious is they don't realize it's in NYR's best interest to get a contract done now because they'd be locking him in at a cheap rate. If Shesterkin were to hypothetically perform at 1.8gaa/94Sv% with trophies and a Cup, then you are paying out the ass.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yes, obviously to win a cup or get the the CF, you also need a great overall team. Bob didn't do it all himself, that's not what I'm saying.

its a catch 22.... youre not a good goalie without a good D in front of you. Why is it we never talk about great goalies on bad teams?

Ullmark isnt taking a 26th (?) place team to contenders overnight. Travis Green, Jake Sanderson and co. will play a much bigger role in that turnaround. And if Green is that good, then sure, Ullmark will have been a good investment.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Under the old market, he is a 6.5M goalie. Very few starters made 8M or more.

Ottawa paid an inflated AAV because they aren't a prime destination, they clearly did not want to give him term, and the market is clearly resetting with the cap rising.

Ho-hum starters get 4.5-5.5 under the current market. That's going to rise soon. This AAV is never going to look like a steal, but 3 years from now when the contract is half done, you will probably see middle of the road goalies approaching 6.5M-7.0M.

It makes you wonder what he would have signed for in Boston. Swayman is the better piece to build around, but he also may have gotten a much bigger return without Boston having to take Korpisalo (3Mx4Y).

Reactions: SNES

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
you say goaltending, I say defence and coaching.

Cam Talbot.... horrible in Ottawa 22-23, great in LA 23-24. Why do you think that is?

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 in MIN

Korpisalo had a 911 SV% in CLB, then 921 in LA (11GP).... and then 890 in Ottawa last season.

See the trend?
Cam Talbot at one point had a .915 with Ottawa and the Sens were actually in the playoff hunt before be just gave up. Gustavsson second season with rhe Wild was bad. Korpisalo had a career year cool. Pretty awful previously.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
its a catch 22.... youre not a good goalie without a good D in front of you. Why is it we never talk about great goalies on bad teams?

Ullmark isnt taking a 26th (?) place team to contenders overnight. Travis Green, Jake Sanderson and co. will play a much bigger role in that turnaround. And if Green is that good, then sure, Ullmark will have been a good investment.
Yeah I'm sure the team that had league worst goaltending won't get better adding a vezina winner!!! You're soooo much smarter than everyone.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
We just gonna ignore that Talbot fell off by the end of the season and that Gus cratered last year?
Talbot was great in Feb and March, bad in April (over 7 games), finished the year with a 913 SV%. THats a very good season compared to the league avg.

Gus did suck last season, but the point was he went from bad to great just by changing teams one year later.

Common denominator is the Sens and their coaching/system produce bad goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad