Confirmed Trade: [OTT/EDM] Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson for Roby Jarventie and 2025 4th round pick

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jarventie is a classic all the tools but no toolbox player.

Remains to be seen whether he has to desire and capacity to put it together.

Moving him to center seemed to help a few years ago as he was more involved and engaged. Floated a lot when playing wing.
What is his compete level like? Gritty? Soft?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Disappointed that this is where it ends with Bourgault. But I guess he was projecting as a depth scoring winger and the Savoie add essentially created a roadblock.

I was still kind of hoping he'd produce this year in Bakersfield with the reinforcements.

Will have to see how Jarventie looks. It's nice to get more picks, too. We've been spending a lot of them.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
One knock on Bourgault has been he has been able to get use to big city life, going to Belleville might help get him back on track if he doesn't have to worry about the big city life part of it.
Bakersfield isn’t a big city!!

Xb is from a town of 4k and Belleville has 55k people. So I guess to him 400k is the big city haha

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't think Jarventie ever makes the big leagues. If he does, probably on a non-contending team. Not a bad player, just suited more for a top 9 role and I don't think he's good enough to do that at the NHL level.

Pretty meh trade for both teams honestly lol.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Both Bourgault and Chaisson have had promising camps in the past.

Best of luck to them in Ottawa.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Compete was the biggest issue with Roby when he was drafted and for awhile after that. He could be invisible some nights. That has improved but to what degree I don't know. He's not gritty though, uses his size as puck protection and that's about it for the most part
Thanks. I love grit, but at minimum a player that has size needs to know how to use it to protect the puck.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
My opinion on Jaraventie...

He has some skills and hands, has potential to score. But he's soft, isn't physical, and isn't a speedster so he has no chance to be a 3rd or 4th liner if he makes the NHL, he has to be in the top 6 in a scoring role. Injuries are a concern.

The other 2 guys, I've never heard of, which is typical as I don't know much about other teams' prospects.

Chiasson was an ECHLer, with just ok stats, so I don't give him much of a shot.

Does Bourgault have traits that point him towards being a potential 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL? He doesn't appear to score enough to be a future top 6 forward.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Thanks. I love grit, but at minimum a player that has size needs to know how to use it to protect the puck.

I still like Jarventie as a prospect, disappointed he's been traded. The pick gets lambasted a lot by Ottawa fans but it has more to do with passing on Peterka. But they had just drafted Ridly Grieg a few picks before and went after a different type of player who had a high ceiling for scoring goals.

It's a good pick up by Edmonton and we can only hope in Ottawa that Bourgault can improve.

Would’ve been nice to have done what literally 90% of rational people would’ve done and drafted Wallstedt instead. Nice work Oilers.

I wished Ottawa took Wallstedt at 10 instead of Boucher

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I wished Ottawa took Wallstedt at 10 instead of Boucher
I think Boucher was definitely a big risk at 10. But, I didn’t completely hate the pick at the time. Ottawa was definitely hoping that he would turn into Tom Wilson. At the time, Ottawa thought their goaltending was secure and they just needed talented players. Considering who was still available after 9 and considering the limited viewing of most of these players, I could see where Ottawa was coming from. If Boucher turned into Tom Wilson, he’d be worth that pick at 10.

To me, the Oilers passing on Wallstedt was a bigger miss considering their prospect pool.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know about Jarventie, but Chaisson might be as good of a prospect as Bourgault. Bourgault reeks of bust. I am glad we got something for him, even if I don't know anything about the guy we got back, and I hope he turns it around in Otttawa's organization.
Chiasson wasn't even a half point per game in the ECHL this year. He's got a long way to go before he's a legitimate prospect.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Bakersfield isn’t a big city!!

Xb is from a town of 4k and Belleville has 55k people. So I guess to him 400k is the big city haha
Did Bourgault know much English before going to Bakersfield? I've noticed that many of the Quebec born players who played in the Q for a Quebec team tend to have a harsher adjustment curve once they hit pro (excluding Montreal/Laval/Ottawa), since they're in a completely different culture/language.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Weird, I thought Jarventie was progressing quite well for them.
He was, and was always on a longer development curve. I dont understand at all why Ottawa is adding the pick here. Least favorite move made yet by Staios. Small skill wingers are a dime a dozen and Bourgault is regressing by the looks of it.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad