Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm honestly shocked there's as many in support of Korpisalo as there are. Maybe I'm sour because I railed against him getting signed in the first place and hated it, but I look at his career numbers and don't get the optimism.

Moving on from Korpisalo was priority 1 for our team imo (Staios said Goaltending upgrade was #1 priority for him, so similar thought) and I could not possibly be more happy with how it worked out.
Maybe we didn't need to retain after all. :scared:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lol, that would have just been insane.

I honestly had this Korpisalo situation pegged as going down the Jack Campbell route. Figured cost to make him go away would be too high, he'd come out and play poorly again, and be in the minors until he expires or gets bought out.
I had us pegged at 1.8 million (or whatever] as the buyout over 8 years. Without question as well, I had basically resigned to the fact.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Don is one of those people who think if the person wears a bruins jersey, the stock can only go up. So everything is a good trade, every draft pick is a good selection, etc.
Yep and this trade ( stock ) is going sky high. I'm getting ready for the 1st round and Donny getting a nice prospect. Thanks sens.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't disagree he could maybe work out in a backup role. It's just that the numbers don't support that happening (not just last year), so imo it's just hollow words until it's proven by Korpisalo. Boston is taking a risk that it will happen and it's by no means a certainty. It's not like last year was some big outlier for Korpisalo or that the team was entirely to blame for his poor play, he was objectively bad.

He was for sure. Sens fans collectively being thrilled to eat a quarter of his contract is testament to that.

I just feel that this trade could work out for both sides.

Kastellic has all the tools to be a quality 4th liner as well. Just needs to get them into the toolbox

Reactions: StoneHoffs129

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He was for sure. Sens fans collectively being thrilled to eat a quarter of his contract is testament to that.

I just feel that this trade could work out for both sides.

Kastellic has all the tools to be a quality 4th liner as well. Just needs to get them into the toolbox
I would agree there is a possibility it works out. I'm harsh on Korpisalo and think his career numbers clearly show he's not very good by NHL standards, but being a clear #2 playing ~25 games behind a good team should relieve a lot of the pressure. Maybe he can improve to being a consistent backup.

I was raging mad when he was our target last summer, let alone the woofer of a contract, and then this season re-enforced my feelings, so I'm just ecstatic to move on either way.

I would also agree Kastelic will be a fine player for them. Replaceable spare part to me and sounded like he was a player likely on the move either way, but certainly could and likely will be useful to Boston.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I would agree there is a possibility it works out. I'm harsh on Korpisalo and think his career numbers clearly show he's not very good by NHL standards, but being a clear #2 playing ~25 games behind a good team should relieve a lot of the pressure. Maybe he can improve to being a consistent backup.

I was raging mad when he was our target last summer, let alone the woofer of a contract, and then this season re-enforced my feelings, so I'm just ecstatic to move on either way.

I would also agree Kastelic will be a fine player for them. Replaceable spare part to me and sounded like he was a player likely on the move either way, but certainly could and likely will be useful to Boston.
And dont forget the main ingredient the 1st round pick. That's the main ingredient in all this and can swing the trade to Boston favor big time.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Boston got practically nothing, the fact that it's their own first round pick that they traded for a Tyler Bertuzzi rental for an epic fail postseason definitely has to make it tough to swallow from a multi-trade perspective.

From Ottawa multi-trade perspective, it's 7th (and other) picks -> DeBrincat -> Boston 1st -> Ullmark, so not great but at least they salvaged the DeBrincat mistake with something that could really help them and fill a need going forward.
The fact that it’s the Bruins original pick is a zero consequence to Bruins fans. The Bertuzzi trade was an actually a good one. The post season result have no baring on that all. They got beat by the team that went to the cup final and then won it the next year. How did your team do those two years?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I wanna see this trade in a year before I declare the landslide winner. If korpi gets red hot as a backup you all will look like fools here or bruins draft a stud with that pick. Unreal how people judge trades.
They're just being realistic based on Korpisalo's relatively long track record of not being good when objectively looking at his career numbers. I like the optimism, but nothing on his resume really indicates he's going to perform as you expect, and you have to at least admit that what you're saying could happen, flies in the face of his career to this point. The guy has a ton to prove if he doesn't wanna be out of the league soon. He's only had 1 quality season in his last 4.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
They're just being realistic based on Korpisalo's relatively long track record of not being good when objectively looking at his career numbers. I like the optimism, but nothing on his resume really indicates he's going to perform as you expect, and you have to at least admit that what you're saying could happen, flies in the face of his career to this point. The guy has a ton to prove if he doesn't wanna be out of the league soon. He's only had 1 quality season in his last 4.
Ok let's see if ullmark plays well. His playoff resume have been horrid if that's anything to gage too. Let's see how this plays out . I declare no winner right now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ok let's see if ullmark plays well. His playoff resume have been horrid if that's anything to gage too. Let's see how this plays out . I declare no winner right now.
Of course, we will have to wait and see. And yes, the same as Ullmark needs to prove himself capable in the playoffs, but that is a much smaller 10 game sample size, not a 9 year career.

I hope for the best for Korpisalo, I'm just saying, his resume does not back up your implications. It's the same talk I heard all of last summer as I complained about the pursuit/signing and Senators fans tried to fool themselves into justifying it despite his poor resume in general. It was fools gold hopes not based on his actual career performance and I'm just saying he has to prove he can be what you say he can be, because he has not been that for the majority of his career.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

And this is why Boston didn’t get the return they wanted. I have no doubts that the family man Ullmark will like Ottawa. But, will the player Ullmark like playing in Ottawa? He has thrown a lot of shade at the Buffalo org since he left. He wouldn’t want to go back to tirefire defense and org so Ottawa has some proving to do, something they failed at last year, obviously.

Reactions: Canadienna

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Of course, we will have to wait and see. And yes, the same as Ullmark needs to prove himself capable in the playoffs, but that is a much smaller 10 game sample size, not a 9 year career.

I hope for the best for Korpisalo, I'm just saying, his resume does not back up your implications. It's the same talk I heard all of last summer as I complained about the pursuit/signing and Senators fans tried to fool themselves into justifying it despite his poor resume in general. It was fools gold hopes not based on his actual career performance and I'm just saying he has to prove he can be what you say he can be, because he has not been that for the majority of his career.

I think if you are a Bruins fan you point to how very very very good Boston is at identifying goaltending talent and the fact the Korpisalo has been on bad teams since he was 24/25. It's a similar story Sens fans were telling themselves last summer. Problem was that Ottawa added itself to the "bad teams" streak.

To be clear I hate that it was Korpisalo and not Forsberg as the dump coming back. But, its also true that the Bruins have been good for a long time, and especially since Bob Essensa joined the organization, at identifying and developing goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad