Proposal: Ott-ari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
OEL is further ahead of EK on D then he is behind him on offence and D wins games. I will give you EK is worth more today but not by much. I wouldn't trade OEL straight up for EK because I believe OEL is a better all around player and that will prove out in the next few years. Last year was the first year AZ had a few decent scoring forwards and OEL was at 55 points with more goals then EK the last 2 years. Goals are more important than assists. OEL's point production will likely pick up as the AZ forwards are better now. Once the point gap closes between OEL and EK, OEL will be considered the better player.

Remember when you said OEL could out score Karlsson wayback in November 2013? Still hasn't even came close to happening. You've held this opinion for three seasons now and not once has it been close.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if serious.

Wouldn't offer OEL straight up. Dumb OP is dumb.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Forgive us. We're just Arizona hockey fans. We're too stupid to know what's good for us.

Sry :(

Well if you wouldnt trade OEL for Karlsson strait up you are filling your self fulfilling prophecy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
OEL is further ahead of EK on D then he is behind him on offence and D wins games. I will give you EK is worth more today but not by much. I wouldn't trade OEL straight up for EK because I believe OEL is a better all around player and that will prove out in the next few years. Last year was the first year AZ had a few decent scoring forwards and OEL was at 55 points with more goals then EK the last 2 years. Goals are more important than assists. OEL's point production will likely pick up as the AZ forwards are better now. Once the point gap closes between OEL and EK, OEL will be considered the better player.

I also hope that Kyle Turris will be better than Sidney Crosby but it doesnt mean thats going to happen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yandle was still very good in NYC, in spite of Vigneault's poor use of his abilities.

Yes, for sure.

But the whole "Yandle is incredible and no one talks about him" brouhaha ended as soon as he landed in NY and his poor defensive play was brought to light.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow. Karlsson will be a first ballot hall of famer. Barring catastrophic injury, he will end his career as one of the top 5 defensemen of all time.

OEL isn't in the same league.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I'm fine with not wanting to add Strome but y'all gotta stop this nonsense. OEL is not better than Karlsson in any sense. Stop it please. It's not like OEL is a stalwart defensively, in terms of defensive ability him and Karlsson are close. Stop fooling yourself.

Opinions are opinions are opinions. Karlsson is the most over rated defenseman on these boards. He's a supreme offensive defensive talent, no doubt. Comparing the two, Oliver is the better defenseman. You can tell me until I'm blue in the face that Karlsson is a better dman than Ekman-Larsson and I'll still take OEL ten times over.

Aside from Karlssons speed, hands and shot, he's average on defense, at best. No ones saying he's not an elite talent, but he isn't any better than OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ari: Erik Karlsson

Ott: Oliver Ekman-Larsson & Dylan Strome

*** Try and over-look the fact that at this very moment in time I don't think Ottawa would ever try and sell Karlsson or that Arizona would need Karlsson because lets be honest they aren't ready for a playoff run YET. I think this is one of the only team scenarios where the value makes sense.

Arizona receives EK the man, the myth, the legend and establishes a leader once Doan retires to surround young skill across the board (domi,duclair,keller,Dvorak, DeAngelo,Chychrun etc.)

Ottawa receives the closest thing you will find to an EK replacement at a young age and a top notch prospect who appears to be a slam dunk in a couple of years.

Why bother with this? I know it's summer and all, but make a proposal that at least has 1% chance of happening.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Opinions are opinions are opinions. Karlsson is the most over rated defenseman on these boards. He's a supreme offensive defensive talent, no doubt. Comparing the two, Oliver is the better defenseman. You can tell me until I'm blue in the face that Karlsson is a better dman than Ekman-Larsson and I'll still take OEL ten times over.

Aside from Karlssons speed, hands and shot, he's average on defense, at best. No ones saying he's not an elite talent, but he isn't any better than OEL.

Karlsson is overrated, OEL underrated. That is unless you are outside the state of Arizona.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Agreed, accept I would say below average on D because he gambles so much. If he didn't gamble he would be average, but then his point production would go down too.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
This thread is hilarious. Last year on HF the consensus was that OEL was underrated and people didn't realize how good he was because he played on Arizona but holy lord is he getting overrated now.

To even suggest that OEL is better right now or in past years is blind homerism. Yes, he's a premier defenseman in this league, but karlsson is just on another level.

As for the OP, the value is probably fair or atleast pretty close to it anyway. This trade would never happen though.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Ya OEL is clearly the most overrated defenseman in the league at this point. Scary stuff since there was a time when he was actually quite underrated.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
OEL is better on defense and has much more shutdown potential than Karlsson does.

This year was his first time playing with some decent players in front of him offensively and he scored 55 points, now that's not EK territory, but I don't think it would be unrealistic for him to get 10-15 more points next year and I would much, much rather have Strome, who still has franchise #1C potential than the extra points in the form of Karlsson, and that's not close.

Your argument that Karlsson is the better dman is valid, he does crazy things and I could certainly see him being considered more valuable than OEL or wanting to build around EK on a starting team over OEL, but the value in this trade is way off.

OEL does also have about 1m less Cap hit AAV and about 1m less in actual salary as well, which is somewhat important. He doesn't have a NTC and has a longer contract as well.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
This thread is cringeworthy. Arizona fans should be embarrassed....like bag over head embarrassed...
You can tell us this until fall semester starts up, it doesn't make it true.
Barring catastrophic injury, [Erik Karlsson] will end his career as one of the top 5 defensemen of all time.
You mean top 5 defensemen in Senators history, right? Because that makes no sense as written.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Hell nawwwh from the Yotes. Not gonna really get into Karlsson vs OEL, but trading Strome means the Coyotes are going all in on Dvo being a #1C. IMO Strome is basically untradable unless a potential #1C comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad