OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I think the skill is obviously WAY better in today's game - as is natural with progression of sports - but man does it seem like there is so much wasted potential amongst players/teams because they focus so much on shooting 3s.
It's so boring!!

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Outlaws getting drubbed again. Different goalie, didn't help. 7-1 Utah Archers at the end of the first quarter.

Glad we got our team back but it's unfortunate they gave us the worst team in the league from last year and rebranded them to the Outlaws. The original Outlaws (2006-2020) had the best franchise winning percentage of any top level pro sports team in the US/Canada (NBA/ABA, NHL/WHA, NFL/AFL, MLB, CFL, MLS, NLL, PLL/MLL, WNBA, NWSL).

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
HOLY CRAP

The Outlaws win 18-17 in OT to stun the defending champion Archers. Rookie 19 year old Brennan O'Neill with 9 points (7 goals, 1 2 pointer, 1 assist) in the game including the OT winner and 5 goals in the 4th to tie it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
TIL there are two different kinds of lacrosse. @famicommander it feels like we’re about to have a contest for most niche sports interest between you and lacrosse and me and curling
How does one even watch curling? I legitimately have no idea. Is there a pro league with a TV deal? Is it all tournaments like the Olympics and World Games? Lacrosse has two pro leagues and NCAA D1 with their games on the Disney platforms (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+) so I don't know how niche it really is. It's certainly not close to the big 5 team sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer) but the NLL has been going since 1987 and the PLL/MLL since 2001. Most of them draw better than WNBA or AHL teams (at least until Clark came and elevated the WNBA).

Reactions: AFK

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
How does one even watch curling? I legitimately have no idea. Is there a pro league with a TV deal? Is it all tournaments like the Olympics and World Games? Lacrosse has two pro leagues and NCAA D1 with their games on the Disney platforms (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+) so I don't know how niche it really is. It's certainly not close to the big 5 team sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer) but the NLL has been going since 1987 and the PLL/MLL since 2001. Most of them draw better than WNBA or AHL teams (at least until Clark came and elevated the WNBA).
It’s a tournament style game, for the pros not as much the local club but even they still have bonspiels. There’s tour events that aren’t as interesting (and just for points for world rankings and the chance to bypass provincials for Canadians) so it’s mostly just Canadian championships, the Worlds and the Olympics. It’s part of the appeal for me really something to tune into for around 6 weeks a year instead of 6-9 months.

Lacrosse is likely quite a bit more mainstream for viewership. Curling (in Canada) could very well see higher participation rates but that’s also partly down to it being something many people can do well into their 60s and 70s. I can think of two guys I’ve ever known that played lacrosse vs at least 10 people who currently curl (quite a few random family friends and relatives picked it up at 50+)

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
It’s a tournament style game, for the pros not as much the local club but even they still have bonspiels. There’s tour events that aren’t as interesting (and just for points for world rankings and the chance to bypass provincials for Canadians) so it’s mostly just Canadian championships, the Worlds and the Olympics. It’s part of the appeal for me really something to tune into for around 6 weeks a year instead of 6-9 months.

Lacrosse is likely quite a bit more mainstream for viewership. Curling (in Canada) could very well see higher participation rates but that’s also partly down to it being something many people can do well into their 60s and 70s. I can think of two guys I’ve ever known that played lacrosse vs at least 10 people who currently curl (quite a few random family friends and relatives picked it up at 50+)
Just at the NCAA D1-D3 and NCJAA levels there are nearly 30,000 collegiate lacrosse players in the US. Tons more once you get into MCLA (intercollegiate club lacrosse like the men's programs at CSU and CU) and Canadian collegiate and junior players. And then the youth and high school numbers are obviously drastically higher, plus the 25 active pro franchises and 16 entire leagues for Canadian senior (as in post-collegiate, not senior citizen) lacrosse.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Lacrosse: high scoring, fast paced, violent, allows fistfighting
Curling: your grandma can do it
Apparently, it's not nearly as easy as it looks.

I just can't though... it's all the yelling at someone to sweep harder or whatever...so annoying.

It's like envious janitors saw a hockey game on TV while playing shuffleboard and thought - hmm maybe there's something here.

• Haha
Reactions: katfude

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Apparently, it's not nearly as easy as it looks.

I just can't though... it's all the yelling at someone to sweep harder or whatever...so annoying.

It's like envious janitors saw a hockey game on TV while playing shuffleboard and thought - hmm maybe there's something here.
If your sport involves cleaning equipment it's time to rethink the entire thing from the ground up.

I guess it's not as bad as those virgins running around the park playing "Quidditch" from Harry Potter with brooms between their legs, but it's only one step away.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Curling >>> lacrosse.
Watching curling >>>> everything else. I'm a big Shawn Germain fan.

I believe this was all from like a 9am game.
[edit...I think Bucci made the comment that not all heroes wear capes when they cut to him during the Olympics.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad