OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies etc…Part VII

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
It'll open up some money though right. Allow us to spend on the right stuff..
How does that help a rookie qb this year, bolles contract expires this year. So his money will be able to be spent next year 16million? Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if you’re thinking no nix can play you don’t do this

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Truth be told a good possession tight end would be huge for Bo. Duluich is not that and has been essentially been benched.
he’s not benched - dude has been inactive I think the last two weeks because he’s so terrible. Their TEs are atrocious. Would be excusable if you just had a bunch of fat dudes playing TE paving the way for a strong running game but that’s not even the case.

Definitely think their TE room is the worst on the team and it truly shows on Sundays.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
When do we quest Payton's playcalling? It's not a coincidence both Russ and Nix looked better once they basically abandoned the game plans.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
When do we quest Payton's playcalling? It's not a coincidence both Russ and Nix looked better once they basically abandoned the game plans.
Teams always look better in garbage time against a prevent defense. That's the point of a prevent defense, to trade completions for time.

Payton is a clown but the idea that we're looking better in the 4th for any other reason than because we're down two scores late in the game is nonsense.

Reactions: katfude

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Nugs preseason game 3 report:
-Hunter Tyson 0/6 shooting while opponents shot approximately 5000% against him
-Poor shooting night from Saric and Russ
-Collin Gillespie playing for the Suns showed us why we should've kept him over Spencer Jones or Jalen Pickett
-Joker looked like Joker
-Strawther continues to pass all these early tests

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I love Payton as a HC. I don't love him so much as an OC. I think he needs to recognize that and hire some talent that respects his philosophy but modernizes it with more consistency in play to play calls. He can still come up with wrinkles that throw teams off but the plays are just too predictable in most situations. The lack of good play action and use of motion are telling.

Rookie with good wheels needs those aspects of an offense to be much more effective. A designed run off a RPO look would do wonders with loosening up the inside pinch defense most are wisely using in early downs. Having underneath receivers run up and go patterns with a pump fake would absolutely kill it if Nix has enough time to throw. I know they want to keep things simple and close like Parcells but come on they are a mess for the first half game after game save for one. Call it take off the training wheels if you want but it's just taking advantage of aggressive tight boxes which can be beaten if you take shots early and often.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
First downs per pass attempt among all 556 quarterbacks who have attempted at least 100 passes in their first six team games since 2007
t-564. Bo Nix, this season
566. DeShaun Watson, this season

Historical levels of offensive futility.

And this is with the three garbage time games (1, 2, 6) severely padding his stats. Here's what he looks like when you filter out garbage time:
GZ31NZAb0AASaiK

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
First downs per pass attempt among all 556 quarterbacks who have attempted at least 100 passes in their first six team games since 2007

And this is with the three garbage time games (1, 2, 6) severely padding his stats. Here's what he looks like when you filter out garbage time:
GZ31NZAb0AASaiK

Look at my boy Sam Darnold. 😎

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

GZ31NZAb0AASaiK
Here's how bad it is when you filter out all of his good stats :laugh:. All of the games were still close. That's not garbage time.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Here's how bad it is when you filter out all of his good stats :laugh:. All of the games were still close. That's not garbage time.
They weren't close games. When you're down 23-0 in the fourth quarter, you've been blown out. The Chargers quite literally went into a shell and intentionally gave us completions because they made the correct calculation that we didn't have enough time to make a successful comeback.

That's the absolute definition of garbage time. The points in the game that are not relevant to the outcome, and where the other team has abandoned its aggression in favor of bleeding the clock.

And guess what? If you don't filter out the garbage time he's still RIDICULOUSLY BAD. Again, he's tied for 564th out of 566 tracked quarterbacks in terms of passing attempts per first down through 6 team games. Those are raw stats, not filtered for garbage time. Since 2007 only DeShaun Watson THIS year has been worse at getting first downs.

Reactions: katfude

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I guess this all true, just kind of talking.
I was just sharing why I think it’s no a great idea *shrugs+

he’s not benched - dude has been inactive I think the last two weeks because he’s so terrible. Their TEs are atrocious. Would be excusable if you just had a bunch of fat dudes playing TE paving the way for a strong running game but that’s not even the case.

Definitely think their TE room is the worst on the team and it truly shows on Sundays.
Didn’t I just essentially say that?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Strawther looking really good out there again. It's still only preseason but all the vibes have been very, very positive from him.

Zeke had an interesting first half. Several absolutely excellent plays on defense, hit two threes, also made several bad plays. But at least he's engaged out there.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Another preseason L for the Nugs.

Stock up:
Strawther
Zeke

Stock down:
Saric
Tyson
Pickett
Alexander
Jones (didn't even get into the game)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Another preseason L for the Nugs.

Stock up:
Strawther
Zeke

Stock down:
Saric
Tyson
Pickett
Alexander
Jones (didn't even get into the game)

I mean, seeing that Strawther might give them the guard and shooting depth they desperately need and Nnaji doing something other than being terrible is promising at least.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I mean, seeing that Strawther might give them the guard and shooting depth they desperately need and Nnaji doing something other than being terrible is promising at least.
Zeke does this all the time in the preseason.

Career in the preseason:
.505% FG, .444 3PT, .714 FT, positive assist to TO ratio, PER over 17

Career in the regular season:
.512 FG, .370 3PT, .662 FT, negative assist to TO ratio, PER under 13

And Strawther's numbers this preseason are basically identical to his numbers from last preseason.

Strawther last preseason:
51.1% FG, 45.2% 3PT, 90.0% FT

Strawther this preseason:
50.0% FG, 44.4% 3PT, 64.3% FT

So while it's good that both guys are playing well, we still have to remember that it's basically practice and we've seen this movie before.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Preseason NBA needs to be treated like NFL. Young players putting up stats against guys who either don't care or won't ever play a real game in the Association doesn't tell you much. Only thing the Nuggs need this preseason is for a few young players to earn Malone's trust to stay in the rotation.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Preseason NBA needs to be treated like NFL. Young players putting up stats against guys who either don't care or won't ever play a real game in the Association doesn't tell you much. Only thing the Nuggs need this preseason is for a few young players to earn Malone's trust to stay in the rotation.
The only rotation spot that is even remotely up for grabs is the 10th man, and that's between Zeke and Vlatko. Zeke has had a better preseason but I suspect by midseason Vlatko will have firmly taken control of that spot as he's just a more consistent and versatile player in my opinion. He just needs time to work himself back from that knee.

Jokic, Murray, Porter, Gordon, Braun, Westbrook, Saric, Strawther, and Watson are in the rotation no matter what. We just plain don't have the bodies for anybody but those guys to play.

Tyson and Pickett are absolutely, 100% unplayable. They both need to be cut immediately and replaced with the best available veteran minimum guards. Bring back Holiday.

DJ is your emergency size and a player-coach. Most nights we probably won't see him on the floor.

And then it's the rookies. Holmes is out for the season, Trey has potential but needs a lot of seasoning at the G-League level. Jones and Hall aren't even getting preseason minutes so it's safe to say they're at the far end of the bench and will spend a lot of time in the G as well. And since Alexander, Jones, and Hall are all two-ways anyway they can't be rotation guys. They can only suit up 50 times no matter how many games they actually play, and we can't bring them to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad