OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies etc…Part VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
McCarthy still tied for TDs with the rookie QBs at zero. None of them so far have been impressive.

Writing off a rookie QB after two games is insane. If he doesn’t continue to progress throughout the season then you can worry.
This is where I’m at. I think Fami makes some good points and Bo really hasn’t looked very good at all, but I also think it’s too early to write a rookie quarterback off.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I posted before that I saw a decent amount of Nix in PAC12 play. In college he was a very good scrambling/out of pocket player. He is creative and makes plays on the move. He is not a pocket passer. He is not a field stretcher. Can a system be built to his strengths in the NFL? You can look at prime era Russel Wilson and also Lamar Jackson for a partial answer. They both have at least average NFL arms though and Nix hasn't shown that before. Still, writing the kid off after 2 games is a bit silly.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sorry, I'm writing him off. Just my gut feeling. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled. But I don't think I will be.

But part of the reason I'm writing him off is also because his coach is doing more harm than good right now. I have little to no confidence that Nix will figure it out, I have ZERO confidence that Payton can build a successful scheme around him and I blame Payton more for that than Nix.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Sorry, I'm writing him off. Just my gut feeling. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled. But I don't think I will be.

But part of the reason I'm writing him off is also because his coach is doing more harm than good right now. I have little to no confidence that Nix will figure it out, I have ZERO confidence that Payton can build a successful scheme around him and I blame Payton more for that than Nix.
Payton is completely delusional about Nix.

He has said his arm is "extremely impressive"
He has compared him to Brees and Mahomes
He has said he is great at throwing with pressure in his face, when he's off balance, when he's on the move

He also said, "We can't be the only ones to see what we're seeing."

Which is the most telling of all. Yes, Sean, you are the only one. Sean noticed how down everyone else in the NFL was on Nix as a prospect and convinced himself that he was simply smarter than everyone else.

This is like when Elway fell in love with Osweiler but worse.

The Steelers were laughing at the comically limited plays we were willing to call for Nix:

Teams are daring us to beat them deep and laughing when we can't. Every defensive coach in the NFL knows exactly how to beat the Broncos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
On writing Nix off... I think it really comes down to skill sets. I know hockey much more than I'll ever know football, but skill sets are incredibly important in all sports... arguably QB in the NFL tops the whole list. If a player doesn't have the requisite skills, no amount of hope, coaching, experience, time, etc will matter. I keep coming back to it... but the NewJost situations. It was abundantly clear before these players hit the NHL that they didn't have the requisite skill sets needed to succeed as 2nd line centers. They should have been written off from those roles very early, and moved into roles that were more fitting for their skills. If the Avs has moved Newhook to wing early, and developed him there, he might have had a better shot of sticking here. Jost was probably too far gone, but he would have had a better shot of carving out a lesser role if he wasn't forced into roles he was unfit for.

I've watched a lot of football, but I'm far from an expert. In my eyes, Nix does not look to have the skill set of a good NFL QB. He's a bad combination of a below average arm and gunslinger/risk taker. You can deal with one or the other, but both in the NFL rarely works out. To me, Nix looks like a guy who bounces around the NFL as a backup who gets 1-3 starts a year.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad