OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Most closers are starting their careers as closers right at Reed's current age. He already has nearly 100 saves.

K-Rod did, and he was waaaay better than Reed at that age. Where is he now? 140 short.

You can't seriously project 40 saves a year for 12.5 straight years. It's just ****ing loony, dude.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So opening day next year:

1. Alcantra (CF)
2. Coghlan (LF)
3. Rizzo (1B)
4. Soler (RF)
5. Baez (2B)
6. Castro (SS)
7. Valbuena (3B)
8. Castillo (C)

With Bryant coming up in late April/May.

Rotation

1. Free agent?
2. Arrieta
3. Hendricks/free agent?
4. Wood
5. Hendricks/Jackson/Wada/Free agent?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
They very well may have, I'm not gonna argue that. But I'll defend the idea of the trade to the grave.

1) 2014 was a throw away year from the start
2) The Sox had an asset they didn't see as that important to them, due to him not being of use to them for at least 1 if not 2 years, and it being a position they historically have a lot of success filling

It was the right idea at the time, to use your asset to hopefully fill a bigger long term need. Not all trades work out, it happens.

The idea I never doubted. The value is what I doubted.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI

1. Alcantra (CF)
2. Coghlan (LF)
3. Rizzo (1B)
4. Soler (RF)
5. Baez (2B)
6. Castro (SS)
7. Valbuena (3B)
8. Castillo (C)

Rotation

1. Free agent?
2. Arrieta
3. Hendricks/free agent?
4. Wood

I wouldn't be surprised if they got two free agents.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Pitchers? I agree. What I don't know is if they try to get 2 middle of the rotation guys or if they try to get two top of the rotaiton guys.

Apparently, they want to make a run at Lester. So, I'm betting him and either one or the other as the pitchers they'll make a run at.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

1. Alcantra (CF)
2. Coghlan (LF)
3. Rizzo (1B)
4. Soler (RF)
5. Baez (2B)
6. Castro (SS)
7. Valbuena (3B)
8. Castillo (C)

Rotation

1. Free agent?
2. Arrieta
3. Hendricks/free agent?
4. Wood

Looks good. Remember that Almora has a shot at coming up next year as well. The comments on ESPN are killing me though. Wanting to move Bryant to outfield even though his defense at third is way better than any projections. I wonder what they do with Russell when he is ready, Alcantra might be the odd man out.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I dont think Theo go full out for top FA pitchers yet. Maybe 2 more years. I have a feeling he'll wait to let Baez and Bryant settle in first before making that kind of commitment. By that time, hopefully CJ Edwards will be pushing for a rotation spot and maybe Black or Tseng coming up soon after to fill the bottom 5.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I dont think Theo go full out for top FA pitchers yet. Maybe 2 more years. I have a feeling he'll wait to let Baez and Bryant settle in first before making that kind of commitment. By that time, hopefully CJ Edwards will be pushing for a rotation spot and maybe Black or Tseng coming up soon after to fill the bottom 5.

He already went all out for FA pitchers twice, in the past two offseasons, in Sanchez and Tanaka.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Apparently, they want to make a run at Lester. So, I'm betting him and either one or the other as the pitchers they'll make a run at.

I'm hoping they can get Lester on a 5 year deal. I don't know how Maeda projects, if he'll be posted, or how much he'll cost but seems like a guy the Cubs may go after.

Lester
Arrieta
Maeda
Hendricks
Wood

Solid rotation with only 1 guy over the age of 30.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
The Cubs have already offered 5 and 6 year deals to pitchers

They won't do completely one-sided opt out clauses.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
If they offered Shark $17.5 mil a year, at least thats what I thought they offered, then I can see them doing $20 mil a year for Lester

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Depending on the structure of the deal, I think they might do that. Would make a lot of sense to front load a deal for Lester like they did with Jackson.

Yeah, that's one way they could go about it. He's be easy to move later if we gave him half up front.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If they did 25-25-25-15-15-15, it insulates them against his inevitable decline at ages 34, 35, and 36.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If they did 25-25-25-15-15-15, it insulates them against his inevitable decline at ages 34, 35, and 36.

Agreed, I still think 15 is too high to move if he really falls off. Maybe 35-35-20-10-10-10. I like this for a couple of reasons. MAYBE, maybe, 35 is just too high for any team to do in any year. That's a plus for us getting him cheaper on total dollars. Secondly, the better we get, the more payroll is opened up to spend on other areas of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad