OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Just the plausibility of walking away and potentially being on hiatus from a well paying job. On one hand your mental health is worth so much more than any job and frankly it trickles down into your family life. If your have moderate enough income and a supportive spouse it offers the ability to walk away and find a better job and happiness which hopefully is the case for you.

My wife potentially could make more than me as she is self employed but I make more because I work more. She has been urging me for years to find something that doesn't leave me so physically and mentally drained (I obviously haven't taken that advice yet) but it's re-assuring to know that she has my back if need be and that we could financially survive it.

We could manage in the very short term, but we'd have to cut way back on stuff and it would be a massive struggle. The more I think about it though, the more I wonder why it's occurring to him a year after the fact that he put me in a position to fail.

Reactions: oldgoalie

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
We could manage in the very short term, but we'd have to cut way back on stuff and it would be a massive struggle. The more I think about it though, the more I wonder why it's occurring to him a year after the fact that he put me in a position to fail.
Cuz he sucks as a boss, and is clueless?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Cuz he sucks as a boss, and is clueless?

I mean yeah, there is that. I know more than a handful of people who have quit various positions specifically because of him. I guess I just don't understand how it wasn't obvious, especially since both myself and the person I sort of replaced told him there are gaps in what the two of us do.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Get back from work and there is a tree down over the two lanes entering my complex. Waiting on hold with the emergency contact folks because the way idiots drive here, someone is going to get hit head-on if they use the exit lane.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Get back from work and there is a tree down over the two lanes entering my complex. Waiting on hold with the emergency contact folks because the way idiots drive here, someone is going to get hit head-on if they use the exit lane.

That sounds like Florida

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yep. And what costs more: repairing structures are paying liabilty claims or paying somebody to skillfully remove a tree before it falls on someone or something?

There’s a bunch of poplars here that are dead and need to come down. The owner knows that. I’ve suggested taking them down to him before they fall down, which he agreed with. The problem is how to do that. I’ve said that I can do it if he rents a boom lift, so I can cut them down in pieces this way I can control what happens. Whereas he wants me to just cut them down and try to get them to fall into a certain gap between trees.

It can be done, but it’s a highly travelled walkway that’s between a kids playground and a seniors centre. I’d have to literally block out between that so someone doesn’t walk by and get hit by a falling tree. That’s definitely the cheaper option but it’s potentially not as safe.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Yep. And what costs more: repairing structures are paying liabilty claims or paying somebody to skillfully remove a tree before it falls on someone or something?

This is part of the same conversation I've been having at work about having a Data Protection Officer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There’s a bunch of poplars here that are dead and need to come down. The owner knows that. I’ve suggested taking them down to him before they fall down, which he agreed with. The problem is how to do that. I’ve said that I can do it if he rents a boom lift, so I can cut them down in pieces this way I can control what happens. Whereas he wants me to just cut them down and try to get them to fall into a certain gap between trees.

It can be done, but it’s a highly travelled walkway that’s between a kids playground and a seniors centre. I’d have to literally block out between that so someone doesn’t walk by and get hit by a falling tree. That’s definitely the cheaper option but it’s potentially not as safe.

You might want to see if you have a city arborist who might be able to either point you in the right direction or get somebody from your municipality out there to remove them. Granted they might also cite you for them being dead and snags.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I mean yeah, there is that. I know more than a handful of people who have quit various positions specifically because of him. I guess I just don't understand how it wasn't obvious, especially since both myself and the person I sort of replaced told him there are gaps in what the two of us do.
I'm in kind of a similar position. Just lost a direct supervisor who I respected, and his boss is a complete jerk off. We have half the staff (IT) we had ten years ago and no one understands the razor's edge we're teetering on.

I'm in the fortunate position, however, of having crossed the threshold into being retirement-eligible. I could fly the falcons and walk out. I'd have to take a haircut to do it, and I'd rather make it through another year. But if things got really bad I could quit.

If you get gold-plated handcuffs there's years of crap you eat. If I were doing it over, I'd make some different choices. If you have self-confidence and an in-demand skill, change can be your friend. Just depends on your risk tolerance.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You might want to see if you have a city arborist who might be able to either point you in the right direction or get somebody from your municipality out there to remove them. Granted they might also cite you for them being dead and snags.

The dead poplars are on private property. But the only way to bring them down (without being in pieces) is to land them on the city owned property (as the buildings on either side are city owned). One is for low income families and those needing help, and the other is for the elderly and those needing help.

It’s not an impossible task, just comes with a lot of potential challenges.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The dead poplars are on private property. But the only way to bring them down (without being in pieces) is to land them on the city owned property (as the buildings on either side are city owned). One is for low income families and those needing help, and the other is for the elderly and those needing help.

It’s not an impossible task, just comes with a lot of potential challenges.

Right, so the city arborist (if you have one... you should) might be able to do it if they pose risk to city property.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Right, so the city arborist (if you have one... you should) might be able to do it if they pose risk to city property.

The only risk is that it’d fall into basically an empty yard. If it fell the wrong way on the property I’m on, it can damage the storage shed and my two picnic tables.

Well I guess the other risk is that there’s no idea of knowing when they’d fall, so someone could get hurt. But there’s no property damage that could result to the city property.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I'm in kind of a similar position. Just lost a direct supervisor who I respected, and his boss is a complete jerk off. We have half the staff (IT) we had ten years ago and no one understands the razor's edge we're teetering on.

I'm in the fortunate position, however, of having crossed the threshold into being retirement-eligible. I could fly the falcons and walk out. I'd have to take a haircut to do it, and I'd rather make it through another year. But if things got really bad I could quit.

If you get gold-plated handcuffs there's years of crap you eat. If I were doing it over, I'd make some different choices. If you have self-confidence and an in-demand skill, change can be your friend. Just depends on your risk tolerance.

Sorry to hear that but at least the light is shining.

This job has removed all of my self-confidence. I've had a couple of thoughts about LLCs and working for myself, but I make 50% more than my wife so it'd be a risky proposition. But I am interested in possibly pursuing that kind of change, probably as a side-hustle to start, with the ultimate goal of selling out for a cash windfall.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Sorry to hear that but at least the light is shining.

This job has removed all of my self-confidence. I've had a couple of thoughts about LLCs and working for myself, but I make 50% more than my wife so it'd be a risky proposition. But I am interested in possibly pursuing that kind of change, probably as a side-hustle to start, with the ultimate goal of selling out for a cash windfall.

You could try selling pics of your feet :sarcasm:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Looking to get rid of Direct TV. I do t watch TV much aside from football and hockey.

We have ESPN+ so the Sabres are mostly covered.

We’ll likely go with yahoo TV for the Bills.

Looking to get local channels,ESPN, NHL network, TNT, and NFL network for the Bills national televised games as well.

Any insight into option combos? Hulu? Apple TV?

Thanks in advance

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Looking to get rid of Direct TV. I do t watch TV much aside from football and hockey.

We have ESPN+ so the Sabres are mostly covered.

We’ll likely go with yahoo TV for the Bills.

Looking to get local channels,ESPN, NHL network, TNT, and NFL network for the Bills national televised games as well.

Any insight into option combos? Hulu? Apple TV?

Thanks in advance
SlingTV + AirTV & HD Antenna. The AirTV makes all the broadcats channels you get on the antenna available on your local network and you can watch them all through Slings interface.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Witnessed a slow-motion hit-and-run tonight. Someone plowed into the driver's side front tire of an enormous Ram 1500, then drove off slowly while being chased by the police through a plaza parking lot. The stopped him at a light one block away - the other exit to the plaza.

I didn't manage to get any shots of him in cuffs on the ground beside his vehicle but he was there. Yeehaw north Florida. :eek2:

• Haha
Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad