OT: OT Thread, Winter Edition(2nd Fall for Georgians)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The battery tech still has me worried. There are only so many charges until the batteries degrade and you're left with significantly less range. Paying $22,000 for a new battery pack isn't feasible imho. That said hope it works out awesome for you!
You realize their batteries are rated for 300,000-500,000 miles and have an 8 year warranty?

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ordered a Tesla today (living in Vancouver so a bit warmer here.).

The savings on gas and maintenance alone really make it worth it. Hoping this is the last car I ever buy.

Tesla will be my next vehicle not sure whether it will be this year or next. I am suppose to test drive one this week but I think I will push it out to next week now since I am scrambling a bit. When you say last car you will ever buy what do you mean?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Tesla will be my next vehicle not sure whether it will be this year or next. I am suppose to test drive one this week but I think I will push it out to next week now since I am scrambling a bit. When you say last car you will ever buy what do you mean?
I hope to never have to buy another car for 20 years. This thing should go for 500,000 km or so and 20+ years. 6 -7 month wait for my order will definitely give the 20 years a nice head start.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope to never have to buy another car for 20 years. This thing should go for 500,000 km or so and 20+ years. 6 -7 month wait for my order will definitely give the 20 years a nice head start.

The folks I know driving them are fans.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
You realize their batteries are rated for 300,000-500,000 miles and have an 8 year warranty?

Yup. And already people having issues out of warranty and being asked 20,000+ to replace batteries. That's why I'm still a bit on the fence with ev's.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I know very little about these cars, but are they projected to actually last that long (20 years and 500,000 km's)? Is the payback there (upfront cost minus projected savings)?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yup. And already people having issues out of warranty and being asked 20,000+ to replace batteries. That's why I'm still a bit on the fence with ev's.
It's range for me that is the issue. If you're not going very far and EV fits your bill, more power to you. As it stands, I barely use my car in summer and pretty much only for getting groceries (where an EV would excel) or for going hiking/lakes/golf where range becomes questionable. I got my newest car (Maxima) in May of 2019 and it has just over 12,000 km on it. A good chunk of those kms occur in blocks bigger than EVs can accomodate. My gas costs are negligible.

I still don't see many EVs in downtown Winnipeg in winter.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I know very little about these cars, but are they projected to actually last that long (20 years and 500,000 km's)? Is the payback there (upfront cost minus projected savings)?
Tesla has pumped out over a million of the model 3 now. Seems they are getting better and better. I live in Vancouver area and $1.70 gas id the norm in the summer ($1.85 premium gas). It starts adding up.

i suspect electric cars are having a tough go in Winnipeg because of the extreme cold and impact on batteries.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
One thing I find funny about EV adoption is that Winnipeg and Manitoba are set up already if you think about it. We are already used to plugging in most parking spots have plugs. Mind you not high rate charging but enough to bring it up during work.

I love anything with a motor but am not an early adopter so I'm just watching for now.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
One thing I find funny about EV adoption is that Winnipeg and Manitoba are set up already if you think about it. We are already used to plugging in most parking spots have plugs. Mind you not high rate charging but enough to bring it up during work.

I love anything with a motor but am not an early adopter so I'm just watching for now.

Random thoughts:

It's going to cost money to upgrade those plugs. That won't happen for free. Even if the government "subsidizes" it, you're paying for it. The government has exactly zero money, they only have tax dollars. But the government won't subsidize those lots and the owners will start charging more for parking because now it's not just parking and trickle charge to keep your block heater warm, it's serious drain energy.

Most of those plugs currently cycle anyways (varies, some are 15 minutes of every hour, some alternate time blocks) so is that enough on a -30 day?

When we do achieve widespread adoption of EV cars what happens to the infrastructure money that goes into the roads? That comes from fuel taxes. If we achieve that dream of not purchasing fuel any longer, who's going to pay for the upkeep of the roads? EVs are not lighter than gas powered cars, nor are they heavier. So the wear on the roads is going to be arguably the same. Do we really accept that the government is just going to absorb the costs with lost tax revenue? Not a chance. So new taxes are going to come into play to offset those lost fuel taxes. Where are they going to be placed? To be fair, on users? What's the only avenue to return that lost tax revenue? Taxes on electricity. Oh sure, not all the electricity you use in your home goes to charging your EV but don't kid yourself, there isn't a flavor of government out there that's going to think twice about generating extra tax revenue on a shaky premise.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I bought a new car last year, but I did seriously look at going electric. But when I looked at things like:

- no provincial incentive to purchase. Federally there is , but nothing in Manitoba
- not enough public charging stations
- Using Level 1 charging at home just isn't practical for every day use of an EV, so you might need to put in a Level 2 charging station at your home. Had an certified electrician look at my home, and it was $3,500 to wire in Level 2 plus $900 for the charger.
- Places where I like to travel to are just outside the range of most EVs I was looking at. And on those long trips to save time, you want to look at Level 3 ( DC fast ) charging, which has shown that "frequent use" can reduce the life of your batteries.
- Range reduction living in a cold place like Winnipeg.

I liked the idea of an EV, but for me when I run the numbers of what it will cost me out of pocket for a car and for maintenance / fuel / charging etc. Over 10 years of ownership I was still way ahead driving a gas vehicle. And I can't put a price on being able to go where ever I want without having to plan out where I get my charge.

JMO, but I see EV cars as a stepping stone to where we need to be, and not a long term solution. The solution is something like hydrogen fuel cells which has shown to have many advantages ( range, time to refuel ) over electric. The question is where do you get the hydrogen? It's all about infrastructure. Come up with a renewable way to create the hydrogen ( like wind farms or solar power to make the hydrogen ) and then we are talking.

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting conversation on EV's, taxes, battery life etc. I am pretty plugged in on emerging disruptive technologies and I talk to my business partners on things that are happening. They usually role their eyes at some of my bold predictions but last week I got a text from one of them who was snapping a photo of the driverless ride share car that showed up to pick him up in Vegas. He said it was very cool "first".

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I'm really interested in the off road potential of EV.

EV bicycle growth is huge and starting to blur the line between mtn bikes and dirt bikes.

I'd love to fly through the Whiteshell on a near silent motorcycle.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

EV bicycle growth is huge and starting to blur the line between mtn bikes and dirt bikes.

And I'm sure you and the bear you rapidly come up on and startle will have a good laugh about the whole incident. :nod:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
It happens with animals on sleds you catch them before they realize with the speeds.

You're right though on Atvs bears are usually on the run or way in the distance. So meeting a sow with cubs might be unpleasant lol. My wife loved to lead on atvs until the day I said did you see the bear you blew by back there.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Tesla spends around $1.5 billion on r and d mainly for batteries. Huge inroads being made.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I bought a new car last year, but I did seriously look at going electric. But when I looked at things like:

- no provincial incentive to purchase. Federally there is , but nothing in Manitoba
- not enough public charging stations
- Using Level 1 charging at home just isn't practical for every day use of an EV, so you might need to put in a Level 2 charging station at your home. Had an certified electrician look at my home, and it was $3,500 to wire in Level 2 plus $900 for the charger.
- Places where I like to travel to are just outside the range of most EVs I was looking at. And on those long trips to save time, you want to look at Level 3 ( DC fast ) charging, which has shown that "frequent use" can reduce the life of your batteries.
- Range reduction living in a cold place like Winnipeg.

I liked the idea of an EV, but for me when I run the numbers of what it will cost me out of pocket for a car and for maintenance / fuel / charging etc. Over 10 years of ownership I was still way ahead driving a gas vehicle. And I can't put a price on being able to go where ever I want without having to plan out where I get my charge.

JMO, but I see EV cars as a stepping stone to where we need to be, and not a long term solution. The solution is something like hydrogen fuel cells which has shown to have many advantages ( range, time to refuel ) over electric. The question is where do you get the hydrogen? It's all about infrastructure. Come up with a renewable way to create the hydrogen ( like wind farms or solar power to make the hydrogen ) and then we are talking.
BC is a different level. $3000 grant from government plus $5000 federal.

Plus chargers are absolutely everywhere. I live in a suburb and have around 15 charging stations within a few minutes of our place.

Gas also runs around .20 to .30 a litre more than Manitoba which was the deal maker for me. Even mechanic shop rates are well over $100/hr so repairs add up fast.

Weather is a biggie as well. The cold is murder to EV cars.

it was truly a dollars and cents decision for me while pleasing the wifey as well.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hybrids work well on the Prairie's...

Unless it's for just around town... stick to a Hybrid...

A buddy of mine has a full size Toyota SUV 4x4 Hybrid... loves the thing...

He's a contractor... thinks it's the cats ass...

ChillyDefenselessHarpyeagle-size_restricted.gif

:popcorn:

Reactions: ps241

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Interesting conversation on EV's, taxes, battery life etc. I am pretty plugged in on emerging disruptive technologies and I talk to my business partners on things that are happening. They usually role their eyes at some of my bold predictions but last week I got a text from one of them who was snapping a photo of the driverless ride share car that showed up to pick him up in Vegas. He said it was very cool "first".
I have no idea what I’d do if a driverless car showed up to get me. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad