OT: OT thread number 11 | No More Bad News PLEASE!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not gonna beat around the bush. Being located on an "acreage estate community" next to a place like Spruce Grove with tons of crime and drug abuse and that has had decades of problems with youth crime specifically.

Living in a remote place that isn't right in a city is going to be a hotbed for criminal elements to do crime and escape detection and while knowing any police response will be slow if it comes at all. This is the problem faced by nearly any acreage owner within quick distance of being hit by local cretins.

We avoided buying a cabin or residential rural property for the same kinds of reasons you mention. In todays new reality these places are insecure, liable to be damaged, robbed, or even broken into by squatters. We did research and the myriad problems people on acreages increasingly face made us say "not a f***ing chance"

What you describe is nothing new, and has been going on for decades. Its well documented how much difficulty rural or acreage owners have had. Not sure when you bought but you'd have to be in a cave not to be aware of these issues that are epidemic in the prairies.

Rural crime is greater than urban crime and especially such things as violent crime.

The article contains interesting articles that people misperceive that urban crime is greater and living rural safer. This is not at all the case.

Some places are hotbeds of activity. For reasons you might never entirely know. Had clients once that had 12 break ins in one year. On an acreage. I can't disclose more but if you live in the wrong type of area close to problems its constant hell that never ends.

Ever wonder why so many acreage properties go on sale and are on sale for a long long time?

What you describe is terrible but theres no solutions coming. Its getting worse.
We knew what we were getting into, obviously we didn’t expect some crime less utopia but speaking with people who’ve lived in the area for years and even decades and the common theme is that it has gotten exponentially worse over the last 2-3 years and more brazen.

We always joke with our wives that if it gets any worse hopefully we won’t ever have to do any ground penetrating radar work on our property.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We knew what we were getting into, obviously we didn’t expect some crime less utopia but speaking with people who’ve lived in the area for years and even decades and the common theme is that it has gotten exponentially worse over the last 2-3 years and more brazen.

We always joke with our wives that if it gets any worse hopefully we won’t ever have to do any ground penetrating radar work on our property.
Gonna differ in saying that the "really got worse" gear shifted the last couple decades, just that its getting even worse now, a whole other level of worse.

Don't have to tell you some of the reasons its gotten "really worse" lately.

Take how you will but you've already crossed a line with the verbal warnings. It becomes a slippery slope from there, and without realizing it you are potentially putting yourself and others in possible danger. Just shout for people to leave from a safe distance. Don't make other suggestions or get face to face.

The types you're likely dealing with aren't likely to heed warnings. Theyr'e just as likely to show up again in numbers.

First and foremost I always feel that safety takes priority over property. This is also the view in respect of how police response is allocated. The number one caution is to avoid to making a property crime become something else, like a violent crime. The annals are rife with situations where confrontations then led to much worse crimes.

I realize its incredibly frustrating, maddening even dealing with things like this but its the reactions to this that can make situations a lot worse.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Gonna differ in saying that the "really got worse" gear shifted the last couple decades, just that its getting even worse now, a whole other level of worse.

Don't have to tell you some of the reasons its gotten "really worse" lately.

Take how you will but you've already crossed a line with the verbal warnings. It becomes a slippery slope from there, and without realizing it you are potentially putting yourself and others in possible danger. Just shout for people to leave from a safe distance. Don't make other suggestions or get face to face.

The types you're likely dealing with aren't likely to heed warnings. Theyr'e just as likely to show up again in numbers.

First and foremost I always feel that safety takes priority over property. This is also the view in respect of how police response is allocated. The number one caution is to avoid to making a property crime become something else, like a violent crime. The annals are rife with situations where confrontations then led to much worse crimes.

I realize its incredibly frustrating, maddening even dealing with things like this but its the reactions to this that can make situations a lot worse.
This is the problem in my view. These crimes are becoming so prevalent because criminals realize that property owners are powerless and law enforcement is mostly incapable of catching them and even if they do, prosecution/penalty is either not happening or not a deterrent. These people don’t fear the consequences at all.

At the end of the day it’s incredibly frustrating and we’ve resigned ourselves to the fact that there’s not much more we can do about it and as things get progressively worse we will eventually just move full time somewhere less plagued by these issues.

It always reminds me of a joke by a comedian named Neil Brenna where he’s talking about how the city he lives in was planning to put a homeless shelter in his neghborhood and people were freaking out about it and they’re approaching him about signing petitions and protesting against the city’s plans and his response is “guys c’mon that’s awful, I’m not going to protest a homeless shelter… I’m just gonna move away”.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m wondering if anyone who lives in the Edmonton area have experienced property related crimes recently? It’s ridiculous how many people I know who have had vehicles stolen this summer.

Were in an acreage estate community just south of Spruce and so far have had a side by side stolen this year and several attempted break ins. We’ve made an effort to secure our property as best possible, including adding additional fencing, security cameras and trail cams. Almost weekly we have someone casing our property, I’ve had multiple discussions with the rcmp and have basically been repeatedly told there’s not much that can be done as they just don’t have the resources to keep up with the exponential rise in theft and property crimes. Theft networks have become so organized that property is moved out of the area before most people even realize it’s gone and it’s becoming more and more difficult to track and recover property let alone catch and prosecute perpetrators.

I bring it up because we had another incident last night where I got a notification from one of the trail cams we set up on the property (my wife’s sister and her family built the main house and my wife and I have a guesthouse cabin we built on the property where we spend our summers) I texted my brother in law and we went out and snuck up on these guys trying to get into one of the garages. Of course they were sketchy heads so we kindly walked them back to their vehicle, took some photos of them and their vehicle and went full Yellowstone on them “if you set foot on this property one more time, you will never leave”

it’s getting ridiculous at this point how frequently this is happening.
That sucks. Nothing noticeable in our area, but touch wood we have been lucky in the 35 years we have lived out in the boonies, as we get very little crime out here, and it's far safer here than in the city. Hopefully they catch the punks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That sucks. Nothing noticeable in our area, but touch wood we have been lucky in the 35 years we have lived out in the boonies, as we get very little crime out here, and it's far safer here than in the city. Hopefully they catch the punks.
My buddy has got a quad on two different pieces of his land this week. First time was by fluke as he noticed quad tracks in a recently combined field, so he followed the tracks. After that he's been more alert and looking for this. Both times he went after the guy, but he got away.

Police figure they are coming in from one side of the field and scoping out the farmers on the other side. They haven't had it this year, but generally every year a farmer will get a vehicle stolen as a lot of farmers will leave a vehicle by the field they are working in just in case of emergency or if they have a breakdown and such.

Police are just as frustrated as they have so much area to cover and they have a budget that isn't allowing them to just be driving around the country roads all day. Even when they are catching the guys they get out on bail and are back at it.

The one old timer told the police he's done with this and walks around with a revolver now. He was told just dig a deep enough hole. Which I kind of laughed when I heard it, but the last thing that people need is for these criminals to start arming themselves.

I just don't see this issue ever ending until people start getting real time for crimes they are committing.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m wondering if anyone who lives in the Edmonton area have experienced property related crimes recently? It’s ridiculous how many people I know who have had vehicles stolen this summer.

Were in an acreage estate community just south of Spruce and so far have had a side by side stolen this year and several attempted break ins. We’ve made an effort to secure our property as best possible, including adding additional fencing, security cameras and trail cams. Almost weekly we have someone casing our property, I’ve had multiple discussions with the rcmp and have basically been repeatedly told there’s not much that can be done as they just don’t have the resources to keep up with the exponential rise in theft and property crimes. Theft networks have become so organized that property is moved out of the area before most people even realize it’s gone and it’s becoming more and more difficult to track and recover property let alone catch and prosecute perpetrators.

I bring it up because we had another incident last night where I got a notification from one of the trail cams we set up on the property (my wife’s sister and her family built the main house and my wife and I have a guesthouse cabin we built on the property where we spend our summers) I texted my brother in law and we went out and snuck up on these guys trying to get into one of the garages. Of course they were sketchy heads so we kindly walked them back to their vehicle, took some photos of them and their vehicle and went full Yellowstone on them “if you set foot on this property one more time, you will never leave”

it’s getting ridiculous at this point how frequently this is happening.
You know I have no idea how you get your hands on one, but if you could ever get one of those machines the Game Wardens use for scaring geese off crops that might work. Essentially it simulates a gunshot. Maybe if there is a way for you to run it from your phone once someone steps on your land it'll work.

But then again like I said in previous post then they may start to arm themselves.

I know a ton of people in various parts of Alberta that farm or live on acreages and it's just disgusting with the crime.

So many methods tried to prevent even guys leaving their old houses that they strictly use during farming season open. Only to come and see people were too stupid to even just turn the door knob and do damage to get into the house.

The only good thing thieves did was still about 20 old batteries from one friend. He was never going to take them to get recycled and get the money for them, so it cleaned up some space for him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Anybody else having problems with this site when that Apple TV ad starts to play? If I’m on my iPad it takes up the top third of my screen including where the page numbers are for the threads. If I’m on my phone it takes up the bottom 3/4 of the screen. I don’t see anywhere to click to get rid of it. It’s annoying on the iPad, it’s impossible to use the site on the phone.

Reactions: Rennlist

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Anybody else having problems with this site when that Apple TV ad starts to play? If I’m on my iPad it takes up the top third of my screen including where the page numbers are for the threads. If I’m on my phone it takes up the bottom 3/4 of the screen. I don’t see anywhere to click to get rid of it. It’s annoying on the iPad, it’s impossible to use the site on the phone.
Have you tried an adblocker? I use one and don't see any ads.

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
YT hole of crazy 70's music

Not sure where this is from but ftr this was never seen here, heard here, or occurred here in anyway. Its almost as if somebody made some kind of retro fromage video and put it out there.

edit: lol, of course, from Australia. This never went anywhere outside down under. So bad it hurts. Should be a Flames video..

This is farking awful

I have to listen to some Sabbath just to flush out my eardrums.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure where this is from but ftr this was never seen here, heard here, or occurred here in anyway. Its almost as if somebody made some kind of retro fromage video and put it out there.

edit: lol, of course, from Australia. This never went anywhere outside down under. So bad it hurts. Should be a Flames video..

This is farking awful

I have to listen to some Sabbath just to flush out my eardrums.

I started watching Dr Hook and the medicine videos and well--a lot of bad 70's shit is no on my youtube stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad