OT: OT - I knew I should'a taken that left turn at Albuquerque

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Possible evac soon. Latest fire started this morning on the Mescalero and is now heading my way.

Hopefully that’s not the case.

We just had a super burst here. I was sitting outside at the picnic table talking to my landlord and we saw a blur go by our heads and a bang. We nearly got hit by a bag of cans and have no idea where it came from. Meanwhile my empty water bottle that was sitting beside me didn’t move. A bunch of screens went flying off the windows and now he’s gotta replace those because they’re bent to shit. And a bunch of trees, on his property and on the ones next door, are broken. Now it’s back to clear skies, very little wind, and a bunch of heat.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Arrived Saturday for a few days in Jekyll Island, GA, with wife's best friend, husband, and ~8yo son.

We have a VRBO. I won't say what we're paying per night, but suffice to say, it would have been a drop in the bucket on their profit for them to have left any (even just 1) spare rolls of toilet paper in the place besides the lone roll on each of the bathroom dowel / spindles. Two families in a 3 BR house for 1 week. It's 30 min off the island to the shopping center.

Normally, when we car (truck) vacation, we grab a cloth grocery bag we keep in the laundry room pre-packed with travel dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, paper towels. There's no extra of those supplies either. Two dishwasher tabs for a full week were provided and a couple ounces of diluted dish soap. No tupperware for leftovers (not even re-used plastic Chinese takeout or grocery store deli containers, no plastic wraps, foils, or baggies of any kind).

Being an Eagle Scout, I keep toilet paper and paper towels, first aid kit, emergency kit, etc., in my truck, so we're not inconvenienced (with admittedly 1st-world problems) but if I ever have the means to rent my abode as a VRBO, mi casa es su casa, and you're not going to sweat the small stuff.

We've done VRBO before without anywhere near such spartan provisions.

Wife checked the interwebs and supposedly the lack of provided spare toilet paper is a common complaint of vacationers on the island here (the irony is there is a paper mill several miles up-river). I told my wife I'd retire here and supplement my income selling toilet paper, dish soap, and paper towels door-to-door like the Fuller brush man of decades ago.

But it's been a great week otherwise!!!!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1718681338414.jpg

Reactions: brian_griffin

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Lol I'm featured prominently in this video. Had to grab a brick for every expat buddy.

I was reminded last night of a time at the Pink when Jay McKee had to step in between me and a hammered Ville Leino. Ville was somehow less valuable to Buffalo off the ice than on it. Good times 😅

Always figured I'd end up there after the Bills or Sabres finally won a title and it would have been just insane. Oh well...

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lol I'm featured prominently in this video. Had to grab a brick for every expat buddy.

I was reminded last night of a time at the Pink when Jay McKee had to step in between me and a hammered Ville Leino. Ville was somehow less valuable to Buffalo off the ice than on it. Good times 😅

Always figured I'd end up there after the Bills or Sabres finally won a title and it would have been just insane. Oh well...
20230124_230914.jpg

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
??

Not sure if Basquiat ever made it to the bar, but I imagine his bandmate Vincent Gallo did.
That is a painting/drawing by Leino representing his time in Buffalo

(No, I'm not joking. He became some hipster artist post hockey career).

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That is a painting/drawing by Leino representing his time in Buffalo

(No, I'm not joking. He became some hipster artist post hockey career).

He has his own clothing line.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Hated fires like this in general but especially in this weather.

I didn’t deal with the owner directly in my code enforcement days. But he drove those that did nuts.

Last edited:

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Hated fires like this in general but especially in this weather.

I didn’t deal with the owner directly in my code enforcement days. But he drive those that did nuts.

I battled that asshole for years trying to figure out how to pry that building and others away from him.

70s-80s style demolition by neglect in 2024, disgusting. That could have been such a cool historic reuse and an asset to the district around the arena. Shitty couple days for us historically-minded city dwellers.

Hope all the BFD boys are safe and accounted for, I can only imagine how nasty these calls are.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I battled that asshole for years trying to figure out how to pry that building and others away from him.

70s-80s style demolition by neglect in 2024, disgusting. That could have been such a cool historic reuse and an asset to the district around the arena. Shitty couple days for us historically-minded city dwellers.

Hope all the BFD boys are safe and accounted for, I can only imagine how nasty these calls are.
The 2nd platoon is going to be some tired folks by 8am tomorrow. They had The Pink at the tail end of their first 24hr shift. Then this one in the middle of their second 24hrs. Hopefully the City is quiet the rest of the night. But it rarely is in this type of weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOats

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Careworkers on strike in Sweden and my cat mistakes my finger for the clawclipper (he loves being groomed but likes to chew on the clipper).
The wound was deep but closed on itself, I'm guessing I will be sitting here until tomorrow morning.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I swear the girls are trying to kill me. Been bed ridden the last couple days, so no eating and walker to and from. I have 3 kitchens in the house, the show kitchen, the dirty kitchen which is outback fully ventilated, and the outdoor kitchen with the grill, burners, and deep fryer. So laying in bed watching MHL games and #1 and housekeeper are cooking dried fish in the show kitchen stinking up the entire house at 9pm. It stinks, plain and simple

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I swear the girls are trying to kill me. Been bed ridden the last couple days, so no eating and walker to and from. I have 3 kitchens in the house, the show kitchen, the dirty kitchen which is outback fully ventilated, and the outdoor kitchen with the grill, burners, and deep fryer. So laying in bed watching MHL games and #1 and housekeeper are cooking dried fish in the show kitchen stinking up the entire house at 9pm. It stinks, plain and simple

Yell at them to use the microwave to do that like a normal human being

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: KiwiGriff and Ehran

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't think I've ever seen them use the microwave. They needed to fry the fish with 🌶 and fish sauce as snacks for their Thai horror movie. Funny part is I saw them out at the spirit house making offerings after the movie so I guess it scared them

Snacks for a movie?!?!

You need to introduce them to popcorn and/or nachos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad