OT: Boston Accents in movies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg in the departed was pretty cool.

Also enjoy Larry Johnsons accent on WEEI.

My friend Eddy from southie has the best accent I've ever heard.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The ones non-Bostonians think are good are usually horrible, and the ones they think are bad are usually the most authentic. I once read an amateur critic who claimed "Ben Affleck does the worst Boston accent I've ever heard" without knowing Affleck was born and raised here.

The best I've heard lately? Michael Keaton in Spotlight, because the real life guy he was playing (Walter "Robby" Robinson) could switch his accent on and off as needed, so when Keaton tried to mimic that, he didn't try too hard when it was switched on.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They're all bad. Without fail. The worst movie for the bad Boston accents on display was Mystic River. Literally unwatchable. The Departed was also very very bad. Even the local guys who were in it sucked for some reason.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg in the departed was pretty cool.

Also enjoy Larry Johnsons accent on WEEI.

My friend Eddy from southie has the best accent I've ever heard.

I think Marky Mark and Matt Damon's accent sound exaggerated and forced.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If I'm not mistaken didn't many people from Boston applaud the accents in 'The Black Donnolly's' ABC television series? I was sad to see that one end with actors moving on to bigger roles.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
They're all bad. Without fail. The worst movie for the bad Boston accents on display was Mystic River. Literally unwatchable. The Departed was also very very bad. Even the local guys who were in it sucked for some reason.

Martin Sheen's was awful in the Departed.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Very funny!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Laura Linney, yikes.

Kevin Costner in "Thirteen Days", yeesh.

Best ever, for what it's worth, IMO, Robert Mitchum in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle". I can almost see my old seats in Section 98.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think Marky Mark and Matt Damon's accent sound exaggerated and forced.

The accent changes when you leave the Boston neighborhoods. I can hear a guy from Hyde Park and someone from Cambridge and even that's different. The real Boston accent is severe and can be heard beyond the lack of pronouncing Rs.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
The accent changes when you leave the Boston neighborhoods. I can hear a guy from Hyde Park and someone from Cambridge and even that's different. The real Boston accent is severe and can be heard beyond the lack of pronouncing Rs.

Yeah, that's what makes the accent so hard to do. It's not just dropping off R's in an exaggerated way. Certain words are pronounced differently, and sometimes R's are added into words. Like lawr enforcement.

Also, was the kid who played OC in Miracle from Boston?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yeah, that's what makes the accent so hard to do. It's not just dropping off R's in an exaggerated way. Certain words are pronounced differently, and sometimes R's are added into words. Like lawr enforcement.

Also, was the kid who played OC in Miracle from Boston?

And the accent can vary,from severe to more moderate,and fade right away in some suburbs. I can be back in the hood in JP and I don't even notice it,but if I see someone interviewed on the news or something,it sounds very distinct and urban,to be polite.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
What accent?

I never thought I had a Boston accent until I lived in Colorado for three years. But my parents are both from Brooklyn, so I always thought I was neither.

The rest of the country thinks the exaggeration you usually see in media is the real thing, but as others have described, it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood and town to town. Part of it is definitely based on socioeconomic and cultural differences. Boston Brahmins don't sound like the guys scalping tickets outside the Garden.

Someone mentioned Costner's performance in "Thirteen Days," but there are people who really do speak like that. Ted Kennedy didn't have "the" Boston accent, but it was always obvious where he was from when he spoke. Maybe Ken O'Donnell (Costner's role) is the same, although I agree Costner totally overdoes it.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

An aside, I 've heard some funny stories from some old coast guard guys in Massachusetts about Webber. One involved 'borrowing' a military vehicle to attend a Christmas dinner then running it into a town square, then deciding he had too much to drink so just abandoning it and walking home. Another involved polishing the manhood on a horse statue. If you know any old coast guard guys, they always have funny stories to tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad