OT: OT-“Look, maybe I didn’t say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.”

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Friday night I got hit with something that caused my body to be sore all over with a bad headache and sinus pain. Was so bad it forced me to miss a Broadway play on Saturday I had already purchased a ticket to. Thankfully I'm feeling better today.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Friday night I got hit with something that caused my body to be sore all over with a bad headache and sinus pain. Was so bad it forced me to miss a Broadway play on Saturday I had already purchased a ticket to. Thankfully I'm feeling better today.
Glad you are starting to feel better. After I first read this I go “I hope he got checked for a concussion if he got hit that hard by something.”

It took way too long for the “hit by meaning a cold” realization to hit. :laugh::help:

Reactions: sabremike

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1186.jpeg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dad’s funeral was yesterday. I think in times like this you really see who your true friends are. Two of my friends drove/flew into horseheads from multiple hours away. It was a rough few days but was a good celebration of dad’s legacy.

Cool to know you have people who will come in for something like this. Hope you and the Mrs. and the twins are holding up okay.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So there’s a festival here that happens every August, and I’m supposed to try to expand it to make it so it’s a spot to hit. It’s extremely tricky, because bands I know want too much money than the festival brings in overall to play it. And because my city is full of broke ass people, you can’t charge too much. And my city doesn’t want to pay up the difference between the two things, even though they want to make it a summer target. It’s frustrating because I have numerous people who will do this festival at basically garage sale prices (compared to what they usually charge) as a favour to me and because they like the area. And it runs the spectrum of genres, and a few sold out stadiums so they’re taking a huge pay cut. I’ve tried to point out that if you pay to make it a destination, then my city becoming a tourist destination will follow which will offset all those costs.

So you know: eff politics.

Reactions: yahhockey

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Any thoughts on Dobermans? My friend's neighbor up in the jungle breeds full Euros and has an unplanned litter thanks to his 4yo daughter learning how to open pens. He's offering a deal to get a pup at 16wks that has basic obedience training etc for about $900 depending on exchange rate

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Any thoughts on Dobermans? My friend's neighbor up in the jungle breeds full Euros and has an unplanned litter thanks to his 4yo daughter learning how to open pens. He's offering a deal to get a pup at 16wks that has basic obedience training etc for about $900 depending on exchange rate
my cousin has had several Dobies, and our old next door neighbor had one. They are sweethearts, and they are smart. Trained well, like any breed, and there's no issues with them. since they have that narrow waist, you do have to watch out for that stomach flipping and them dying from that. That's how my neighbor's Dobie died. It can happen quickly. (I know this can happen in horses as well...called colic with them, I thinnk.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
my cousin has had several Dobies, and our old next door neighbor had one. They are sweethearts, and they are smart. Trained well, like any breed, and there's no issues with them. since they have that narrow waist, you do have to watch out for that stomach flipping and them dying from that. That's how my neighbor's Dobie died. It can happen quickly. (I know this can happen in horses as well...called colic with them, I thinnk.
I was just wondering as we used Malinois since they didn't get as attached to their trainer so my experience with them is practically zero.

Giving serious thought to it, and I know the trained 16wk versus 8wk is best for me

Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's how my first dog passed. Couldn't get my parents to take her to the vet. Still a traumatic memory.

• Wow

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
been away a few weeks, dropped in to see what's up...
Rough week. Dad got put into comfort care late last week. Took a turn on Wednesday, drove up, came back a bit on Thursday/Friday and got to spend some time with him, but Saturday he really started down his final stretch. I spent something like 14 hours at the hospital on Saturday. Drove back sunday to spend mothers day with the wife and kids as he was stable-ish. Sunday night he turned, and he finally passed away this morning.

Dad was a life long Sabres fan. Went to the first game in 1970, has season tickets the first few years as a college student at UB. Was at Game 6 of the 75 finals. He was much more optimistic for them than I was the past few years (who wasn't though?). We went to a handful of playoff games together, game 3 vs Boston in 99, game 2 vs the Rangers in 07.

Dad got was diagnosed with an extremely rare heart cancer (like, better chances winning a power ball rare. He was something like the 11th documented case in the last 20 years) in September of last year, essentially a cancer that starts in the heart. He had a giant tumor blocking his valve which was slowly killing him. Once they found it was cancer and metastatic, no hospital in western NY would do the surgery because to them, he was already gone. Cleveland Clinic did, however. They got the tumor out and gave him 6 more months, which I am eternally grateful for. We went to the Bills/Eagles game together, got to spend one last thanksgiving and christmas with him. He was limited, but still himself. The cancer was started to get his femur in January so they put in a rod to reinforce it. They started him on experimental cancer medicine and between that and the surgery, It was a slow slide to inevitability.

Just glad he isn't suffering anymore, the last 3 weeks have been tough.
(and)
Dad’s funeral was yesterday. I think in times like this you really see who your true friends are. Two of my friends drove/flew into horseheads from multiple hours away. It was a rough few days but was a good celebration of dad’s legacy.
So sorry Matt for you and your family. Your updates to us since his diagnosis were a testimony of your love and concern. Wishing all of you peace of mind and heart, and rest to his soul.

I've made it a point in my life to adventure to different areas with vastly different people. Ill go to bars with "Let's go Brandon" signs on the wall, then Ill venture to bars with Pride flags plastered everywhere. From rugged, rural guys who want the 'leave it to beaver' America back to trans people who taught me the difference between trans and cross dressers to BBQs in the hood where Im the only white guy. Ive truly experienced so many different populations of people.

I've learned to try my best not to hold resentment toward people. We're all just products of our environments afterall.
Minority contribution. Genetics dominates so much of intelligence, behavior, physical and mental health / life expectancy, addiction predisposition, etc.

Back in a few weeks for the draft...

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Anyone listen to the Terrence Howard interview on JRE?

I'm listening on the commute the work and back this week.

What he's saying sounds crazy.... but he doesn't sound crazy. Is he nuts or just genius misunderstood because he's going against the grain?

Either way it's very interesting.

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
How's this for a $10 order from a German bakery

Foot long ham, turkey, chorizo sub
Foot long chorizo with German pickles
Foot long dog wrapped in bacon
Foot long dog with relish
Sausage with sauerkraut
Qt of potato salad
This would be $400 in any NHL arena :laugh:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well shit. I just had one of the foster kids we had growing up just show up, and man is she ever f***ed up. Half naked, feet full of blisters, arguing with people that aren’t there, so clearly on meth and suffering from mental issues. I know she hasn’t had the best life before, but it was really sad to see. I bandaged her feet, let her shower, and fed her and then she left. She wanted money, but I refused that because I know where that was going.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Well shit. I just had one of the foster kids we had growing up just show up, and man is she ever f***ed up. Half naked, feet full of blisters, arguing with people that aren’t there, so clearly on meth and suffering from mental issues. I know she hasn’t had the best life before, but it was really sad to see. I bandaged her feet, let her shower, and fed her and then she left. She wanted money, but I refused that because I know where that was going.

Horrific. I hope she gets help.

This would be $400 in any NHL arena :laugh:

Yeah but they'd make it cute. "Come celebrate the careers of Jerry Korab and Marty Biron with our special $4-00 dinner feast!"

• Haha
Reactions: BB79

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
What I have seen is that the officer that latched onto his SUV never turned his body cam on.
Not turning the BWC on in the very moment a scenario becomes non-BWC worthy to BWC mandatory is not necessarily a very wrong action (non-action). There's too many situations where it's unreasonable to expect an officer to turn it on, even when it's written in policy.

OTOH, what I read showed this officer was only there due to the fatal accident and not part of the regular off-duty LEOs working the event. These events require a stupid amount of planning and traffic can easily become a cluster if an officer isn't experienced or familiar with the logistics of the event plan. I can safely bet that the officer had no idea of the protocols for players to get around traffic, and probably got all personally bent when an SUV tried going past him, without understanding how easy it is for drivers to not understand which officer is yelling which command at the moment.

If he did actually latch onto the passing vehicle, well that's just dumb and creating your own injurious situation, that would be chalked up as a learning experience for young/rookie officers. It's easy to make other assumptions about the guy, but at the least it's a weak case that just doesn't lend itself to being reasonable/believable. The DA's office might hang onto the charges for a bit just so they don't seem like their giving a famous guy special treatment, but it's pretty doubtful the whole thing doesn't get canned at some point.

I'd bet a hefty amount that this officer never gets assigned to that event in the future, if he ever tries to sign up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've heard that they can be a bit more skittish than some breeds, but I've found it is different from dog to dog. Training and teaching technique go a long way to how any dog responds.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Not turning the BWC on in the very moment a scenario becomes non-BWC worthy to BWC mandatory is not necessarily a very wrong action (non-action). There's too many situations where it's unreasonable to expect an officer to turn it on, even when it's written in policy.

OTOH, what I read showed this officer was only there due to the fatal accident and not part of the regular off-duty LEOs working the event. These events require a stupid amount of planning and traffic can easily become a cluster if an officer isn't experienced or familiar with the logistics of the event plan. I can safely bet that the officer had no idea of the protocols for players to get around traffic, and probably got all personally bent when an SUV tried going past him, without understanding how easy it is for drivers to not understand which officer is yelling which command at the moment.

If he did actually latch onto the passing vehicle, well that's just dumb and creating your own injurious situation, that would be chalked up as a learning experience for young/rookie officers. It's easy to make other assumptions about the guy, but at the least it's a weak case that just doesn't lend itself to being reasonable/believable. The DA's office might hang onto the charges for a bit just so they don't seem like their giving a famous guy special treatment, but it's pretty doubtful the whole thing doesn't get canned at some point.

I'd bet a hefty amount that this officer never gets assigned to that event in the future, if he ever tries to sign up.
Apparently, this officer has been involved in 6 other “incidents” in his career.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I've heard that they can be a bit more skittish than some breeds, but I've found it is different from dog to dog. Training and teaching technique go a long way to how any dog responds.
They're all different in their traits and personalities albeit generally falling within breed norms. I wouldn't want / need the advanced guard training but my police contact ie my landlord says that his K9 handlers wouldn't mind a bit of extra income to train the pup to a high degree

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They're all different in their traits and personalities albeit generally falling within breed norms. I wouldn't want / need the advanced guard training but my police contact ie my landlord says that his K9 handlers wouldn't mind a bit of extra income to train the pup to a high degree

I still think it's funny that doobies ended Chesty Puller's military career.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I still think it's funny that doobies ended Chesty Puller's military career.
He should of stuck with bulldogs, anything else is blasphemy to a Marine.

Got an email so my choices 6wk male or one of 2 females, or I can wait for the new litter to arrive which with the 16wk training means mid to end Nov. The upcoming litter has no precedent as it's the female's first breeding

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He should of stuck with bulldogs, anything else is blasphemy to a Marine.

Got an email so my choices 6wk male or one of 2 females, or I can wait for the new litter to arrive which with the 16wk training means mid to end Nov. The upcoming litter has no precedent as it's the female's first breeding

He told a congressional hearing what he thought of them and he was honest. That in his experience, they tended to turn on their handlers under fire more than shepherds did. A senator's wife got angry and helped get him cached. Still the most incredible thing in his biography to me.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He told a congressional hearing what he thought of them and he was honest. That in his experience, they tended to turn on their handlers under fire more than shepherds did. A senator's wife got angry and helped get him cached. Still the most incredible thing in his biography to me.
Didn't the poor German Shepherds also end up falling out of favor due to being the dog of choice for the Bull Connor's of the world to sic on protesters which gave them a negative public image?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad