Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You’re all entitled to your opinion and it’s highly subjective, but after watching nearly every game of his since he got to oshawa, he isn’t a player who relies on his size to cheat the game or take advantage of smaller guys, he’s honestly more of a skilled player despite his size. That’s why I think a situation where he will handle the puck a lot more, play PP minutes and be a relied upon player will he more beneficial for his long term development than playing 4th line minutes against pro’s. Unless the Rangers don’t see him ever being a top 9 guy at the NHL level and are just developing a future 4th line guy, puck touches are the #1 factor in player development in 2024. It may sound crazy, but oshawa has far superior facilities to Hartford as well, for whatever that’s worth. To me if they’re serious about developing him, play him with some experienced pro’s and get him PP time, allow his offensive game to develop rather than stunting that area of his game. But to each their own, there are no right answers. Do you think Allard being sent to the Soo is a mistake? He’s not as tall as Roobroeck, but is a better all around player, has WJC experience and was a higher pick in the NHL.

Because of his size, it is very difficult to contain him at the OHL level. That allows him to cheat his development. What he can get away with at the OHL level, he can’t at the AHL level. IT really is that simple.

He needs to be up against bigger and more mature players so he is adequately challenged physically so he can learn how to use his size effectively because at the AHL and NHL level he will NEED to.

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If Smith goes , OS won't take an OA in return.

This year is about developing a young roster.

They'd go the last 3 months with 2 OA, and either a younger Dman or picks to turn into one .

Smith staying on as C couldn't have worked better.

Dale DeGray is a guy who always wants to make the playoffs. Tanking isn't in his blood. Could see him, more than anyone, want an OA coming back to help the D-core from getting caved in the rest of the season.
You need to start listening to @HUSH10 and I! Lol. Just like when I told ya Delisle, Bedkowski and picks would make sense for Barlow (and you told me Delisle wasn’t good enough), we were bang on again that DeGray would want an OA Dman to mentor his young team and prevent them from getting caved in because he’s always wanting to make the playoffs. I just thought it would come 2 months from now instead of 2 weeks after I said it! Lol

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
You need to start listening to us! Lol. Just like when I told ya Delisle, Bedkowski and picks would make sense for Barlow (and you told me Delisle wasn’t good enough), we were bang on again that DeGray would want an OA Dman to mentor his young team and prevent them from getting caved in because he’s always wanting to make the playoffs. I just thought it would come 2 months from now instead of 2 weeks after I said it! Lol
It was a move necessitated by injury. Bedkowski is still on the shelf for around two weeks and with Smith out injured as well now, they only have 5 healthy D. They needed another body and don't really have any internal options so in comes Leonard. Price is right too.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It was a move necessitated by injury. Bedkowski is still on the shelf for around two weeks and with Smith out injured as well now, they only have 5 healthy D. They needed another body and don't really have any internal options so in comes Leonard. Price is right too.
If "it was about developing a young roster" like he said, they could sign an 07 or 08. But DeGray (smartly) doesn't want his team to get caved in the rest of the season so he wants an OA to fill that spot, which is literally what we told the other OS poster would happen, it just happened 2 months early lol

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If "it was about developing a young roster" like he said, they could sign an 07 or 08. But DeGray (smartly) doesn't want his team to get caved in the rest of the season so he wants an OA to fill that spot, which is literally what we told the other OS poster would happen, it just happened 2 months early lol
You could sign an 07 or 08 if Owen Sound had any that were OHL caliber in their prospect pool lol. The only two that would fit that bill are both headed to the NCAA, Mason Roy and Jet Kwajah. I don't think this was a move they wanted to make but had to. They can't wait to make a move and play with 5 D for two weeks trying to acquire a young player from another organization, Leonard was available now.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You could sign an 07 or 08 if Owen Sound had any that were OHL caliber in their prospect pool lol. The only two that would fit that bill are both headed to the NCAA, Mason Roy and Jet Kwajah. I don't think this was a move they wanted to make but had to. They can't wait to make a move and play with 5 D for two weeks trying to acquire a young player from another organization, Leonard was available now.
Yeah it's definitely the right move, which is what we told him. And it was always going to happen, which is what we told him lol. Even if Smith was healthy until the deadline, they were going to trade him and go with only 6D the rest of the year so if one got suspended/hurt, they only had 5? Of course not, they were always going to have an OA D-man coming back. But when we told him that he said we were wrong. Now 10 days later when they do the thing we told him they were gonna, he's over the moon and loves the move :laugh:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Yeah it's definitely the right move, which is what we told him. And it was always going to happen, which is what we told him lol. Even if Smith was healthy until the deadline, they were going to trade him and go with only 6D the rest of the year so if one got suspended/hurt, they only had 5? Of course not, they were always going to have an OA D-man coming back. But when we told him that he said we were wrong. Now 10 days later when they do the thing we told him they were gonna, he's over the moon and loves the move :laugh:
I don't think anyone thought they would look to run the rest of the season on 6D. They needed another body. I think the idea was once Smith moved, ice time would fall to some of the other pieces on the roster rather than bringing in another OA D to eat those minutes. The young D pieces on the Attack roster have surpassed expectations in the early going. I think the 7th D could have come by way of a player getting squeezed out of a team that made upgrades that could have contributed in Owen Sound beyond this year.

I think in general you'd have a hard time finding an Owen Sound fan who isn't happy about the move for Leonard to replace the injured Smith for the time being. If Smith were healthy this move doesn't take place, maybe it doesn't take place if Bedkowski is healthy either as they still would have had 6 healthy D. Can't run 5D while waiting on Bedkowski which is what necessitated this move.

The deadline is till months away so things are subject to change. If the Attack D hold up then they may not need a veteran OA D to soak minutes and take away the ice time for the younger guys to further develop.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't think anyone thought they would look to run the rest of the season on 6D.
He literally said they wouldn't be bringing in a veteran D because this year is "all about developing the youth", so yeah at least one person thought that lol. Anyways, enough of his insane, embarrassing backpedaling and back to Gens matters..

Send Ritchie back! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad