Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Yeah those are good points, I tend to agree but I also see the benefit from him spending a year in junior as opposed to riding the pine and essentially losing a year of development, skill wise. I know he’s huge and will mix it up physically, but I also think there’s a lot more skill and potential offence there with him that would benefit from another year as a go to guy, playing all situations and coming into next year with more confidence. He’ll never be a Rempe or a Will Cuylle imo, despite his huge frame. He really has only had 1 year in the OHL as a top player too, and I think one more year refining his skill set would be beneficial. See someone like Konnor Smith or Jacob Julien. Unless they truly don’t view him as being anything more than a bottom 6 AHL guy for life and he’s where they expect to him to be in 2-3 years, I think one more year in junior helps more than what he’s getting now. But I do see what you’re saying.
There always still a chance but my Rangers source told me the plan was for him to play AHL.
Obviously things can still change though.
Yeah I think both of you raise good points and I see the argument for keeping him up. But don’t you think the strides he took last year could be stunted playing a very limited role in the AHL and likely never playing in prime situations? At that age I feel it’s important to be a go to player on a team rather than a mere depth option.
Not at all!
He is learning to be a pro now.
Getting the feel for a completely different style of hockey.
He will have to earn his minutes and they won’t force them on him.

Reactions: dirty12

hockeyisbest

Oct 1, 2024
Yeah I think both of you raise good points and I see the argument for keeping him up. But don’t you think the strides he took last year could be stunted playing a very limited role in the AHL and likely never playing in prime situations? At that age I feel it’s important to be a go to player on a team rather than a mere depth option.on ice training in the AHL is quite a few notches above what’s been given in the OHL. Time for Rangers to develop from work

There always still a chance but my Rangers source told me the plan was for him to play AHL.
Obviously things can still change though.
Not at all!
He is learning to be a pro now.
Getting the feel for a completely different style of hockey.
He will have to earn his minutes and they won’t force them on him.
Rangers need to develop Roebrooek, AHL on ice training is several notches above OHL training.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Brantford getting Hamara and apparently Jiricek is already skating with the team so he will be reassigned soon too. I know I said they are a “next year” team but I did not expect two freebie D-Men returned to them. All of a sudden, I think we need to take them more seriously.
You're saying this to the person who's been telling you from day 1 that they won't let Lardis walk without going for a run with him lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
There's not much benefit to returning him to Oshawa for the Rangers organization.
He has the size already now he needs to adapt to playing with Men that are his size instead of dominating 160lb teenagers.
From a business stand point paying him to play for Oshawa makes zero sense.
Aside from playing more ice time development wise I don't see much upside either as he's gaining nothing but Minutes playing in Oshawa. If anything he will likely not be able to kick some bad habits that he gets away with playing against kids.
It's not like playing in the OHL against kids this season will turn him into a top 6 AHL Forward. It will just slow down his ability to adapt to pro hockey.

You guys are looking at it from the Oshawa perspective of wanting to win this season but not exactly what's best for the player imo.
If this was a player that was not big enough and strong enough this is a different story.
You do not through a 20 year old into the AHL and play him 20 mins a game he needs to adapt by being on the ice in a limited role seeing the difference in speed and size of the players there.
It's completely different hockey.
its not as simple as "he's big, he's ready to play pro". As other people have said, stapling him to the 4th line and completely wasting the year does him no good. In the OHL he can play 19+ minutes game, get PP and PK work and continue to work on his overall game, which is hard to do when you never play/never have the puck.

Will NYR send him back? Maybe not. But nobody can act like there's no reasons as to why they could see it being a benefit. Same reasons as to why Hamara/Jiricek aren't playing pro this year.

Another key part of this is Hunt was told by NYR pre-season that if Roobroeck looked out of place, they'd be comfortable sending him back to Oshawa. Has he looked out of place? I have no idea, I've only seen the boxscores, but NYR is open to the idea if they feel that's the case. Some teams would say no he's staying no matter what, but NYR isn't in that boat

Reactions: Leviathan899

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You're saying this to the person who's been telling you from day 1 that they won't let Lardis walk without going for a run with him lol

LOL…YES! I am. I am being courteous and giving you a nod out of respect. I didn’t think they would get Hamara and Jiricek….for free. That is 2/3 of their defence issue solved without a piece going out the door.

I still think they will favour two year players over pure rentals but if all they need for this year is one more D-Man and a scoring forward, one of those pieces could be an ‘06 and the other? Meh. Who cares?

This is the reason why I still feel Mews is a potential candidate for them. A two-year PPG D-Man fits a need.

its not as simple as "he's big, he's ready to play pro". As other people have said, stapling him to the 4th line and completely wasting the year does him no good. In the OHL he can play 19+ minutes game, get PP and PK work and continue to work on his overall game, which is hard to do when you never play/never have the puck.

Will NYR send him back? Maybe not. But nobody can act like there's no reasons as to why they could see it being a benefit. Same reasons as to why Hamara/Jiricek aren't playing pro this year.

Another key part of this is Hunt was told by NYR pre-season that if Roobroeck looked out of place, they'd be comfortable sending him back to Oshawa. Has he looked out of place? I have no idea, I've only seen the boxscores, but NYR is open to the idea if they feel that's the case. Some teams would say no he's staying no matter what, but NYR isn't in that boat

Personally, I hope he comes back. I really want to see the Gens roll it back this year.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Yeah that’s my view as well. Like I look at Owen Allard as an example, he’s a better pro prospect than Roobroeck, and you could make the argument Julien in London is as well. Both are back in junior as there is a lot of benefit in playing in all situations, being a go to guy and leader, handling the puck a lot, which is a huge part of todays game. Was listening to Gary Roberts talk recently and he said above all else in todays modern game, puck touches are the number 1 area players need to focus on to get better and succeed at the next level, which isn’t going to happen on the 4th line. You could argue practicing vs AHL guys is beneficial and I agree there’s some benefit there, but it doesn’t replicate game situations IMO. I guess it truly comes down to what NY envisions his upside to be. If it’s merely a bottom 6 plugger then ya sure keep him up, but I’d reckon they feel there’s more to his game than that, and if so, junior is the best bet imo. If he’s a 4th line guy all year, he’s likely going to be regressing to a point next year he’ll be battling for the same spot. Time will tell I guess.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah that’s my view as well. Like I look at Owen Allard as an example, he’s a better pro prospect than Roobroeck, and you could make the argument Julien in London is as well. Both are back in junior as there is a lot of benefit in playing in all situations, being a go to guy and leader, handling the puck a lot, which is a huge part of todays game. Was listening to Gary Roberts talk recently and he said above all else in todays modern game, puck touches are the number 1 area players need to focus on to get better and succeed at the next level, which isn’t going to happen on the 4th line. You could argue practicing vs AHL guys is beneficial and I agree there’s some benefit there, but it doesn’t replicate game situations IMO. I guess it truly comes down to what NY envisions his upside to be. If it’s merely a bottom 6 plugger then ya sure keep him up, but I’d reckon they feel there’s more to his game than that, and if so, junior is the best bet imo. If he’s a 4th line guy all year, he’s likely going to be regressing to a point next year he’ll be battling for the same spot. Time will tell I guess.
Wish AHL would track TOI. No idea how much he's playing, just know he's not putting up points thus far

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Caeden Heins also taken off and he's signed with Smith's Falls in CCHL.

So neither player counts as a "card" for the Gens this year. By my count, they've used 25 and that's not including Ritchie, Roobroeck or McDonell who are all on the roster but haven't played a game

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Caeden Heins also taken off and he's signed with Smith's Falls in CCHL.

So neither player counts as a "card" for the Gens this year. By my count, they've used 25 and that's not including Ritchie, Roobroeck or McDonell who are all on the roster but haven't played a game

I have you at 24. Gravelle shouldn’t count. He’s a rookie and doesn't get his card until he has played the qualifier games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Roobroek completely dominates the slot in the OHL, and can dominate along the boards; puck touches that are too easy does not help Roobroek develop imo. As long as Roobroek is not being scratched, I do not see fourth line minutes in arguably the worlds second best hockey league a detriment to his development.
Allard has puck skills to develop in the OHL even though he may be fast enough and man enough to play in the AHL.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

Adam Jiricek is not really a comparable he's 18 and was sent down to learn to play on NA ICE and STL cited that reason.

Hamara is the victim of the sens drafting / signing 3 20-21 year old Dman and having the player development coaches son make the team over him.

Roobs situation is nothing like theres.
I believe he played 13 minutes last game which isn't terrible for an AHL Rookie.
I just don't see the benefit in playing against kids much smaller then him myself.
I have never been the biggest fan of the kid and i'm sitting here saying he's ready so that says something lol.

I can also see Bryce McConnell-Barker being sent to Bloomington if Hartford needs to free up a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Adam Jiricek is not really a comparable he's 18 and was sent down to learn to play on NA ICE and STL cited that reason.

Hamara is the victim of the sens drafting / signing 3 20-21 year old Dman and having the player development coaches son make the team over him.

Roobs situation is nothing like theres.
I believe he played 13 minutes last game which isn't terrible for an AHL Rookie.
I just don't see the benefit in playing against kids much smaller then him myself.
I have never been the biggest fan of the kid and i'm sitting here saying he's ready so that says something lol.

I can also see Bryce McConnell-Barker being sent to Bloomington if Hartford needs to free up a spot.
So it’s really just his size as a factor for you? Because McConell-Barker is a better prospect than Roobroeck. Yeah 13 minutes isn’t terrible. But looks like he’s generating no offence. The rangers should be happy that they’re developing a future bottom 6 AHL guy like this.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
So it’s really just his size as a factor for you? Because McConell-Barker is a better prospect than Roobroeck. Yeah 13 minutes isn’t terrible. But looks like he’s generating no offence. The rangers should be happy that they’re developing a future bottom 6 AHL guy like this.
Size is a massive factor determining to send a kid from the AHL back to the O.
He needs to learn to play a faster game in the A against men not dominate a game against kids.
He skates well for an oversized player. So it's not like there is going to be big gains on that in the OHL is there?
99% of the people here are looking at this with red,blue and white glasses on.

How does playing 7 extra minutes a game against kids way smaller then him help him improve as pro? -It doesn't. It just makes Oshawa better and NYR does not give a shit about that.

What they care about it developing this young man into a pro hockey player.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Size is a massive factor determining to send a kid from the AHL back to the O.
He needs to learn to play a faster game in the A against men not dominate a game against kids.
He skates well for an oversized player. So it's not like there is going to be big gains on that in the OHL is there?
99% of the people here are looking at this with red,blue and white glasses on.

How does playing 7 extra minutes a game against kids way smaller then him help him improve as pro? -It doesn't. It just makes Oshawa better and NYR does not give a shit about that.

What they care about it developing this young man into a pro hockey player.
For one, he’s yet to dominate in the OHL even once, and referring to the players as “kids” does a real disservice to the quality of the league and the size of the players. The AHL is good, but it’s dominated by young players fresh out of junior hockey a lot of the time. Roobroeck isn’t ready to be a go to player at that level. Your speaking as a more old school way of developing, where as today in the modern game, puck touches are far and away the number 1 factor in development. He isn’t a 4th line guy like a Lorentz in Toronto right now, that’ll never be his game. If they try and mold him into that, he’ll be done in pro hockey within a few years. He’s a guy who, despite his large frame, plays a more skilled game and needs to play in situations that will allow that to continue to develop. Also, the Rangers should care about that as the NHL teams rely on the CHL heavily for player development. I agree there’s an argument to be made about keeping him at that level for the year, but it isn’t cut and dry. Like I’ve said earlier, Jacob Julien, also an 04 and a higher pick in the NHL, and arguably a better OHL player, who isn’t small himself, is back. He’ll develop more in London than being a 4th line guy in Manitoba. But agree to disagree on this one I guess. Either way it’s out of our control. But if he does stick, don’t be surprised if he’s down in the Coast mid way through the season, and that’s not going to benefit anyone.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
For one, he’s yet to dominate in the OHL even once, and referring to the players as “kids” does a real disservice to the quality of the league and the size of the players. The AHL is good, but it’s dominated by young players fresh out of junior hockey a lot of the time. Roobroeck isn’t ready to be a go to player at that level. Your speaking as a more old school way of developing, where as today in the modern game, puck touches are far and away the number 1 factor in development. He isn’t a 4th line guy like a Lorentz in Toronto right now, that’ll never be his game. If they try and mold him into that, he’ll be done in pro hockey within a few years. He’s a guy who, despite his large frame, plays a more skilled game and needs to play in situations that will allow that to continue to develop. Also, the Rangers should care about that as the NHL teams rely on the CHL heavily for player development. I agree there’s an argument to be made about keeping him at that level for the year, but it isn’t cut and dry. Like I’ve said earlier, Jacob Julien, also an 04 and a higher pick in the NHL, and arguably a better OHL player, who isn’t small himself, is back. He’ll develop more in London than being a 4th line guy in Manitoba. But agree to disagree on this one I guess. Either way it’s out of our control. But if he does stick, don’t be surprised if he’s down in the Coast mid way through the season, and that’s not going to benefit anyone.

I'm not using an old school approach (i'm fairly young) and thinking like the player development coaches that i work with in the AHL several times a week and using information and knowledge they have passed onto me.

What does Steve lorentz who is a 28 year old man in the NHL even have to do with this topic?
You are sitting here assuming the plan for Dylan is to be a 9 minute 4th line player for the whole season in Hartford.
He is getting his first taste of pro hockey and they are easing him into whatever role they think he capable of.
Maybe you are underestimating his abilities. He is a surprisingly good 2 way forward at 20 years old and plays the game the right way and Pro staff will want this around.

It's okay to disagree - Hell he could be sent back tonight and that's okay but i don't think its the right decision in this case.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'm not using an old school approach (i'm fairly young) and thinking like the player development coaches that i work with in the AHL several times a week and using information and knowledge they have passed onto me.

What does Steve lorentz who is a 28 year old man in the NHL even have to do with this topic?
You are sitting here assuming the plan for Dylan is to be a 9 minute 4th line player for the whole season in Hartford.
He is getting his first taste of pro hockey and they are easing him into whatever role they think he capable of.
Maybe you are underestimating his abilities. He is a surprisingly good 2 way forward at 20 years old and plays the game the right way and Pro staff will want this around.

It's okay to disagree - Hell he could be sent back tonight and that's okay but i don't think it’s the right decision in this case.
Just like how the fronts eased Hopkins into last year and this year he looks a lot better. These pro coaches know what they’re doing

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

It's okay to disagree - Hell he could be sent back tonight and that's okay but i don't think its the right decision in this case.
I agree he has a good two way game and I hope he’s playing PK minutes for Hartford, as that’s an area he excels in. But he’s also a skilled player who can benefit a lot from playing on the PP, the confidence which comes along with all of that. I use Lorentz as an example of what a bottom 6 energy/checker looks like, as that was his upside even coming out of the OHL, where as I don’t really see Dylan being in that role at the next level, despite having some two way ability. I guess we’ll see how his usage progresses over the next couple of weeks. There’s definite benefits to both paths imo. Hopefully he’s given more opportunity over the next handful of games and see if he can take a step forward. I’ve just seen far too many young players graduate to the next level too soon and then it stunts their growth, but maybe that won’t be the case here.

Noddy

Jul 11, 2024
Torrance just doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to the General's, here is a stat:
Without Torrance playing a full game, Oshawa is 1-3-0-0 (shootout win in Sarnia)

With Torrance in the lineup, Gens are 4-2-1-0

Doesn’t get a lot of credit, but LT is a massive part to Oshawa’s success

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
WRT Roobroeck, I agree with @ScoutLife4

There are two main reasons for an OA to play in the OHL. First, they are unsigned professionally and they are still looking to give it another shot to see if they can snag a Pro contract. The second reason is because they are signed but they need to continue development at the OHL level to get them to a point where they can compete at the Pro Level.

Roobroeck isn’t going to develop further at the OHL level. His size is a serious advantage which allows him to not need to do the things he needs to learn to do agaisnt a more consistently bigger and faster league.

I know a lot of people are looking at the stats and suggesting he isn’t’ ready so he should come back for another year in the OHL. But, if he were to come back, all he would likely do is delay the exact scenario he is in now.

Roobroeck is a big kid that needs to find the right pace against faster players that are also markedly bigger. He can only do that by practicing at a faster place with bigger and stronger players and then applying that in game situations.

Personally, as a fan I would like to see him come back because I would like to see what Oshawa could do this year with him and Ritchie back. But, throwing my own personal wants to the curb, I understand that it is not likley he would return. If th rangers were so deep that they needed to toss him in the ECHL, then maybe but by all accounts, he is not in that type of situation. It is time for the Rangers to invest some time and effort into him. See what they come up with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad