Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Losing Roobroeck, Kumpulainen and Laxdal I don't think was in Tullio's/Hunt's plan. I wonder what move they will make to stay a top contender this year as they were initially hoping for.

Reactions: Knownothing

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Losing Roobroeck, Kumpulainen and Laxdal I don't think was in Tullio's/Hunt's plan. I wonder what move they will make to stay a top contender this year as they were initially hoping for.
3 huge losses in 1 off season is tough. With a new coach getting brought in the gens will have to take time to adapt to that system too. Good for Laxdal but horrible loss for the gens

Reactions: Whatanathol

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Hes one of the more physical players in the league already (Danford).

Is Kumpulainen coming back next year?

Im assuming if Roobroeck goes up the ahl the generals will move Torrance plus pick(s) for a better overage player anyway. I can’t foresee us having Torrance as an overage player in a go for it year.
your idea of physical and mine are different, and that is ok. Happy for the kid. Torrance is an excellent OA for you guys. Blocks shots, plays PP and PK. Teammates love him

• Haha
Reactions: Donnie740

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
3 huge losses in 1 off season is tough. With a new coach getting brought in the gens will have to take time to adapt to that system too. Good for Laxdal but horrible loss for the gens
I'm in the camp that especially at junior, the players are way more important than the coach, PBO being the perfect example as when they had the most skilled team in the league, their career .500 coach all of a sudden is a "great coach" and they win the whole OHL, but no doubt losing Laxdal sucks. I like they stayed in house rather than go get someone new. Their system last year clearly worked and the roster is almost all returning guys so stay with that. Seen people on here saying Torrance might be gone but I think bringing Svozil over means D'Amato is the OA who gets traded. I like D'Amato but they now have 6 above average OHL level D in Danford, Marrelli, Sandhu, Bedkowski, Svozil, D'Amato. And 3 more who are ready to play games and see if they can take a step in McDonell, Rodriguez, Blaseg. Could probably turn D'Amato into some picks and use those picks to get a D'Amato level OA but a forward

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'm in the camp that especially at junior, the players are way more important than the coach, PBO being the perfect example as when they had the most skilled team in the league, their career .500 coach all of a sudden is a "great coach" and they win the whole OHL, but no doubt losing Laxdal sucks. I like they stayed in house rather than go get someone new. Their system last year clearly worked and the roster is almost all returning guys so stay with that. Seen people on here saying Torrance might be gone but I think bringing Svozil over means D'Amato is the OA who gets traded. I like D'Amato but they now have 6 above average OHL level D in Danford, Marrelli, Sandhu, Bedkowski, Svozil, D'Amato. And 3 more who are ready to play games and see if they can take a step in McDonell, Rodriguez, Blaseg. Could probably turn D'Amato into some picks and use those picks to get a D'Amato level OA but a forward
Would make sense to get rid of d’amato I agree with the losses at forward. Still a really strong team going into the year but clearly the offence is the ‘?’

Oster won goalie of the year- yes he was crap in the finals but is without a doubt one of the best goalies in the league returning. Then you have the great defence. I don’t know about bedkowski being above average but I agree with the rest of the guys. Offensively Sennecke is going to have a big breakout year I expect 90+ points and Ritchie should be back and will hit 100- both may get a chance at team Canada so in early December the gens may struggle a bit without them but that could be good for younger guys like Griffin and smith.

Not sure what a package around d’amato would get but some team will want a good offensive d man- maybe Kingston could use that. Kingston is weak on the right side and needs an offensive d man so d’amato would probably fit like a glove but the only thing is both teams are in the same division so may not happen unless kingston is willing to overpay.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Would make sense to get rid of d’amato I agree with the losses at forward. Still a really strong team going into the year but clearly the offence is the ‘?’

Oster won goalie of the year- yes he was crap in the finals but is without a doubt one of the best goalies in the league returning. Then you have the great defence. I don’t know about bedkowski being above average but I agree with the rest of the guys. Offensively Sennecke is going to have a big breakout year I expect 90+ points and Ritchie should be back and will hit 100- both may get a chance at team Canada so in early December the gens may struggle a bit without them but that could be good for younger guys like Griffin and smith.

Not sure what a package around d’amato would get but some team will want a good offensive d man- maybe Kingston could use that. Kingston is weak on the right side and needs an offensive d man so d’amato would probably fit like a glove but the only thing is both teams are in the same division so may not happen unless kingston is willing to overpay.
Bedkowski is definitely an above average OHL D-man. Late birthday '06 too so hasn't even had his draft eligible season yet. With how big and mobile he is, if he has a good season, you could see him be a late round NHL pick next June, or at least invited to an NHL camp at minimum (i.e. Stevie Leskovar this year). He's a good middle pairing D on a good team.

Offence is definitely the question for this team but they have 2 NHL first rounder Fs who if they played a full season could both be 100 point guys, so the top end scoring will be there, it'll be the middle 6 that's the question, which is where adding an OA F would help. Gens are going to be tough to score on next year so even if they don't score a ton in the 1st half, could see them winning a bunch of 4-2, 3-1 games and then add offence at the deadline with Smith, Griffin, picks as some pretty big trade chips if they decide to go that route

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I got blasted on this board when I said D'Amato would the odd man out and the OA I would move. I was also ridiculed for wanting to keep Torrence lol

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

They’re definitely not trading an OA defenceman like D’Amato in a season with championship aspirations.

If you watched any of the playoff run last year after Punnett got hurt, Oshawa would shorten the bench to four defensemen - - D’Amato and Danford as the #1 pairing, Bedkowski and Marrelli as the #2 pairing.

It was obvious that they had little to no confidence in either Rodriguez or McDonnell, as neither saw hardly any ice time in the second half of the season. Even when they were down to just five defencemen after Punnett got hurt, Rodriguez would only get three of four shifts in the game.

I like Sandhu’s game, but he’s not at the level of Danford, Marrelli or D’Amato. As for Svozil, let’s wait and see how he performs at the OHL level before proclaiming him to be “above average”.

To reiterate what I’ve been explaining for the past six months - - it would be absolutely absurd to trade away your third best defenceman and first unit power play defenceman when you’re aiming for a championship season. Having three strong pairings is essential. I can’t stress this enough.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They’re definitely not trading an OA defenceman like D’Amato in a season with championship aspirations.
they’d atleast have to wait and see how svozil fits first if they did any moves. If there’s a huge skill drop off maybe they won’t but if they’re around the same skill level- playing the same type of game and 1 is an OA it makes sense to get rid of the OA and try and pick up someone to help your forward group. Or atleast upgrade from Torrance with a guy like wakely.
If you watched any of the playoff run last year after Punnett got hurt, Oshawa would shorten the bench to four defensemen - - D’Amato and Danford as the #1 pairing, Bedkowski and Marrelli as the #2 pairing.

It was obvious that they had little to no confidence in either Rodriguez or McDonnell, as neither saw hardly any ice time in the second half of the season. Even when they were down to just five defencemen after Punnett got hurt, Rodriguez would only get three of four shifts in the game.
I forgot about that as it’s been a while and it’s not my team but yes I did watch the playoffs and that is correct
I like Sandhu’s game, but he’s not at the level of Danford, Marrelli or D’Amato.
I agree. Sandhu from what I’ve seen is more of a defensive d man. Not a game changer but a good piece to have on the backend for depth
To reiterate what I’ve been explaining for the past six months - - it would be absolutely absurd to trade away your third best defenceman and first unit power play defenceman when you’re aiming for a championship season. Having three strong pairings is essential. I can’t stress this enough.
That is important but what about if svozil is as good or even better than d’amato? Wouldn’t it make sense to get a good pick package back and use it for one of the big needs of the team?

Bedkowski is definitely an above average OHL D-man. Late birthday '06 too so hasn't even had his draft eligible season yet. With how big and mobile he is, if he has a good season, you could see him be a late round NHL pick next June, or at least invited to an NHL camp at minimum (i.e. Stevie Leskovar this year). He's a good middle pairing D on a good team.
Didn’t know he was an 06. Yes keep him absolutely. Thought for whatever reason he was 04/05 it seems like he’s been on the team forever and I’m not sure why lol above average for an 06 d man for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Generalsupdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
they’d atleast have to wait and see how svozil fits first if they did any moves. If there’s a huge skill drop off maybe they won’t but if they’re around the same skill level- playing the same type of game and 1 is an OA it makes sense to get rid of the OA and try and pick up someone to help your forward group. Or atleast upgrade from Torrance with a guy like wakely.
Kingston needs Wakely. They are screwed if Oshawa ends up with Ritchie and Wakely at centre.
I forgot another that as it’s been a while and it’s not my team but yes I did watch the playoffs and that is correct

I agree. Sandhu from what I’ve seen is more of a defensive d man. Not a game changer but a good piece to have on the backend for depth

That is important but what about if svozil is as good or even better than d’amato? Wouldn’t it make sense to get a good pick package back and use it for one of the big needs of the team?

Didn’t know he was an 06. Yes keep him absolutely. Thought for whatever reason he was 04/05 it seems like he’s been on the team forever and I’m not sure why lol above average for an 06 d man for sure.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

I like Sandhu’s game, but he’s not at the level of Danford, Marrelli or D’Amato. As for Svozil, let’s wait and see how he performs at the OHL level before proclaiming him to be “above average”.

It appears you think people are saying D'Amato is bad. He's not, he's very good. What I'm saying is that even without D'Amato the Gens have a very good D-core. They don't have a great F core as their F depth is not good at all right now after losing Roobroeck/Kumpulainen. When you only get 3 OA's, you sometimes have to take from your strength to address your weakness. PP's will be run by Danford and Marrelli on D. PKs will be Sandhu-Danford and Marrelli-Bedkowski. D'Amato is expendable because of how solid the rest of the d-core is already.

Good D-men also historically cost less to get in trades than high end F's. So even if the Gens did trade D'Amato for picks then get an OA D'Amato (but forward) level player then there's a big injury or one of the d-men is underperforming, you can plug that hole in trade a lot easier than you can if it's a top 6 F you need to go get

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Kingston needs Wakely. They are screwed if Oshawa ends up with Ritchie and Wakely at centre.
Kingston going to add this year?? They weren't good last year and then lost 6 of their best players this off-season in Ludwinski, Schmidt, Holmes, Dubois, Hemstrom and Thibodeau

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kingston going to add this year?? They weren't good last year and then lost 6 of their best players this off-season in Ludwinski, Schmidt, Holmes, Dubois, Hemstrom and Thibodeau
Oshawa is losing Punnet, Lockhart, Rolofs, Roobroek, Kapulainen; and have less picks than all of Kingston, Brantford, Brampton, Sudbury, Barrie, …
Kingston will have a large number of 19 yr olds, three of those being 1st round picks. That team is almost certainly adding.
But it will be for naught if not acquiring a bonafide #1 all-purpose centre. Wakely is the guy imo.

Last edited:

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It appears you think people are saying D'Amato is bad. He's not, he's very good. What I'm saying is that even without D'Amato the Gens have a very good D-core. They don't have a great F core as their F depth is not good at all right now after losing Roobroeck/Kumpulainen. When you only get 3 OA's, you sometimes have to take from your strength to address your weakness. PP's will be run by Danford and Marrelli on D. PKs will be Sandhu-Danford and Marrelli-Bedkowski. D'Amato is expendable because of how solid the rest of the d-core is already.

Good D-men also historically cost less to get in trades than high end F's. So even if the Gens did trade D'Amato for picks then get an OA D'Amato (but forward) level player then there's a big injury or one of the d-men is underperforming, you can plug that hole in trade a lot easier than you can if it's a top 6 F you need to go get

It would make ZERO sense to trade away D’Amato for draft picks - - especially in a championship season.

A top 4 defenceman who logs a ton of PP time (D’Amato) is infinitely more valuable than a 3rd line winger (Torrance).

Proclaiming Svozil to be “an above average”
Defenceman already before even seeing him play a single game is absurdly optimistic.

Based on that assumption, Sinivouri can immediately step into a middle six forward role.

Many seem certain that Roobroeck will be in the AHL this year, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It would make ZERO sense to trade away D’Amato for draft picks - - especially in a championship season.

A top 4 defenceman who logs a ton of PP time (D’Amato) is infinitely more valuable than a 3rd line winger (Torrance).

Proclaiming Svozil to be “an above average”
Defenceman already before even seeing him play a single game is absurdly optimistic.

Based on that assumption, Sinivouri can immediately step into a middle six forward role.

Many seem certain that Roobroeck will be in the AHL this year, but I’ll believe that when I see it.
before they signed svozill they were calling around about 04 d

• Wow

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

I can’t see any circumstance where Kingston is buying this year. As I explained at the deadline last year, they should have been selling off Ludwinski and others then because it was obvious that they’d just be cannon fodder in the playoffs.

Trading away Thibodeau this summer is a pretty good indication that Kingston has given up before the season even starts. I know he got a lot of criticism from Kingston fans, but I would have gladly taken Thibodeau in Oshawa.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree.

As much as I’d like the fronts to go and get him- the last time they went out and got one of the best players in the league was 2017/18 I believe when they got Vilardi. I would be be very very happy if they make this move but without an 08 I don’t know if it happens

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree.

As much as I’d like the fronts to go and get him- the last time they went out and got one of the best players in the league was 2017/18 I believe when they got Vilardi. I would be be very very happy if they make this move but without an 08 I don’t know if it happens
Villardi was a star for Kingston. It was lucky timing for me to be in Kingston for the duration of that run. He was acquired with Day; both were 19, so a lot more costly than the 3-5 higher picks it will take to acquire Wakely.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Villardi was a star for Kingston. It was lucky timing for me to be in Kingston for the duration of that run. He was acquired with Day; both were 19, so a lot more costly than the 3-5 higher picks it will take to acquire Wakely.
Kingston is still paying off this trade... their own 2nds from this past draft and next draft, as well as their 2027 2nd were all originally moved in that trade...

The '28 2nd was conditional too but it doesn't seem to have transferred based on the Draft Pick DB.

I think this was the trade that spawned the limit on how far ahead you could trade picks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
what makes you think that North Bay will trade Wakely?
They need picks, they can’t really roster six OAs, and Wakely might be the best OA centre available this season.
And I’ll guess the battalion will not move Romani unless certain there is no OA season for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad