Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Hard to disagree with anything wrote. He should also have added that the Gens will have a team that could make it there on their own merit.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Hard to disagree with anything wrote. He should also have added that the Gens will have a team that could make it there on their own merit.

yeah that’s a big factor. Only thing working against the Gens (not sure if Soo has the same issue) is hotels. Although when I went to Quebec City in 2015, the team hotels were 35 minutes from the arena. If you’re extending to a 35 min radius there’s a ton around the TCC as well. That’s why they feel like they didn’t get it last time they bid

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
yeah that’s a big factor. Only thing working against the Gens (not sure if Soo has the same issue) is hotels. Although when I went to Quebec City in 2015, the team hotels were 35 minutes from the arena. If you’re extending to a 35 min radius there’s a ton around the TCC as well. That’s why they feel like they didn’t get it last time they bid
Big difference now are two hotels downtown plus the new renovation to the Marriott at Harmony and Bloor. As well you have the 3 hotels along the 401 that are 10 15 minutes away. Hotel stuff should not be an issue. Ya the hotel I stayed in Quebec City was 25 to 30 away as well. There is no issue with it being in Oshawa this time around unless Branch and Co wants it up North to make a statement. If Rocco and the group are not prepared after 2 previous bids they don’t deserve it. But I highly doubt it. Rocco has turned into a very good owner and while people will say it’s all for Ty I still believe he is a proud General and would like the city to get it. They were all taken back by the support in 2015 by the fans and the city.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Big difference now are two hotels downtown plus the new renovation to the Marriott at Harmony and Bloor. As well you have the 3 hotels along the 401 that are 10 15 minutes away. Hotel stuff should not be an issue. Ya the hotel I stayed in Quebec City was 25 to 30 away as well. There is no issue with it being in Oshawa this time around unless Branch and Co wants it up North to make a statement. If Rocco and the group are not prepared after 2 previous bids they don’t deserve it. But I highly doubt it. Rocco has turned into a very good owner and while people will say it’s all for Ty I still believe he is a proud General and would like the city to get it. They were all taken back by the support in 2015 by the fans and the city.

Rocco’s a businessman. No matter how much he loves his son he’s not putting multi millions of renovations into the arena and scoreboard and everything just so his kid can have fun for 4 years. He’s made it clear he’s trying to extend the lease of the TCC to 15 or 20 years. He’s waiting on an answer for that currently. Clearly he’s in this for the long haul and not looking to just get out when Ty is graduated

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
TCC website says it is closed until April 6, 2020, with the exception being ticket office.

This season is about to be written off.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Just curious, if the season were to be written off and scrapped completely. Playoffs, memorial cup and all, what does that do for next year's cup? Does Kelowna host next year and oshawa waits longer or does Kelowna get left in the dust?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Just curious, if the season were to be written off and scrapped completely. Playoffs, memorial cup and all, what does that do for next year's cup? Does Kelowna host next year and oshawa waits longer or does Kelowna get left in the dust?

Idk but Kelowna is a veteran team (and not even a very good one) and are set to lose their best 5-6 players after this year is over. So then hosting next year wouldn’t make much sense from an on-ice perspective

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
I suspect they would move on and pick the best of the two OHL bids.

Unfortunate for Kelowna's fans and the city economically, but sounds like they would not be able to ice a competitive team. Furthermore, the CHL and M Cup coverage would be played under the shadow and constant referencing to Covid 19 if Kelowna were to host, which the league would want to bury and move on from.

Teams like Ottawa and Ptbo are the ones who suffer this year. Gens trending upward while Petes will return to full on rebuild. Ottawa may be in the mix depending on who returns. I suspect they will not be as strong next year however.

Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I suspect they would move on and pick the best of the two OHL bids.

Unfortunate for Kelowna's fans and the city economically, but sounds like they would not be able to ice a competitive team. Furthermore, the CHL and M Cup coverage would be played under the shadow and constant referencing to Covid 19 if Kelowna were to host, which the league would want to bury and move on from.

Teams like Ottawa and Ptbo are the ones who suffer this year. Gens trending upward while Petes will return to full on rebuild. Ottawa may be in the mix depending on who returns. I suspect they will not be as strong next year however.

I could see them going to OHL for next year and giving it to Kelowna again in 3 years when its the WHL's turn again. Give them 3 years to be good again

Reactions: Whatanathol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Regular season is officially done. Really sucks for Kyle MacLean as he just needed to play in 4 of the final 7 games to finish with the 2nd most games played in Gens history. Now he'll finish 3rd, 3 behind Andy Andreoff

Gens will be taking on Barrie if the playoffs do happen

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Empty barns if the playoffs proceed? Almost a certainty if the playoffs are green lighted.

Better than nothing.

It sucks that odds are we're going to be robbed of a potential OSH vs PBO 2nd round matchup (if HAM could upset SBY in round 1) in which case I would be betting on the Gens to beat them for sure. Gens did take 3/4 post-trade deadline games against PBO. Would've been so nice to have them go all-in and get to be the ones to end their season

Reactions: OshawaFan2019

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
In the last week, Wisconsin has lost K'Andre Miller (signed pro), Alex Turcotte (signed pro) and now Sean Dhooghe (transferring schools). Wonder if Gens prospect Owen Lindmark is considering leaving for the OHL for a season or two before going pro himself with some many of their top guys leaving. He's a 5th round pick to the Florida Panthers but remains unsigned

Reactions: Whatanathol

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
In the last week, Wisconsin has lost K'Andre Miller (signed pro), Alex Turcotte (signed pro) and now Sean Dhooghe (transferring schools). Wonder if Gens prospect Owen Lindmark is considering leaving for the OHL for a season or two before going pro himself with some many of their top guys leaving. He's a 5th round pick to the Florida Panthers but remains unsigned

He’ll stay and centre Canfield rack up a bunch of points doing so and go pro

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
He’ll stay and centre Canfield rack up a bunch of points doing so and go pro

Hahaha an Owen Lindmark expert living in Peterborough? What are the odds!

Wisonson's 1C next year will be their 1C last year, which was Ty Pelton-Byce (was also Caufield's C last year). Tarek Baker (assistant captain) and Lindmark would be fighting for 2C/3C although Baker was higher in the lineup than Lindmark last year. Both Pelton-Byce and Baker were juniors last year and both will be back next year as seniors.

It's definitely something for Gens fans to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Bobby Orr's 72nd birthday today. Gens all-time leading D-man scorer and 10th leading scorer overall. 259 points in 159 games

Attachments

• Orr Gens.jpg
    Orr Gens.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad