Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

core33

Feb 22, 2015
The reality is when the playoffs come around the officiating is slightly different. the main reason for that is that teams tend to build a little hate for each other so some of the "antics" are let go and the players are free to extend the rules a little bit. That has always been the case.

That is why I referenced the 1997 Final. It was very similar. A lot of the interference and chippy play was not called. Oshawa was a bigger team and benefitted by the way the officials called the series. Now, Sudbury is getting that advantage, which IMO is always the case in the playoffs because teams and players are given a little more rope to work with. Again, Oshawa went into the Memorial Cup that year and played the exact same way and the QMJHL officials called all of it and the Generals were embarrassed. So, they changed their game the rest of the tournament and weren't as effective. If the officials would have called it the way the OHL officials called it, they would have run away with that tournament no doubt in my mind.

Now, we sit here and watch all the whining about officiating. Good teams adjust. This isn't the Finals, its the FIRST ROUND. Figure out how to play within the confines of playoff officiating. The officiating isn't BIASED. It is not like Sudbury is doing stuff and not getting called for it while Oshawa is doing the same things and being called for it. Adjust.

The reality is the Generals were playing slightly over their heads in the first half of the season. That is not a knock on the team

The reality is Peterborough, Mississauga, Hamilton, Kingston, and Ottawa are all better teams RIGHT NOW.

I don't come on "your" thread to disrespect. I like the Generals. I grew up a Generals fan. I camped out over night in 1986 for Memorial Cup tickets. And by camping out I mean we lined up inside the rink and payer Euchre all night until the box office opened. My favourite player growing up was Mitch Lamoroux. I used to stand outside the Bobby Orr lounge after games to get autographs as a kid. When I played street hockey and played goalie I was PEter Sidorkiewicz .

Going 2-1 in round robin and losing in OT in semis to B.Richie hat trick is embarrassing? There was talk he might not even be playing that game after allegely mocking the quebec fans and/or language earlier in the tourney.

Im not saying your knocking the Gens and most gens fans are well aware there are better teams in the east, and its going to be very difficult to beat Erie. But all this is common sense and been known all year. The Gens are built for the next 3 years really. But nothing is guarennteed you still have to develop and earn it.

Im not whining about the officiating, id feel the same way if we swept them or vise versa. Some of sudbury players are just not playing the right way, taunting the benches and standing right in front of the benches which also happened in Oshawa. Thats just doesnt belong in todays game.

1986? Guelph went that year and won it. Or did you have to get them that year for the 87 cup?

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Watched the game again. If hockey doesn't work out for the Gens players they can always move to Hollywood and compete for an Oscar. Shameful!

again what game are you watching, not saying Oshawa are angels but Sudbury deserves what they sow, Sudbury is the most penalized team in the ohl :amazed:
Sudbury are lucky that Oshawa has not capitalized on there PP if they could this series would of been over in 4 :nod:

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I get that we all have our own teams rosy glasses on. No team has played completely clean but the facts are Sudbury were one of the most penalized teams in the league this year. Nothing wrong with passion but they definitely cross that line a lot and play too much on the edge. If the generals could score at all this series would have been over in 4 for sure. The generals pp % is awful and giving up shorties shouldn't happen. They play better 5 on 5 so maybe sudbury realizes that and doesnt want to play 5 on 5.

I used to think Ottawa had the biggest homer announcers but last nights broadcast was incredible. I know the wolves are your team but the comments that would happen like give the refs their Oshawa Generals jerseys or multiple times asking the replay truck to show the replay again because they couldnt believe whats being called then they slow it down to realize oops the wolves player did do something then the next line is well its playoff hockey let them play and the refs are taking over the game.:handclap:

The series could still go 7 in my opinion but Oshawa now has given themselves the opportunity to win at home.

Looking forward to tonight.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
If this is how Burt plays after having the Wolves taunting the team in game 3, then I hope they do more of that. Kid had a fire lit under him last night. Like someone said earlier, good to see after the tough season he had.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I used to think Ottawa had the biggest homer announcers but last nights broadcast was incredible.

Actually the Ice Dogs radio crew ARE without a doubt the biggest homers out there. They all are really as most ride along on the team bus for the away games. But I think Niagara's TV crew are the best of them all. Love those guys.

Yes you are correct. Ed Hand is annoying....

eggo3018

Sep 22, 2016
Man i hope we beat Sudbury from Whitby living in Sudbury if i have to hear them complain about the officiating for any longer im going to snap. Going to the Sudbury arena is no comparison to Oshawa no ushers means 12 year olds running up and down the aisle in the middle of play. Any Gens fans making their way into town for Game 6?.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Actually the Ice Dogs radio crew ARE without a doubt the biggest homers out there. They all are really as most ride along on the team bus for the away games. But I think Niagara's TV crew are the best of them all. Love those guys.

for me the play by play guy for missy is brutal.. lose the announcer-guy- voice and just call the game haha

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

I love Ed Hand. Out of the blue.....SCORES! Get a kick out of him. That guy from Missy can get some kind of annoying. Beech is Beech, he ain't going to change now and yes he is a homer, deal with it.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Man i hope we beat Sudbury from Whitby living in Sudbury if i have to hear them complain about the officiating for any longer im going to snap. Going to the Sudbury arena is no comparison to Oshawa no ushers means 12 year olds running up and down the aisle in the middle of play. Any Gens fans making their way into town for Game 6?.

You could always move back to Whitby bud.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I love Ed Hand. Out of the blue.....SCORES! Get a kick out of him. That guy from Missy can get some kind of annoying. Beech is Beech, he ain't going to change now and yes he is a homer, deal with it.

I would just put on the radio guys when I lived in Ottawa. They've had a bunch over the years. Dave Schreiber to me was the very best of radio and it was always great when the CKDJ campus kids to broadcast the games as well.

Also not a fan of the London radio guy either.

As for TV the Mississauga telecast guy is as annoying a ****. I dunno but maybe it's his heavy preacher-like accent that makes my skin crawl as I almost want to watch the game with volume turned down.... Oh look they are showing the Steelheads/67's game tonight oh lovely!

The Oshawa tv guys are okay. Don't find them bad at all but then again those games are not shown on Rogers Toronto very often. Occasionally we get Missy and oddly enough London for whatever reason. I ****ing hate London! :laugh:

core33

Feb 22, 2015
i like burkholder hes a riot just says it,,oshawa is very good unbiased and petes guys are decent too

Oshawa has had great guys past and present, tv and radio. Some of the other around the league are down right brutal.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Gens very lucky to win this one. No finish by the Wolves. I like our chances Sunday. Two weak goals and a very opportunistic third one. Wolves pp killed them. Good work on the face offs by the Gens. Nothing wrong with our effort. Here's to Sunday where the rabbits foot just might fall out of you know where.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The Wolves style of play has been well documented all season. They led the league in PIM's and their coach said yesterday that they have to work on the disciplne issue. Once they figure out that they don't really scare any team they just might decide to play hockey. And who knows, maybe their skill level might work...maybe.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The Wolves style of play has been well documented all season. They led the league in PIM's and their coach said yesterday that they have to work on the disciplne issue. Once they figure out that they don't really scare any team they just might decide to play hockey. And who knows, maybe their skill level might work...maybe.

Ya but not tonight man, until that cheap shot. Did you watch the game? Capo with a stupid penalty but clean game other than that. Gives one hope that we can do away with the shenanigans going into next season.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It's best just to let the Wolves shoot themselves in the foot every time. Hopefully the Gens PP unit can make them pay.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

About 1.6 seconds on the clock, absolutely no reason Sanvido should even be considering finishing his hit. Good on Brassard for protecting himself

Thervguy

Oct 22, 2016
Sudbury prove they have no class!!

There you go. That crosscheck at the end of the game showed once and for all what bunch of *******s the Wolves are. Brutal. There should be a review buy the league to suspend this jerk.

Jackintheshwa

Jan 7, 2017
Yep I am done posting on this site. My posts have not been off base at all. Just because someone disagrees with my point of view is no reason to have my posts deleted.
Not going to be chastised by some moderator that is probably some 23 year old millennial sitting in his parents basement.

Go Gens Go and Good bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad