Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
*The Generals special teams are killing them. Ranked 13th on the power play and 14th in penalty killing. The Wolves constant shenanigans are giving them ample opportunity to take this series over but they are not taking advantage.

*The team sorely misses Vande Sompel quarterbacking the power play. They are a mess out there and typically don't even carry the play during the man advantage. They are having a great deal of trouble just gaining the zone while up a man. Commisso on the point during the power play needs to end ASAP.

*The Generals 3rd and 4th lines have clearly outplayed their top two lines in the losses and in general throughout the series. I'm wondering if it's time for a bit of a shake up. The Henderson-McShane-Commisso line has been particularly ineffective. I'd consider flip flopping Huether and Commisso or Manchurek and Henderson.

*William Ennis has quietly had a good series. He's become a steady presence out there. With five 2000s in the active line up the future is bright for this team.

*Jack Studnicka has been great over three games. Great to see the kid shining

*Dmitry Sokolov is one heck of a player. Minnesota got him in the seventh round of the draft?!? What a steal. The kid has it all.

*I give the Wolves all the credit in the world for being up 2-1 but they are a very dirty team. I am really sick and tired of all the stick work before, during and after the play. If the referees don't get a handle on this someone is going to get hurt. I also shook my head that the officials stood there and watched as Carson, Pilon, Yakimowicz and a few others stood by the Gens bench after the game was over running their mouths and taunting.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
*The Generals special teams are killing them. Ranked 13th on the power play and 14th in penalty killing. The Wolves constant shenanigans are giving them ample opportunity to take this series over but they are not taking advantage.

*The team sorely misses Vande Sompel quarterbacking the power play. They are a mess out there and typically don't even carry the play during the man advantage. They are having a great deal of trouble just gaining the zone while up a man. Commisso on the point during the power play needs to end ASAP.

*The Generals 3rd and 4th lines have clearly outplayed their top two lines in the losses and in general throughout the series. I'm wondering if it's time for a bit of a shake up. The Henderson-McShane-Commisso line has been particularly ineffective. I'd consider flip flopping Huether and Commisso or Manchurek and Henderson.

*William Ennis has quietly had a good series. He's become a steady presence out there. With five 2000s in the active line up the future is bright for this team.

*Jack Studnicka has been great over three games. Great to see the kid shining

*Dmitry Sokolov is one heck of a player. Minnesota got him in the seventh round of the draft?!? What a steal. The kid has it all.

*I give the Wolves all the credit in the world for being up 2-1 but they are a very dirty team. I am really sick and tired of all the stick work before, during and after the play. If the referees don't get a handle on this someone is going to get hurt. I also shook my head that the officials stood there and watched as Carson, Pilon, Yakimowicz and a few others stood by the Gens bench after the game was over running their mouths and taunting.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with your point about the team being dirty...I cannot objectively defend that especially when we lead the league in PMs and the Pilon twins are constantly Sean Avery-ing it up out there, but Carson and Yak usually are not like that, and the chirpfest is something that went on from both sides all game...starting with the first Gens goal when all 5 guys skated by and chirped the Wolves bench as their celebration. It's an intense series for sure, and I'm sure this goes back to the first two games in Oshawa (although I wan't there and I only caught the first period of game 2 on tv, so I cannot say that as an absolute certainty).

Carson's problem was with the one Gens player he was locked onto for the entire final minute of the game and the end game celebrations, however I can understand how it would look like he was chirping the whole bench.

Sokolov is a hell of a sniper, but still has serious issues on the defensive side of things and his skating, although improving, isn't even at an average level yet. 7th round was a bit low, but at best he's still no more than a third/fourth round talent

core33

Feb 22, 2015
And to the Sudbury fan saying Yak isnt like that.....he been that way since he joined the league, he isnt going to change. More and more nowadays i think it not only hurts your team, its hurts your chance as a pro hockey player. No team want a guy constantly in the box.

Very impressed with Ennis, grown leaps and bounds since first half of the season. Great to see him getting at least more of a chance to play since 3 d-men got traded. (Mvs, Robertson, Tempelton)

Last edited by a moderator:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
How so, hes bang on in everything he said.

And to the Sudbury fan saying Yak isnt like that.....he been that way since he joined the league, he isnt going to change. More and more nowadays i think it not only hurts your team, its hurts your chance as a pro hockey player. No team want a guy constantly in the box.

Very impressed with Ennis, grown leaps and bounds since first half of the season. Great to see him getting at least more of a chance to play since 3 d-men got traded. (Mvs, Robertson, Tempelton)

Where have you been? It's playoff hockey. What's the issue with getting under players skin. Tough up a bit my friend.

Perhaps Oshawa is more talented so a team needs an edge somewhere. That's sports. If you win the series who cares.

core33

Feb 22, 2015
Where have you been? It's playoff hockey. What's the issue with getting under players skin. Tough up a bit my friend.

Perhaps Oshawa is more talented so a team needs an edge somewhere. That's sports. If you win the series who cares.

Nothing wrong with gettin under players skin.....within the rules.

A guy like Cole Cassels got under players skins his last two years of junior but didnt have to play dirty to do it.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Nothing wrong with gettin under players skin.....within the rules.

A guy like Cole Cassels got under players skins his last two years of junior but didnt have to play dirty to do it.

That's why we have refs and penalties and power plays

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
McGrath is giving me deja vu to Jake Smith and those North Bay series from years past. He's stolen both wins for Sudbury so far.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
How so, hes bang on in everything he said.

I know Yak had disciplinary problems last year but he's almost cut his pims in half this season and if anything the knock on him is that he hasn't been playing with the flare and intensity he played with in London the past few years. I almost wonder if (perhaps even to your point) he's toned it down to try to impress the Blues, but I've been to 15 games this season now and he's never stood out like the Pilons or Pezzetta in that sense.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
McGrath is giving me deja vu to Jake Smith and those North Bay series from years past. He's stolen both wins for Sudbury so far.

Funny I don't see it that way. Game one maybe but he wasn't great in game two (one softie for sure) and he gave a softie last night as well. Not that the kid hasn't been doing excellent and I feel he can be a top goaltender in the league going forward. To me the Wolves were full marks for the win with a number of chances that were not converted. Also the refs didn't exactly do the Wolves any favours and the Gens have their special teams to blame more than anything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It sure is rich watching Generals fans whine about dirty playoff hockey. I remember back in 1997 when the Generals got away with everything against the 67's and won that series in an upset. Then they went to the Memorial Cup and played the same type of game and spent the entire game in the penalty box and lost 10-0.

DON'T GET BITTER, GET BETTER!

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
It sure is rich watching Generals fans whine about dirty playoff hockey. I remember back in 1997 when the Generals got away with everything against the 67's and won that series in an upset. Then they went to the Memorial Cup and played the same type of game and spent the entire game in the penalty box and lost 10-0.

Actually they had a 2-1 record in the round-robin. They did lose 8-0 to Hull in the round robin and lost 5-4 in overtime to Lethbridge in the semi-final. Hull won the final 5-1 over Lethbridge.

Funny that I don't remember the Oshawa-Ottawa series the same way.
:)

core33

Feb 22, 2015
Actually they had a 2-1 record in the round-robin. They did lose 8-0 to Hull in the round robin and lost 5-4 in overtime to Lethbridge in the semi-final. Hull won the final 5-1 over Lethbridge.

I agree, that series was tame. That series was not dirty, they ran interferance off the faceoffs as did the rest of the league especially in the attacking zone.

Oshawa had a bad schedule, they had to play the night before and had the least time off of all the teams between winning the league and going to the cup. Yes it was a bit of an upset, but anyone watching the Gens that year knew the team was super strong. The OA rule hurt them (only 2 allowed), it got changed the next year.....Nathan Perrott!! I believe the other leagues were allowed 3 at the time.

I wonder who really is the bitter one....(oh and congrats on '99, only winning one game in the 2nd round...in 2OT...at home)

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015

I didn't really see anyone "whining"...just calling a spade a spade. If you read the thread you will even see Sudbury fans agreeing with the fact the team is very dirty. I am all for spirited playoff hockey and this series has contained a lot of entertaining moments. I just hate the stick work after the play that happens virtually every stoppage and the unnecessary goading like happened when Wolves players stood in front of the Generals bench after the game was over taunting them (including Pilon showing Burt the "title belt"). By no means am I saying Oshawa is a bunch of saints. I have seen them yap the Wolves bench numerous times during the series. Robbie Burt said something to the bench at the last game in Oshawa that actually made Sanvido swipe at him from the bench with his stick. Clearly it wasn't, "Have a nice day!"

Sudbury has some talented players and can really play some hockey. They are only hurting their own cause with the monkey business because if the Generals power play gets going, it could cost them the series.

At the end of the day though, if the best you can come up with is, "remember 20 years ago when we lost", peppered with revisionist history then...I'd suggest you toddle on back to the Ottawa board and worry about your own team.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

I do. You bought the refs. Frustrating series. I had to go over to Hull and make sure you lost that game to Lethbridge the next week. :laugh: Anyway credit to you Oshawa guys for upsetting us back then. Some great battles back in the day. I think the 67's are still up on you Gennies though in overall series wins though...

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I agree, that series was tame. That series was not dirty, they ran interferance off the faceoffs as did the rest of the league especially in the attacking zone.

Oshawa had a bad schedule, they had to play the night before and had the least time off of all the teams between winning the league and going to the cup. Yes it was a bit of an upset, but anyone watching the Gens that year knew the team was super strong. The OA rule hurt them (only 2 allowed), it got changed the next year.....Nathan Perrott!! I believe the other leagues were allowed 3 at the time.

I wonder who really is the bitter one....(oh and congrats on '99, only winning one game in the 2nd round...in 2OT...at home)

Blah, blah, blah.... Those that have to make light of someone else's success is a sign of severe salt overdose! Ottawa was the best team in the Tournament beating Bathurst and Calgary twice!.Get over it! Since 1967 the Generals have won three Memorial Cups to Ottawa's 2. Small margin of difference. Oh yeah sorry about upsetting you in '89. That was a fun series! :sarcasm:

The Little General

Mar 30, 2017

You were lucky we did not sweep the series 4-0 ....Your 2 wins were in OT!
Side Bar: what did Kilrea ever do with that 3rd Cigar??

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
You were lucky we did not sweep the series 4-0 ....Your 2 wins were in OT!
Side Bar: what did Kilrea ever do with that 3rd Cigar??

So we are going to get into the coaches now are we? Really? Please let's not. I don't want to bring up Paul Theriault okay?

That series was rigged anyway, had Mr. Branch in your back pocket. The 67's were the CHL's number 1 ranked team the entire year so you must have forgotten. I'll take the 67's 7 playoff series victories head-to=head over your 4 wins anyday though... :naughty:

72, 81, 82, 84, 88, 89, and 2000

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I didn't really see anyone "whining"...just calling a spade a spade. If you read the thread you will even see Sudbury fans agreeing with the fact the team is very dirty. I am all for spirited playoff hockey and this series has contained a lot of entertaining moments. I just hate the stick work after the play that happens virtually every stoppage and the unnecessary goading like happened when Wolves players stood in front of the Generals bench after the game was over taunting them (including Pilon showing Burt the "title belt"). By no means am I saying Oshawa is a bunch of saints. I have seen them yap the Wolves bench numerous times during the series. Robbie Burt said something to the bench at the last game in Oshawa that actually made Sanvido swipe at him from the bench with his stick. Clearly it wasn't, "Have a nice day!"

Sudbury has some talented players and can really play some hockey. They are only hurting their own cause with the monkey business because if the Generals power play gets going, it could cost them the series.

At the end of the day though, if the best you can come up with is, "remember 20 years ago when we lost", peppered with revisionist history then...I'd suggest you toddle on back to the Ottawa board and worry about your own team.

The reality is when the playoffs come around the officiating is slightly different. the main reason for that is that teams tend to build a little hate for each other so some of the "antics" are let go and the players are free to extend the rules a little bit. That has always been the case.

That is why I referenced the 1997 Final. It was very similar. A lot of the interference and chippy play was not called. Oshawa was a bigger team and benefitted by the way the officials called the series. Now, Sudbury is getting that advantage, which IMO is always the case in the playoffs because teams and players are given a little more rope to work with. Again, Oshawa went into the Memorial Cup that year and played the exact same way and the QMJHL officials called all of it and the Generals were embarrassed. So, they changed their game the rest of the tournament and weren't as effective. If the officials would have called it the way the OHL officials called it, they would have run away with that tournament no doubt in my mind.

Now, we sit here and watch all the whining about officiating. Good teams adjust. This isn't the Finals, its the FIRST ROUND. Figure out how to play within the confines of playoff officiating. The officiating isn't BIASED. It is not like Sudbury is doing stuff and not getting called for it while Oshawa is doing the same things and being called for it. Adjust.

The reality is the Generals were playing slightly over their heads in the first half of the season. That is not a knock on the team, that is actually a compliment. The team managed to produce at a great rate compared to their team on paper. No one expected the Generals to be sitting in first place at the deadline. Then they make a couple seller moves and the team starts to play more to its real potential and the combination of those two things hurt the team.

The reality is Peterborough, Mississauga, Hamilton, Kingston, and Ottawa are all better teams RIGHT NOW. The way Sudbury is playing, they are probably a better team right now. Oshawa is slow team and will get out skated which puts them slightly behind the play and they commit penalties trying to slow the other team down. The oppositions sees that and continues to poke the bear. It is classic playoff hockey.

I don't come on "your" thread to disrespect. I like the Generals. I grew up a Generals fan. I camped out over night in 1986 for Memorial Cup tickets. And by camping out I mean we lined up inside the rink and payer Euchre all night until the box office opened. My favourite player growing up was Mitch Lamoroux. I used to stand outside the Bobby Orr lounge after games to get autographs as a kid. When I played street hockey and played goalie I was PEter Sidorkiewicz .

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
*Despite letting in a bit of a softie Jeremy Brodeur was amazing tonight. What a season he's had.

*It's been a long year for Robbie Burt between the two concussions and suspension. Great to see him having a solid playoffs.

*Best game of the playoffs for Dominic Commisso. Still dislike him on the point on the PP.

*Speaking of the power play...holy putrid, Batman! 3 for 27 and a shorthanded goal against.

*William Ennis is developing quickly. Another solid game.

*I need to know...is Gary Beech senile?!? That was one of the worst OHL broadcasts I've ever seen. I actually felt bad for Nick Liard. He had to constantly correct Beech all game long and at times stop him from stammering and mumbling.

*The Sudbury Wolves have to be one of the most undisciplined teams in recent memory. Absolutely idiotic penalties tonight by Jamieson, Pezzetta and Yakimowicz. Wow! And at the end of the game Levin decided he wanted to join and speared MacLean to end all hope. If (and this seems like a big if) the Generals ever find their stride on the PP this series will be over quickly. Too bad because the Wolves do have talent.

*I liked the line shake up tonight. Really seemed to help especially early and I saw big improvements from a lot of players.

*Hats off to the Antropov-MacLean-Burt line. Really solid series. Only line that didn't get juggled tonight

*I am jacked up for tomorrow night's game. Cannot wait! Generals fans...let's fill the TCC and get behind these guys.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
*Despite letting in a bit of a softie Jeremy Brodeur was amazing tonight. What a season he's had.

*It's been a long year for Robbie Burt between the two concussions and suspension. Great to see him having a solid playoffs.

*Best game of the playoffs for Dominic Commisso. Still dislike him on the point on the PP.

*Speaking of the power play...holy putrid, Batman! 3 for 27 and a shorthanded goal against.

*I need to know...is Gary Beech senile?!? That was one of the worst OHL broadcasts I've ever seen. I actually felt bad for Nick Liard. He had to constantly correct Beech all game long and at times stop him from stammering and mumbling.

*The Sudbury Wolves have to be one of the most undisciplined teams in recent memory. Absolutely idiotic penalties tonight by Jamieson, Pezzetta and Yakimowicz. Wow! And at the end of the game Levin decided he wanted to join and speared MacLean to end all hope. If (and this seems like a big if) the Generals ever find their stride on the PP this series will be over quickly. Too bad because the Wolves do have talent.

*I liked the line shake up tonight. Really seemed to help especially early and I saw big improvements from a lot of players.

*Hats off to the Antropov-MacLean-Burt line. Really solid series. Only line that didn't get juggled tonight

*I am jacked up for tomorrow night's game. Cannot wait! Generals fans...let's fill the TCC and get behind these guys.

Good points but GO WOLVES is the only thing I'd change. They won't be an easy bite to swallow. Good reasoned post though, although some Sudbury fans would never admit to the incredibly stupid play.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Gary Beech is indeed terrible, can't stand watching any games on TV because of how bad he is.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Watched the game again. If hockey doesn't work out for the Gens players they can always move to Hollywood and compete for an Oscar. Shameful!

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Watched the game again. If hockey doesn't work out for the Gens players they can always move to Hollywood and compete for an Oscar. Shameful!

I agree that the refereeing in this series has been particularly poor. Specifically games #1 and #4. If you are referring to Matt Brassard's theatrical reaction to the punch in front of the net then yes, Oscar worthy. I even fell for it until I saw the replay. Having said that Levin's Superman dive into Brodeur after being "pushed" was equally comical.

But, you have to still shake your head at Yakimowicz. You're on a 5-3. Why throw the punch? The Wolves players keep putting themselves in a place to get penalized. The referee had Brassard and Yakimowicz for offsetting minors. You'd still be up 5-3 but he throws the punch after the whistle any way.

Jamieson's instigator, Pezzetta repeatedly crosschecking Allen well after the play, Pilon punching Antropov on the ice after a solid hit, Yakimowicz's punch to Brassard. All penalties that could have been avoided but they just couldn't restrain themselves. These penalties all negated power play opportunities for Sudbury and/or put them a man down.

Darian Pilon, Levin, Pezzetta and Yakimowicz all have five penalties in four games (as does Brassard). That's not referees, that's undisciplined hockey. Fortunately for Sudbury the Generals power play has been so poor, and the Wolves penalty killing has been so good, or this series might be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad