Orr Vs Gretzky

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Just the FACT that we can have this argument where people are pretty close to being split down the middle on, when we're talking about a player that played 20 years vs a player that only played 9 and change only emphasizes just how good and supremely special Orr was!

Did Gretzky have the better career...yep.
Is Gretzky the better player...nope.

Playing less years increases the value of a hockey player?
At an age when Orr was completely out of the game Gretzky was still winning scoring titles.

And I did not say the difference between Gretzky and Lemieux was further than Orr and Coffey -- but Orr and Harvey, Shore, Kelly, Bourque, Lidstrom and Potvin.

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
And I did not say the difference between Gretzky and Lemieux was further than Orr and Coffey -- but Orr and Harvey, Shore, Kelly, Bourque, Lidstrom and Potvin.

1# Wayne Gretzky
2# Bobby Orr
3# Gordie Howe
4# Mario Lemieux
5# Maurice Richard
6# Doug Harvey
7# Jean Beliveau
8# Bobby Hull
9# Terry Sawchuk
10# Eddie Shore
11# Guy Lafleur
12# Mark Messier
13# Jacques Plante
14# Ray Bourque
15# Howie Morenz
16# Glenn Hall
17# Stan Mikita
18# Phil Esposito
19# Denis Potvin
#23 Red Kelly
#29 Paul Coffey

The experts seem to disagree with you by quite a bit.

Hey, I've said it numerous times now, I accept that Gretzky is considered #1 by 50ish %.
All you have to do is accept that I'm quite happy being in the other 40ish %

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Why do you keep saying these two?
Harvey is considered by many to be one of the greatest defensive Dman of all time and those same people have no problem saying Orr was up there with him.

Bourque...I love him, even as a Habs fan but dude....he was not on Orr's level defensively and especially not offensively.
You saying he was is just plain ignorant.

Orr is not on a level with Harvey, and Bourque was better defensively.

Consider coaches polls from the 1970s and 80s ( http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=680440 )

Bobby Orr was only voted as one of the Top 5 defensive defensemen once... Larry Robinson was voted in 3 years with Bill White, Dave Burrows, Borje Salming, Serge Savard were all voted in twice.

I do not hear all their names when being compared to Doug Harvey defensively.

Bourque also appears higher in coaches' polls for "best defensive defenseman" than Orr did.

Last edited:

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
1# Wayne Gretzky
2# Bobby Orr
3# Gordie Howe
4# Mario Lemieux
5# Maurice Richard
6# Doug Harvey
7# Jean Beliveau
8# Bobby Hull
9# Terry Sawchuk
10# Eddie Shore
11# Guy Lafleur
12# Mark Messier
13# Jacques Plante
14# Ray Bourque
15# Howie Morenz
16# Glenn Hall
17# Stan Mikita
18# Phil Esposito
19# Denis Potvin
#23 Red Kelly
#29 Paul Coffey

The experts seem to disagree with you by quite a bit.

Hey, I've said it numerous times now, I accept that Gretzky is considered #1 by 50ish %.
All you have to do is accept that I'm quite happy being in the other 40ish %

LOL at mark messier and guy lafluer being ranked above bourque, i'm glad this board ranks bourque much higher because he deserves it. Stan Mikita is better than them too.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Would like to add some points to this after reading this thread. Being a relatively newer hockey fan who saw neither in their prime (since 97 - following the NHL was sort of hard here before the internet age), I find this board fascinating to read about the game's history. While I can't add a lot of judgement on the qualities of the older players, there's a few points I feel I could make to add to the discussion:

On the point of Orr winning the Art Ross and Norris in the same season, this is obviously an incredible feat that cannot be understated. It can be used as an argument to Orr being a wonderfully complete player. Yet I don't think it's a good argument to state that it means Orr was greater than Gretzky. First of all, you can't fault a forward for not winning an award he is unable to win. Secondly, there's just no comparison or forwards. The Selke trophy has been mentioned, and how Art Ross + Selke would equal Orr's feat, but has not been done before. (Reading about Bobby Clarke suggests he could have come very close, had the Selke been created sooner, though he never managed to win the scoring race and topped out at #2) However, I don't really think this is a fair comparison. The Selke is supposed to go to the best defensive forward, whereas the Art Ross goes to what statistically is the best offensive forward. Hence winning both would require to be both the best defensive and offensive forward at the same time. On the other hand, the Norris is awarded to the best overall defenseman. Since the offensive compenent of the game does figure in this decision, this is not quite the same. Art Ross + Norris requires a defenseman to be the best scorer, and best overall defenseman, rather than also be the best defensive defenseman.

Not to take away anything from Bobby Orr, who managed to achieve amazing things, but I just don't think it's an overly valid argument or comparison. In general, stating that Orr or Gretzky was better because of some unique feat the other didn't do seems a bit pointless. Both were immense players who did things nobody ever did before, and in many cases did not since. Orr did things Gretzky didn't do (and nobody else did), Gretzky also did some 61 things nobody else ever did.

Statistics always have to be seen in context, I agree with that. I'll also admit that I am fairly skeptical of adjusted stats, since while they might give ballpark figures here and there, they will invariably fail to take into account many factors, are highly susceptible to agendas, and may treat statistical outliers as a product of the era, rather than greatness. With that out of the way, some things to keep in mind when making the point above:
  • One of the posters here recently did some research and found that the portion of the scoring done by the top players in the 80s was relatively low compared to other eras. In other words, a lot of the beneficiaries of the extra scoring were the more average players, not the superstars. This does not mean the stars did not score more than they would have done during other decades and eras, but rather that the stars scoring did not go up by for example the 24% scoring difference you are suggesting, and just adjusting Orr's stats like this is not a valid concept.
  • Orr's Bruins were an extremely high-scoring team, which at times defeated the competition in scoring categories by a greater margin than Gretzky's Oilers. Both teams were extremely high scoring, far above the average of their time. Using averages to then analyze the performances of statistical outliers seems a bad idea.
  • To highlight my first point, consider the scoring leaders between 1970 (Orr's first big offensive season) and 1990. Since they are generally considered 'freaks of nature', I left out Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, to see how the 'normal' superstars did:

69-70: Phil Esposito, 99 (126 the year before)
    70-71: Phil Esposito, 152
    71-72: Phil Esposito, 133
    72-73: Phil Esposito, 130
    73-74: Phil Esposito, 145
    74-75: Phil Esposito, 127
    75-76: Guy Lafleur, 125
    76-77: Guy Lafleur, 136
    77-78: Guy Lafleur, 132
    78-79: Bryan Trottier, 134
    79-80: Marcel Dionne, 137
    80-81: Marcel Dionne, 135
    81-82: Mike Bossy, 147
    82-83: Peter Stastny, 124
    83-84: Paul Coffey, 126
    84-85: Jari Kurri, 135
    85-86: Paul Coffey, 138
    86-87: Jari Kurri, 108
    87-88: Denis Savard, 131
    88-89: Steve Yzerman, 155
    89-90: Mark Messier, 129

I'm not really in the mood to run ANOVA checks on those numbers to look for significance, but looking at that list suggests to me that the superstars not called Mario, Wayne or Bobby did not score significantly more during the 80s than during the 70s. (Another funny side product of this list is the suggestion that if not for Lemieux and Gretzky, Paul Coffey could have had 2 Art Ross trophies. Though I'll have to add the disclaimer that Coffey likely has less points without Gretzky, and was no Orr defensively from what I understand)
  • One thing one might argue from the above is that a lot of Esposito's stats were partially thanks to Orr. There is some merit to this, though on the other hand I doubt Bobby Orr's stats suffered from playing with Esposito either. (even if superstars typically will get their points despite the players they play with, as has been shown numerous times on this forum) Somewhat of a similar argument could be made for some of the Oilers appearing on this list. However I think the best conclusion which can be drawn from these statistics and the dominance of either team in total scoring and scoring leaders, is that these teams were exceptionally powerful offensive teams, which you cannot really compare or analyze using average statistics from an era. (Which is not to say scoring might be affected by an era, but to me analyzing an anomaly with the use of averages seems a faulty concept.)

In closing, I've seen a lot of arguments of Orr as a complete player being the main reason to be greater than Gretzky. Being a complete player is definitely a great asset to a team, but it's not the only way to win. Orr might have been great in more areas of the game than Gretzky, but on the other hand it seems Gretzky's dominance on offense exceeds any of Orr's individual dominances. In the end both were great players, and Orr's completeness is an admirable thing. But equaling being more complete with being greater is in my view not really a proper argument, since extreme dominance in less areas is another way to win, especially in a team game. In the end, both players managed to do this, leading their teams to multiple championships.

And finally, as I already indicated in my preamble, I can only acknowledge that both individuals were amazing players which are only rarely seen. I cannot make any judgement on who was the greater, but did want to pitch in with some points about the arguments some posters are trying to use to elevate one above the other.

You have made some interesting observations, but I respectfully disagree with your overall conlusions.

Statistics are great, and as you point out, can be used to further an agenda. What's the old saying... there are lies, damned lies, and statistics?

The reason I brought up the statistical argument in the first place was that when people talk about Gretzky, they always point out his stats. Always. Just look at the last couple of pages on this thread, and you can see what I'm talking about. But as one who lived through and witnessed both of their careers, I can tell you one thing: The difference between the style of hockey played in the first half of the 70s when Orr played, and the 80s when Gretzky was destroying records, was like night and day.

By comparing their numbers in the context of league-wide goals-per-game during their respective eras (which was 24% higher in the 80s), I was attempting to "level the playing field". Plus, using scoring stats alone as a way to compare player (a) who is a forward, with player (b) who is a defenceman, is just plain silly to begin with. The fact remains that Orr played a much more demanding position, based in the defensive zone, in an era where goals were harder to come by. Despite this, Gretzky still only outscored him by approximately a 3:2 ratio during their best years. That alone should tell us something about what an incredible offensive talent Orr was.

Back to your numbers:

You excluded Orr and Gretzky-fair enough, but also Lemieux. Then you included Esposito, who was the prime beneficiary of Orr's creative genius. Look at what happened to Phil when he left Boston (and Orr):
73-74 (Bos) 68G, 77A, 145Pts
74-75 (Bos) 61G, 66A, 127Pts
---traded---
75-76 (NYR) 29G, 38A, 67Pts (over 62 games)
76-77 (NYR) 34G, 46A, 80Pts
77-78 (NYR) 38G, 43A, 81Pts
That's a sudden, dramatic drop in production. I wonder why...

Let's face it. Orr and Gretzky were both in the genius class when it came to generating offense, and anyone playing with either of them was going to see their numbers go up substantially. So what I've done here is to list the 100 point players from Orr's post-expansion days, and from Gretzky's peak years in the 80s, excluding them and their teammates. The result is eye-opening:

Orr's era:
67-68: none
68-69: Hull 107, Howe 103
69-70: none
70-71: none
71-72: Ratelle 109, Hadfield 106
72-73: Clarke 104, MacLeish 100
73-74: none
74-75: Dionne 121, Lafleur 119, P Mahovlich 117, Clarke 116, Robert 100

Gretzky's era with Oilers:
79-80: Dionne 137, Lafleur 125, Perreault 106, Rogers 105, Trottier 104, Stoughton 100
80-81: Dionne 135, Nilsson 131, Bossy 119, Taylor 112, Stastny 109, Simmer 105 (in 65 games), Rogers 105, Federko 104, Trottier 103, Middleton 103, J. Richard 103
81-82: Bossy 147, Stastny 139, Maruk 136, Trottier 129, Savard 119, Dionne 117, Bobby Smith 114, Ciccarelli 106, Taylor 106, Hawerchuk 103, Rogers 103
82-83: Stastny 124, Savard 120, Bossy 118, Pederson 107, Dionne 107, Goulet 105, Nilsson 104,
83-84: Goulet 121, Stastny 119, Bossy 118, Pederson, 116, Trottier 111, Federko 107, Middleton 105, Hawerchuk 102
84-85: Hawerchuk 130, Dionne 126, Bossy 117, Ogrodnick 105, Savard 105, Federko 103, Gartner 102, B. Sutter 102, Paul MacLean 101
85-86: Lemieux 141, Bossy 123, Stastny 122, Savard 116, Naslund 110, Hawerchuk 105, Broten 105, Goulet 104, Federko 102, Tonelli 100
86-87: Lemieux 107, Gilmour 105, Ciccarelli 103, Goulet 100, Hawerchuk 100
87-88: Lemieux 168, Savard 131, Hawerchuk 121, Robitaille 111, Stastny 111, Carson 107, Loob 106, Goulet 106, Bullard 103, Yzerman 102

Other than by Orr and his teammates, the 100 point plateau was reached just 11 times over 8 years.
Aside from Gretzky and his teammates, the 100 point mark was reached an incredible 77 times over 9 years.

Those mind boggling numbers should open anyone's eyes to the huge difference between the style of game played during Orr's era and Gretzky's. In the 80s, it was all offense, offense, offense.

Now please, tell me it wasn't a hell of a lot easier to score during the 80s than the early 70s. In this light, Orr scoring 139 points as a defenseman in the tighter defensive hockey of '71 is every bit as amazing as Gretzky, a centre, getting 215 points in the wide-open game of '85-86.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Besides, Gretzky trounces Orr in the "no one comes close" argument...

Lemieux never scored more than 200, Gretzky did it 4 times and scored over 210 twice.

I am on the gretzky side but this is far from convincing. Gretzky only ever scored 7.5% more points in a season than anyone else (Lemieux) did. When stated that way, it's not that special.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
LOL at mark messier and guy lafluer being ranked above bourque, i'm glad this board ranks bourque much higher because he deserves it. Stan Mikita is better than them too.

That list was published in 1998 and put together the year before - before Messier's Vancouver years and before Bourque was a 1st team All-Star and won a Cup in Colorado.

habsjunkie2*

No, not at all.
It's simply a testament of just how good Orr was.
It hurts Orr from unanimously being #1.

So far I haven't found a post in this topic I agree with you on. No one is unanimously gonna take over someone who has them beat by close to 2000 points. You can speculate all you want. It's always what ifs and this could a happen non sense when people debate Wayne isn't the greatest.

Waynes actually done all these things, there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I am on the gretzky side but this is far from convincing. Gretzky only ever scored 7.5% more points in a season than anyone else (Lemieux) did. When stated that way, it's not that special.

Is there really an argument that having one monster year and coming close to scoring 200 points once is 'almost' as impressive as actually scoring more, four times?

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
So far I haven't found a post in this topic I agree with you on. No one is unanimously gonna take over someone who has them beat by close to 2000 points. You can speculate all you want. It's always what ifs and this could a happen non sense when people debate Wayne isn't the greatest.

Waynes actually done all these things, there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda.

You don't have to agree with me, I could care less.
The fact still remains that your 1600 game/2850 point guy continues to repeatedly only just edge out the 650 game/900 point guy in any vote or poll that is presented here or any where else.
Don't suppose there might be some reason for that heh.

I'll tell you what is in the minority though...people that say it's not close between them, in other words, your opinion :sarcasm:

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
The fact still remains that your 1600 game/2850 point guy continues to repeatedly only just edge out the 650 game/900 point guy in any vote or poll that is presented here or any where else.

I'll tell you what is in the minority though...people that say it's not close between them, in other words, your opinion :sarcasm:

I agree there is certainly that conveying viewpoint, though I believe it is more closer to 65% Gretzky and 35% Orr, but I think it is worth considering that Gretzky should be an even more unanimous choice.

We do not consider Lindros better than Messier, do we? Yet at their absolute best Lindros was arguably the better player.

habsjunkie2*

Obviously I exaggerated the not even close claim, but that was no different than you saying if bla bla bla would of happened Orr would have been unanimously number 1, but at least you agreed that he continues to repeatedly beat out your guy by every poll taken here or anywhere else. What could of been heh?

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I agree there is certainly that conveying viewpoint, though I believe it is more closer to 65% Gretzky and 35% Orr, but I think it is worth considering that Gretzky should be an even more unanimous choice.

We do not consider Lindros better than Messier, do we? Yet at their absolute best Lindros was arguably the better player.

Messier's 1987, 1990 and 1992 seasons compare just fine with lindros's best years.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Messier's 1987, 1990 and 1992 seasons compare just fine with lindros's best years.

I don't know, Lindros at his best, IMO, made Messier look like a sick school girl, but it was brief.

But fine, use another -- who out there thinks Fedorov or Forsberg are better than Sakic? Or Yzerman better than Jagr?

Seanconn*

I don't know, Lindros at his best, IMO, made Messier look like a sick school girl, but it was brief.

But fine, use another -- who out there thinks Fedorov or Forsberg are better than Sakic? Or Yzerman better than Jagr?

yzerman better than jagr ... :amazed:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

To be fair it's more along the lines of 40% Gretzky, 30% Orr, 20% Howe, 5% Lemieux and 5% to various others like Richard, Harvey, Beliveau ect ect.

Obviously I exaggerated the not even close claim, but that was no different than you saying if bla bla bla would of happened Orr would have been unanimously number 1, but at least you agreed that he continues to repeatedly beat out your guy by every poll taken here or anywhere else. What could of been heh?

Dude!!!
I have never once said that Orr beats Gretzky in any of these polls or votes. All I have said is that I will be one of the many voting for Orr.
Again, the only time I get pissy is when people insist on saying "it isn't close" as I have already mentioned, I find it ignorant and disrespectful.

I am well aware that Gretzky was almost inhuman in the offensive zone with precognitive awareness but the dominance Orr maintained on the entire ice will always put him ahead in my eyes.
Maybe it's the goalie in me but players that are willing to sacrifice themselves and play a high level of defense will always get higher marks in my books.

Last edited:

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I typically value defense more than most, but ultimately offense is simply more valuable than defense in hockey for the elementary reason that you can score an unlimited amount of goals and defense can not defend past 0, which can still be a tie.

It's why owners and GMs have always paid more for the best offensive players over the best defensive players. It's just the nature of the game - to score more than your opponent.

Orr was not even close to being the top offensive player of all-time, and be wasn't even really close to being the best defensive player of all-time.

Gretzky is unanimously the best at the absolute most important aspect of the game - scoring.

Maybe Orr would beat Gretzky in a one-on-one game but a team of Gretzky's and Harveys would destroy a team of Orrs.

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Orr was not even close to being the top offensive player of all-time, and be wasn't even really close to being the best defensive player of all-time.

Listen man, you really have to stop using the not even close bull****, seriously.
Considering Orr is indeed unanimously considered the best offensive Dman to ever play the game and that only Gretzky and Lemieux are considered better in this regard, your "isn't even close" **** simply doesn't fly.
No, Orr was not the very best defensively but he was damned good and quite capable of dominating the defensive side of the game.
Just because he couldn't dominate to the same degree as Harvey doesn't mean it still wasn't dominant.
The fact still remains that no player in history has dominated the game on both sides of the puck at the same time to the degree Orr did.

Orr's on ice goals for to goals against ratio is absolutely ridiculous and so far ahead of the next best it's not even funny.
Even when you only use players best 10 years to compare, it's still a ridiculous margin.

Gretzky is unanimously the best at the absolute most important aspect of the game - scoring more than your opponent.

I agree but you have to agree it's only half the game.

RD55

Aug 13, 2010
Pyongyang
Gretzky is all time great don't get me wrong, but Bobby Orr revolutionized the defense position and he had all his greatness within a shortened career (Boston years only, not much was done in Chicago) but he showed defensemen can score too and just wowed everyone day in day out during his heyday, while it is close, im gonna have to give the edge to Orr because he was revolutionary, while Gretzky also in a way is too, there have been high scoring forwards throughout the game that have won cups, but Orr, he changed the way defensemen play forever if u ask me

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Again, the only time I get pissy is when people insist on saying "it isn't close" as I have already mentioned, I find it ignorant and disrespectful.

I wouldn't be surprised if people feel the same when you say that had it not been for Orr's injury, he would have been a clear unanimous choice.

Misrepresenting Gretzky as 1600/2850 point man starts to paint yourself into a corner as well (he played over 100 games less than 1600).

I doubt that people would scoff at Gretzky's greatness if he was "only" a 630 game/1520 point guy

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Listen man, you really have to stop using the not even close bull****, seriously.
Considering Orr is indeed unanimously considered the best offensive Dman to ever play the game and that only Gretzky and Lemieux are considered better in this regard, your "isn't even close" **** simply doesn't fly.
You misunderstood me again -- Gretzky was the best offensive player, period.... Orr was not even close. He may have been the best offensive defenseman ever, but he was utterly trounced by Gretzky in offense, and by several other players.

No, Orr was not the very best defensively but he was damned good and quite capable of dominating the defensive side of the game.
Just because he couldn't dominate to the same degree as Harvey doesn't mean it still wasn't dominant.
The fact still remains that no player in history has dominated the game on both sides of the puck at the same time to the degree Orr did.
Precisely because Orr never dominated the game defensively like Harvey is why Harvey was better defensively.... it doesn't mean Orr was not good or even great, defensively, but he was never the best, like Gretzky.

Datsyuk dominates both sides of the ice to a greater degree than anyone in the NHL... does that mean he is better than Crosby and Ovechkin?

Orr's on ice goals for to goals against ratio is absolutely ridiculous and so far ahead of the next best it's not even funny.
Even when you only use players best 10 years to compare, it's still a ridiculous margin.
I agree, and it's why I will forever rank Orr higher than Lemeiuex... but not even the best defense in the world is worth a player literally scoring 60-90 pts extra every single year during the regular season and 20 more points in the playoffs -- and still scoring 120-160 pts in seasons after the other was pretty much out of the game.

I agree but you have to agree it's only half the game.
No, offense is worth more than 50% of the game.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Gretzky is all time great don't get me wrong, but Bobby Orr revolutionized the defense position and he had all his greatness within a shortened career (Boston years only, not much was done in Chicago) but he showed defensemen can score too and just wowed everyone day in day out during his heyday, while it is close, im gonna have to give the edge to Orr because he was revolutionary, while Gretzky also in a way is too, there have been high scoring forwards throughout the game that have won cups, but Orr, he changed the way defensemen play forever if u ask me

I'll assume you never saw Red Kelly or Eddie Shore play --- I have to imagine a defenseman scoring in the Top 10 of the league consistutes as "scoring". There has never been a scorer even close to the magnitude of Gretzky's peak and prime (4 200+ pt seasons and 14 120+ seasons), while only Howe can argue career.

How many defensemen play like Orr nowadays?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
You misunderstood me again -- Gretzky was the best offensive player, period.... Orr was not even close. He may have been the best offensive defenseman ever, but he was utterly trounced by Gretzky in offense, and by several other players.

Use the "not even close" **** again and you're getting ignored.
Like what part of Orr was a Dman and Gretzky was a center do you not understand here.
Taking a dman and a forward of equal offensive skill the Dman should roughly be about 2/3's the production of a forward due to the nature of the position.
Also, Orr's TWO Art Ross's as a Dman says he deserves to be in Gretzky's and Mario's class.
On top of this, any freaking person that saw both play will tell you in a heartbeat that while Gretzky was better offensively, Orr was not that far behind.

Precisely because Orr never dominated the game defensively like Harvey is why Harvey was better defensively.... it doesn't mean Orr was not good or even great, defensively, but he was never the best, like Gretzky.

Orr was the best though, he was the very best at playing offense and defense at the same time, something you continually fail to acknowledge.

Datsyuk dominates both sides of the ice to a greater degree than anyone in the NHL... does that mean he is better than Crosby and Ovechkin?
As good a 2-way player as Dats is, he is not even in the same area code as Orr in that regard.

I agree, and it's why I will forever rank Orr higher than Lemeiuex... but not even the best defense in the world is worth a player literally scoring 60-90 pts extra every single year during the regular season and 20 more points in the playoffs -- and still scoring 120-160 pts in seasons after the other was pretty much out of the game.

Right, so you would rather have the player that gets 200 points but also allows 130 over the player that scores 140 points but only allows 60....gotcha :sarcasm:

Look man, it's pretty damned evident to me that you never saw Orr play because if you did, I guarantee you none of this "not even close" crap would be mentioned.

I'm pretty much done here, I mean we're talking about Orr for pete's sake, the universally picked second best player and best Dman in history and somehow he's not even close.

I think you're just being ignorant and naive at this point to be honest.

How many defensemen play like Orr nowadays?

No one because no one ever has except Orr himself!!!
This is the single biggest thing you have failed to understand throughout this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad