Orr Vs Gretzky

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Clarke was 28yrs old when the trophy was first awarded, older players than this have one the Selke since its inception.

He was always an unbelievable, freakish, fantastic offensive player. The best ever in the offensive zone. Of this, I will not argue ... 894 goals, 1963 assists smacks me in the face if I try. Yet, he was also on the ice for 2285 goals against. He was on the ice for more goals against than any player in history. Why isn't this discussed? This isn't a "what if", this is hockey fact, and may speak to some deficiencies in Gretzky's defensive game. If one is to argue for the longevity argument, he should also point out that this longevity came with a cost, and the cost of filling the seats was deemed equitable.

Early sixties and remember watching Howe and Don Awrey (Bruin's Defenseman) going at it and remember being unimpressed.

Being on the ice for that many goals against isn't really a big deal, IMO. He has the best +/- of any forward in history, so obviously he was still strong there. So why does he have so many goals against? Well, he played for 20 years, was 1st team PK for most of that time, and played in a high scoring era on a team that didn't care about defense. All the same reasons people say his scoring was inflated are the same reasons his goals against were inflated too.

The problem by going with goals against is that it punishes him for being on the 1st team PK. You're basically saying "Gretzky would have been better defensively if he hadn't been so good at penalty killing," which clearly makes no sense.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
See, this sort of posting is exactly why dialogue is near impossible.

To point out the lack or deficiencies in another's game is not to suggest that unmentionables are on par with Gretzky.

No what they were attempting to point out is that Gretzky has other abilities that far outweigh those "deficiencies" you mentioned.

85highlander

Apr 2, 2007
You're not getting anywhere trying to tear down Wayne Gretzky to promote Orr.

You say that useless stuff and I say:

Most shorthanded goals in NHL history.

Highest career +/- of any forward in NHL history.

Most playoff game winning goals in NHL history.

Tearing down? Who's tearing down? This sort of response show's me that you are unwilling to acknowledge certain deficiencies in Gretzky's game. This does not take away from his impressive offensive credentials.

85highlander

Apr 2, 2007
No what they were attempting to point out is that Gretzky has other abilities that far outweigh those "deficiencies" you mentioned.

Let me ask you, what player, Orr or Gretzky, had less deficiencies in their game. Not career, in their game...?

Do you believe Gretzky had any deficiencies?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Tearing down? Who's tearing down? This sort of response show's me that you are unwilling to acknowledge certain deficiencies in Gretzky's game. This does not take away from his impressive offensive credentials.

There were no deficiencies in Gretzky's game. All the things that you mentioned are not required to win hockey games. None of us will ever completely understand the game Gretzky was playing.. it was above the understanding of even the most studious of hockey minds let alone people arguing on this forum.

He played the way he did for two reasons:

1) For virtually his entire hockey career he was younger and smaller than the players he played against. So he adapted a style of play that maximized his effectiveness regardless of the fact he was smaller and generally weaker than his competition physically.

2) He was more valuable on the ice than in the box for taking dumb penalties and he made teams pay on the SCOREBOARD not with his knuckles. At the end of the day the scoreboard is what matters.

He is a winner pure and simple. You pointing out those things as deficiencies is as silly as me saying that Bobby Orr playing so recklessly was a deficiency that cost him a full career. The fact is that is just the way they learned to play and the way they did play.

popculturereference

Feb 1, 2009
I can't find the exact post, but someone was going on about how Orr was the fourth highest scoring PPG player of all-time. Which is true, but of course this is going to reflect favourably upon a guy who only played half the career that others did. So, I decided to take players first nine seasons (just so Orr's last three wouldn't be counted) and see how he stacks up.

He still does incredibly well, which was to be expected:
1. Gretzky: 2.40 (Gretzky was getting 1.56 assists per game, or higher then everyone's PPG except for Lemieux.)
2. Lemieux: 2.03
3. Bossy: 1.53
4. Stastny: 1.46
5. Kurri: 1.41
6. Orr: 1.40
7. Trottier: 1.40
8. Lafleur: 1.39
9. Savard: 1.38
10. Yzerman: 1.34
note: I didn't include players who played <500.

What I am trying to show is how adding another eleven seasons to Gretzky's career hurts him when you're talking about PPG. Which should be apparent to everyone.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I'm still trying to get over people saying that winning the Norris and Art Ross at the same time is overrated.
Then I hear....."Well if he won the Art Ross, then of course he's going to win the Norris"....ummmm.....a Dman won the Art Ross TWICE.

On top of this apparently every record Orr set has been broken or close to being broken....funny then, that I don't seem to recall any Dman even coming remotely close to taking home an Art Ross even once, let alone twice.

Also, just because a Dman puts up crazy points doesn't mean he's going to win the Norris. Coffey put up 126 points in 83/84 (the third most by a Dman in NHL history at the time btw) and failed to win it.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Also, just because a Dman puts up crazy points doesn't mean he's going to win the Norris. Coffey put up 126 points in 83/84 (the third most by a Dman in NHL history at the time btw) and failed to win it.

Coffey was also on track to beat Orr's 139 points in a season but got into Sather's doghouse.

He still wouldn't have won the Art Ross though because of that pesky Gretzky!

And just for the record.. he should have won the Norris that year imo.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Coffey was also on track to beat Orr's 139 points in a season but got into Sather's doghouse.

He still wouldn't have won the Art Ross though because of that pesky Gretzky!

And just for the record.. he should have won the Norris that year imo.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda....and Orr should of won the Hart at least two more times but he didn't, **** happens.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Really, it's the only argument against Orr imo.

It is definitely the main one.

We never got to see if he fell off a cliff in his decline like Trottier or had a slow and gradual decline as he got older.

Anyways they are both great and almost interchangeably #1 or #2 on pretty much everyone's list so.. this could go on for 100 more pages and there is just nothing definitive to convince people to change one way or the other.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

We never got to see if he fell off a cliff in his decline like Trottier or had a slow and gradual decline as he got older.

Anyways they are both great and almost interchangeably #1 or #2 on pretty much everyone's list so.. this could go on for 100 more pages and there is just nothing definitive to convince people to change one way or the other.

Orr to many, was the greatest combination of talent, skill, heart, toughness, speed and awareness that has ever laced up the blades and a shortened career is not going to change that.

You're right, no one is going to "win" this, no one is going to change their minds.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Orr's style simply leads to injuries, Gretzky is much more effective player. On average, he will play more games every single year. Orr has no case against Gretzky unless you focus on peak only IMHO.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
I can't find the exact post, but someone was going on about how Orr was the fourth highest scoring PPG player of all-time. Which is true, but of course this is going to reflect favourably upon a guy who only played half the career that others did. So, I decided to take players first nine seasons (just so Orr's last three wouldn't be counted) and see how he stacks up.

He still does incredibly well, which was to be expected:
1. Gretzky: 2.40 (Gretzky was getting 1.56 assists per game, or higher then everyone's PPG except for Lemieux.)
2. Lemieux: 2.03
3. Bossy: 1.53
4. Stastny: 1.46
5. Kurri: 1.41
6. Orr: 1.40
7. Trottier: 1.40
8. Lafleur: 1.39
9. Savard: 1.38
10. Yzerman: 1.34
note: I didn't include players who played <500.

What I am trying to show is how adding another eleven seasons to Gretzky's career hurts him when you're talking about PPG. Which should be apparent to everyone.

Yes, but this comparison is highly unfair to Orr (as it would be to anybody who played in Orr's time, and it would be even more unfair to players like Howe, Hull, Beliveau etc. who played during the 50s-60s). Gretzky played in the most wide open, highest scoring era ever. When 50 goal scorers were a dime a dozen.

Look at the average goals-per-game throughout the league during Orr's nine years:

66-67: 5.96
67-68: 5.58
68-69: 5.96
69-70: 5.81
70-71: 6.24
71-72: 6.13
72-73: 6.55
73-74: 6.39
74-75: 6.85

Now look at the GPG during Gretzky's first nine years:

79-80: 7.03
80-81: 7.69
81-82: 8.03
82-83: 7.73
83-84: 7.89
84-85: 7.77
85-86: 7.94
86-87: 7.34
87-88: 7.43

Scoring throughout the league during Gretzky's first nine years was 24% higher than in Orr's day. To be fair to Orr, we'd have to increase his total by 24% to account for the difference. This would put him at 1.74, third behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Which is about where I'd expect him, as a defenceman, to be. These three, in any order, were the three most dangerous players I've ever seen

There was a steady erosion in the quality of play due to rapid expansion during the late 60s-70s. Over 14 years, the league ballooned from 6 to 21 teams, and that was before the influx of American talent, and when the Iron Curtain kept the East Europeans off limits. Just before Gretzky's arrival, the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18, and suddenly kids were getting prime time duty on the blueline. Hell, I can remember Gretzky lighting it up one night at the Gardens, when the leafs had three 18 year -olds on defense (Boimstruck, Benning and McGill).

The effect of this showed on scoreboards all around the league, and long established records were obliterated. Certainly, that has to be taken into consideration when we look at Gretzky's scoring exploits. This is not to say that they weren't unbelievable, but they were inflated, just as Orr's (to a lesser extent) were compared to the pre-expansion days. If we don't acknowledge that, we'd have to accept that guys like Denis Maruk, Wayne Babych, Jacques Richard and Jimmy Carson were more dangerous than Howe, Hull and Mahovlich.

Last edited:

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008

Yeah, but it's fun.

And it's great going back in time and remembering just how great these guys were.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
For the first few years of Gretzky's prime, the Oilers were a worse team than Orr's Bruins. Esposito, for instance, was 7th in league scoring the year before he was traded to Boston. Tikkanen wasn't even on the team. Kurri, Messier, and Coffey were really nothing for Gretzky's first few years in the league.

I get that there is a valid reason to rank Orr over Gretzky, but some of these arguments are brutal. There is no need to diminish the greatness of Gretzky to push that of Orr.

When Gretzky's numbers really went off the charts in his 3rd year ('82), Messier had 50 goals, Anderson had 105 points, Coffey had 89 points, Kurri had 86. Hardly what I would call "really nothing".

I stand by my statement that Wayne had a better supporting cast than Bobby. Let's look at where The Hockey News ranked their respective mates (not that I believe THN's Top 100 was flawless, obviously :laugh:, but it's generally a good barometer):

#12: Messier
#18: Esposito
#28: Coffey
#45: Bucyk
#50: Kurri
#70: Fuhr

Glen Anderson, Kevin Lowe, Andy Moog, Esa Tikkanen, plus a tremendous cast of role players and thugs to provide toughness, checking etc... this was the definition of a stacked team.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Yes, but this comparison is highly unfair to Orr (as it would be to anybody who played in Orr's time, and it would be even more unfair to players like Howe, Hull, Beliveau etc. who played during the 50s-60s). Gretzky played in the most wide open, highest scoring era ever. When 50 goal scorers were a dime a dozen.

Look at the average goals-per-game throughout the league during Orr's nine years:

Scoring throughout the league during Gretzky's first nine years was 24% higher than in Orr's day. To be fair to Orr, we'd have to increase his total by 24% to account for the difference. This would put him at 1.74, third behind Gretzky and Lemieux. Which is about where I'd expect him, as a defenceman, to be. These three, in any order, were the three most dangerous players I've ever seen

There was a steady erosion in the quality of play due to rapid expansion during the late 60s-70s. Over 14 years, the league ballooned from 6 to 21 teams, and that was before the influx of American talent, and when the Iron Curtain kept the East Europeans off limits. Just before Gretzky's arrival, the draft age was lowered from 20 to 18, and suddenly kids were getting prime time duty on the blueline. Hell, I can remember Gretzky lighting it up one night at the Gardens, when the leafs had three 18 year -olds on defense (Boimstruck, Benning and McGill).

The effect of this showed on scoreboards all around the league, and long established records were obliterated. Certainly, that has to be taken into consideration when we look at Gretzky's scoring exploits. This is not to say that they weren't unbelievable, but they were inflated, just as Orr's (to a lesser extent) were compared to the pre-expansion days. If we don't acknowledge that, we'd have to accept that guys like Denis Maruk, Wayne Babych, Jacques Richard and Jimmy Carson were more dangerous than Howe, Hull and Mahovlich.

I Still think Orr is slightly better than Gretzky. But I don't subscribe to this, light years behind Orr, argument. Gretzky was my favourite player, though. But the more I read and watch of Gretzky, the more the gap between him and Orr narrows.

Maruk for a few years was great...then he just dropped off. Richard? Serious drug problems.

1970s equivilant? Why not Orr's teammate Ken Hodge?

I just think the Euro invasion of the mid 70s (right at the end of Orr's career) began the slide towards offence.

The Stasny's, Kurri, Naslund...many many more who were there in the 80s, would well have pushed the GPG up had they been playing in the 70s. They weren't, although Borje Salming, and Ivan Boldirev, were.

Yakushev, Shadrin, and Kharlamov, I believe the likes of them could have been 1000 point men in the NHL, no question.

Well so much for that page on Bobby Orr I well remember in the mid to late 90s claiming that there were, "TWICE as many goals scored in Gretzky's era than in Orrs". THANK YOU for posting that, clearing up that out and out exaggeration.

Notice how, though, that their is not much of a difference in GPG in 74/75 and in 79/80. INTERESTING! So we have 8.02 as the most for in Gretzky's prime and 5.58 as the fewest in Orr's prime. 67/68, the first year of expansion. None of the new teams finished with a record above .500 btw, and the record of new teams vs old? 40-86-18.

But back to 1979/80. Does anyone here remember that game in March at the Garden? Gretzky was two months past his 19 birthday.

AND

Ashby looked like pure gold, eh?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site

A nitpick:

Trottier "fell off a cliff" in his decline ONLY if one measures a player exclusively in terms of personal offensive stats.

In that regard, #19 did, indeed, decline bigtime.

But on this board at least, we're typically better than that. And its especially misguided to view arguably the most complete player of his generation in those terms. For his ability to contribute to a game in multiple ways, not just offensively, is what made him special.

And, after the prolific scoring stopped, it's what allowed him to re-invent himself as a key role player on the two-time Cup winning Pens.

quasi1981

Aug 2, 2010
Plenty of players would be ahead of Orr in PPG if you only count their first 12 seasons. Orr's playmaking, while one of the best ever, is still leagues behind Gretzky.... And obviously his goal scoring is far short.

Orr is not in this discussion on offense alone. Coffey is right there in the ballpark.

My friend, you obviously never saw Orr actually play. He was so amazing in his playmaking ability, flying up and down and all around the ice, he was only able to play in the deepest part of the offensive zone and make very quick plays, and he was traveling much much faster, quicker, and allusive than the G man, making plays even after falling on the ice with a feel for where everyone was on the ice.

Also, you don't lead the league 5 out of 6 years in assists, as a defenseman mind you, without being a great great playmaker.

The G one got to hang around behind and very close to the net to get all those points, and I am telling you, if Bobby could have had been able to hang around the goal all night, he would have scored a bundle, scored and assisted and able to be close to G in scoring and still be a great all around player.

quasi1981

Aug 2, 2010

bleeney, thanks, I just can't get over how seemingly Gretzky fans are all about stats, & all stats do is indicate possibilities, they are not the end all, as you hopefully showed.

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
Overrated? How can something that has only been done by one player in the history of the NHL be considered overrated? And never completed as far as a Selke/Art Ross combo.

I understand the point others are trying to make, but Gretzky doesn't show up on ANYBODYs list, ever, at any time whatsoever as a defensive or physical player, except in the NEGATIVE.

Points in Selke voting.....? Is it greater than zero?

Fights won? zero.

Helping teammate in fight? zero.

Blocked shots (intentionally, not by accident)? zero.

Open ice checks? zero that I remember.

Back checking? Has allowed the most goals against in NHL history, so maybe not so good.

I'm still trying to get over people saying that winning the Norris and Art Ross at the same time is overrated.
Then I hear....."Well if he won the Art Ross, then of course he's going to win the Norris"....ummmm.....a Dman won the Art Ross TWICE.

On top of this apparently every record Orr set has been broken or close to being broken....funny then, that I don't seem to recall any Dman even coming remotely close to taking home an Art Ross even once, let alone twice.

please read what I said again. maybe it will clear it up. yes it is mindblowing that he won the Art Ross (which of course Coffey was not even close to so I don´t see the point in bringing that up), but if you use it to show his offensive and defensive dominance you are overrating it. or you don´t understand what they are about. Mike Green could potentially win the Art Ross next year. I assure you he would also win the Norris if he did, even if he was still only average defensively.

Using the coaches poll about Orr being at the top for defensive defenders is much more interesting.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Would like to add some points to this after reading this thread. Being a relatively newer hockey fan who saw neither in their prime (since 97 - following the NHL was sort of hard here before the internet age), I find this board fascinating to read about the game's history. While I can't add a lot of judgement on the qualities of the older players, there's a few points I feel I could make to add to the discussion:

On the point of Orr winning the Art Ross and Norris in the same season, this is obviously an incredible feat that cannot be understated. It can be used as an argument to Orr being a wonderfully complete player. Yet I don't think it's a good argument to state that it means Orr was greater than Gretzky. First of all, you can't fault a forward for not winning an award he is unable to win. Secondly, there's just no comparison or forwards. The Selke trophy has been mentioned, and how Art Ross + Selke would equal Orr's feat, but has not been done before. (Reading about Bobby Clarke suggests he could have come very close, had the Selke been created sooner, though he never managed to win the scoring race and topped out at #2) However, I don't really think this is a fair comparison. The Selke is supposed to go to the best defensive forward, whereas the Art Ross goes to what statistically is the best offensive forward. Hence winning both would require to be both the best defensive and offensive forward at the same time. On the other hand, the Norris is awarded to the best overall defenseman. Since the offensive compenent of the game does figure in this decision, this is not quite the same. Art Ross + Norris requires a defenseman to be the best scorer, and best overall defenseman, rather than also be the best defensive defenseman.

Not to take away anything from Bobby Orr, who managed to achieve amazing things, but I just don't think it's an overly valid argument or comparison. In general, stating that Orr or Gretzky was better because of some unique feat the other didn't do seems a bit pointless. Both were immense players who did things nobody ever did before, and in many cases did not since. Orr did things Gretzky didn't do (and nobody else did), Gretzky also did some 61 things nobody else ever did.

Statistics always have to be seen in context, I agree with that. I'll also admit that I am fairly skeptical of adjusted stats, since while they might give ballpark figures here and there, they will invariably fail to take into account many factors, are highly susceptible to agendas, and may treat statistical outliers as a product of the era, rather than greatness. With that out of the way, some things to keep in mind when making the point above:
  • One of the posters here recently did some research and found that the portion of the scoring done by the top players in the 80s was relatively low compared to other eras. In other words, a lot of the beneficiaries of the extra scoring were the more average players, not the superstars. This does not mean the stars did not score more than they would have done during other decades and eras, but rather that the stars scoring did not go up by for example the 24% scoring difference you are suggesting, and just adjusting Orr's stats like this is not a valid concept.
  • Orr's Bruins were an extremely high-scoring team, which at times defeated the competition in scoring categories by a greater margin than Gretzky's Oilers. Both teams were extremely high scoring, far above the average of their time. Using averages to then analyze the performances of statistical outliers seems a bad idea.
  • To highlight my first point, consider the scoring leaders between 1970 (Orr's first big offensive season) and 1990. Since they are generally considered 'freaks of nature', I left out Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, to see how the 'normal' superstars did:

69-70: Phil Esposito, 99 (126 the year before)
    70-71: Phil Esposito, 152
    71-72: Phil Esposito, 133
    72-73: Phil Esposito, 130
    73-74: Phil Esposito, 145
    74-75: Phil Esposito, 127
    75-76: Guy Lafleur, 125
    76-77: Guy Lafleur, 136
    77-78: Guy Lafleur, 132
    78-79: Bryan Trottier, 134
    79-80: Marcel Dionne, 137
    80-81: Marcel Dionne, 135
    81-82: Mike Bossy, 147
    82-83: Peter Stastny, 124
    83-84: Paul Coffey, 126
    84-85: Jari Kurri, 135
    85-86: Paul Coffey, 138
    86-87: Jari Kurri, 108
    87-88: Denis Savard, 131
    88-89: Steve Yzerman, 155
    89-90: Mark Messier, 129

I'm not really in the mood to run ANOVA checks on those numbers to look for significance, but looking at that list suggests to me that the superstars not called Mario, Wayne or Bobby did not score significantly more during the 80s than during the 70s. (Another funny side product of this list is the suggestion that if not for Lemieux and Gretzky, Paul Coffey could have had 2 Art Ross trophies. Though I'll have to add the disclaimer that Coffey likely has less points without Gretzky, and was no Orr defensively from what I understand)
  • One thing one might argue from the above is that a lot of Esposito's stats were partially thanks to Orr. There is some merit to this, though on the other hand I doubt Bobby Orr's stats suffered from playing with Esposito either. (even if superstars typically will get their points despite the players they play with, as has been shown numerous times on this forum) Somewhat of a similar argument could be made for some of the Oilers appearing on this list. However I think the best conclusion which can be drawn from these statistics and the dominance of either team in total scoring and scoring leaders, is that these teams were exceptionally powerful offensive teams, which you cannot really compare or analyze using average statistics from an era. (Which is not to say scoring might be affected by an era, but to me analyzing an anomaly with the use of averages seems a faulty concept.)

In closing, I've seen a lot of arguments of Orr as a complete player being the main reason to be greater than Gretzky. Being a complete player is definitely a great asset to a team, but it's not the only way to win. Orr might have been great in more areas of the game than Gretzky, but on the other hand it seems Gretzky's dominance on offense exceeds any of Orr's individual dominances. In the end both were great players, and Orr's completeness is an admirable thing. But equaling being more complete with being greater is in my view not really a proper argument, since extreme dominance in less areas is another way to win, especially in a team game. In the end, both players managed to do this, leading their teams to multiple championships.

And finally, as I already indicated in my preamble, I can only acknowledge that both individuals were amazing players which are only rarely seen. I cannot make any judgement on who was the greater, but did want to pitch in with some points about the arguments some posters are trying to use to elevate one above the other.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Excellent post DutchLeafsFan

If you average out the Bruins goals for per game over those 9 years and the Oilers it ends up being 4.03 for the Bruins to 4.83 for the Oilers. Those teams were anything but average and in the Bruins case especially they were eating up a lot more than their fair share of the "average" during most seasons.

The Bruins peak over 5 goals for per game in 71 and the Oilers were over 5 for a few seasons in a row.

While the 4.03 to 4.83 is definitely a significant amount it is no where near the difference someone was saying was 24% earlier in this thread. The Bruins were scoring at 83% of the rate of the Oilers over that span of time.

The Oilers also had the benefit of playing some more games so their numbers just plain look bigger from that as well.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Interesting Points

Excellent post. Three of the issues you raise may be attributed to Bobby Orr in varying degrees.

Increase in Scoring. By the time Wayne Gretzky arrived in the NHL the trend to offensive defensemen had evolved completely. Combined with the slapshot, the whole offensive zone became a prime scoring area especially with Gretzky setting up behind the net. In the O6 era there was very little scoring from beyond the slot or the faceoff dots.These factors created additional open ice and scoring opportunities. Goaltending and defensive play requireded time to adjust but by the mid 1980's the trend started to reverse - Roy/Allaire changed goaltending while defenses started to catch-up.

18 Year Olds. 1974 draft introduced the 18 year olds but the trend started with Bobby Orr. After Orr there was a perception that the elite 18 or 19 year olds could play in the NHL - Denis Potvin, Gilbert Perreault, Guy Lafleur. In the late 1970's, first half of the 1980's the pendulum had swung to the other extreme - your example of the Leafs playing three 18 year old defensemen is very telling. By the mid/late 1980's the pendulum had started to swing back.

American Influence. Bobby Orr was the impetus behind the growth of hockey in New England. An era when arenas were built and registration in youth hockey boomed.Evident in the structure of the various US youth hockey teams from the era where the best player inevitably played defense. By the mid 1980's the impact was felt in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad