Organizational Moves (Front Office & Scouting)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a top 10 pick.

Of course he's made dozens and dozens of picks, but I think the Ras one is really the embodiment of his draft philosophy and whether he pans out as top 10 worthy is a metric we'll note.

I don't know, that draft may well end up looking like a weak draft overall which might impact opinions on it.

I think the Seider pick was more controversial/bold/polarizing, being perfectly honest.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So happy. Have been pretty vocal on here that I was really hoping Wright would be given the boot. His track record has been **** overall.

See ya!

Has it though?

2014 - Larkin. The rest are meh to crap, but Turgeon is still in the system and on verge of the NHL at all times.
2015 - Svechnikov... He's been hurt at inopportune times, so it's hard to read this pick. Rest aren't great, but to be fair, they only had two picks in the top 3 rounds.
2016 - Cholo looks good. Hronek looks real good. Larsson looks promising in net.
2017 - Yeah, this one was bad. Rasmussen does look like he could be good though.
2018 - Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren will make or break this class, but they look very promising.
2019 - Seider, Mastrosimone, Johansson, Tuomisto are the key pieces. If Seider is as advertised, I don't see how this is bad.

Wright's track record is fine. He seems to have gotten at least one NHLer or likely NHLer out of each draft and some of the failures are due to the player getting injured after the fact. His track record was not a fireable one.

E: I don't necessarily see what's so bad about the Rasmussen pick. The guy that 90% of people wanted instead has been a massive ball of back injuries that will likely prevent him from ever being that player that was so liked in juniors ever again.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
If they give the gig to Draper, I like that move. Drapes seems to know what to look for in prospects and every interview he does I find myself agreeing with what he says. Wright wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either imo.

Reactions: hkydave04

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know, that draft may well end up looking like a weak draft overall which might impact opinions on it.

I think the Seider pick was more controversial/bold/polarizing, being perfectly honest.

You may be right. The higher the pick, the more spotlight the pick takes on. Seider was a surprise, moreso than Ras, and selected a few slots sooner. Yzerman and Hakan best be right about that kid.

I'm having Scott Glennie, Jack Campbell, and Jamie Oleksiak flashbacks.

Reactions: PullHard

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
E: I don't necessarily see what's so bad about the Rasmussen pick. The guy that 90% of people wanted instead has been a massive ball of back injuries that will likely prevent him from ever being that player that was so liked in juniors ever again.

There was a very vocal group here, much larger than 10%, that was all in on Necas. I haven't seen anything yet to make me think we were wrong about that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

how much is the Seider pick really tied to Wright though? even though he was technically still around it was pretty clear he was kinda on the outs that draft

meanwhile the Rasmussen pick is linked to him about as clearly as anything could be

Reactions: jkutswings

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
The only solid picks on there we know are Zadina and Larkin. The rest are pretty much misses or borderline no matter how you spin it, with maybe Cholo still uncertain.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Has it though?

2014 - Larkin. The rest are meh to crap, but Turgeon is still in the system and on verge of the NHL at all times.
2015 - Svechnikov... He's been hurt at inopportune times, so it's hard to read this pick. Rest aren't great, but to be fair, they only had two picks in the top 3 rounds.
2016 - Cholo looks good. Hronek looks real good. Larsson looks promising in net.
2017 - Yeah, this one was bad. Rasmussen does look like he could be good though.
2018 - Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren will make or break this class, but they look very promising.
2019 - Seider, Mastrosimone, Johansson, Tuomisto are the key pieces. If Seider is as advertised, I don't see how this is bad.

Wright's track record is fine. He seems to have gotten at least one NHLer or likely NHLer out of each draft and some of the failures are due to the player getting injured after the fact. His track record was not a fireable one.

Also, maybe my memory is hazy but I remember pretty much this entire board losing their shit when we drafted Rasmussen. Not sure where you’re getting the 90% approval from.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly even aside from Necas I would still take Vilardi over Rasmussen even if I were picking today with how they both are now

the way I see it Rasmussen at this point is a pretty safe bet to be an NHLer but will never be anything more than a middle 6 Winger while Viladri may bust entirely but if he doesn't also still has a much higher ceiling

a middle 6 Winger really doesn't have much value for me

it's like asking if i'd rather have Ehn or Svechnikov except Ehn is a Winger and Svechnikov a Center so it's even more lopsided

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
The only solid picks on there we know are Zadina and Larkin. The rest are pretty much misses or borderline no matter how you spin it, with maybe Cholo still uncertain.
Hronek, is looking like a great pick, and Rasmussen as much as might not like it is was a solid pick. once he grows fully into his body he is going to be really hard to handle.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not a top 10 pick.

Of course he's made dozens and dozens of picks, but I think the Ras one is really the embodiment of his draft philosophy and whether he pans out as top 10 worthy is a metric we'll note.
Him being let go already tells you what you need to know about the Ras pick...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
how much is the Seider pick really tied to Wright though? even though he was technically still around it was pretty clear he was kinda on the outs that draft

meanwhile the Rasmussen pick is linked to him about as clearly as anything could be

Isn't the Director of Amateur Scouting tied to every pick during their tenure? I know Stevie had more time available than a usual GM because of stepping down from TB, but I imagine that dwarfs in comparison to the hours put in by Detroit's scouting staff. Wright was the guy overseeing those efforts until the time he left. At that point the work was already put in, so it would be stupid not to defer to him whether he intended on keeping him around or not.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

I don't understand how you can be so certain of this when most of them haven't even played a minute of pro hockey? I think most of us are pretty excited about Joe Veleno and the more I've seen of Seider in development camp, I'm excited about him as well. There are a ton of pieces to be excited about from these drafts. That's not to say all of them will be NHL regulars, but there are plenty of pieces with potential, I have a very difficult time believing the only "hits" from Wright drafts will end up being Larkin and Zadina. Also, putting Larkin, who's solidified himself as a legitimate #1C in the NHL when two seasons ago most of us thought maybe his rookie year was a flash in the pan, in the same category as a dude who has played 7 NHL games is an absolute joke.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I don't understand how you can be so certain of this when most of them haven't even played a minute of pro hockey? I think most of us are pretty excited about Joe Veleno and the more I've seen of Seider in development camp, I'm excited about him as well. There are a ton of pieces to be excited about from these drafts. That's not to say all of them will be NHL regulars, but there are plenty of pieces with potential, I have a very difficult time believing the only "hits" from Wright drafts will end up being Larkin and Zadina. Also, putting Larkin, who's solidified himself as a legitimate #1C in the NHL when two seasons ago most of us thought maybe his rookie year was a flash in the pan, in the same category as a dude who has played 7 NHL games is an absolute joke.

2018 is the best draft in recent memory, I agree. And yes, have high hopes for Veleno.

Everything prior to 2018 is either mediocre or worse.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Isn't the Director of Amateur Scouting tied to every pick during their tenure? I know Stevie had more time available than a usual GM because of stepping down from TB, but I imagine that dwarfs in comparison to the hours put in by Detroit's scouting staff. Wright was the guy overseeing those efforts until the time he left. At that point the work was already put in, so it would be stupid not to defer to him whether he intended on keeping him around or not.
On the otherhand it could be Wright was a lame duck the second Yzerman stepped in. Different team building philosophies leading to different drafting strategies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Has it though?

The 2017 draft was painful for me, but even still overall I would say Wright did at least an OK/solid job.

Mostly I am cool with this move because I am optimistic Draper can do better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On the otherhand it could be Wright was a lame duck the second Yzerman stepped in. Different team building philosophies leading to different drafting strategies.

I guess I am just looking at this logistically. You have your regionalized scouts, and then your Director oversees everything and compiles all the info to present to the GM. At least, this is how I have understood most teams to operate. So even if you wanted to cut Wright out of the picture, I don't see how you could.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Seems weird to me that he was still running the draft even though Yzerman and Wright both knew he'd be gone a few weeks later. Not complaining about it, just seems strange.

Reactions: hkydave04

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I had thought the scuttlebutt was that Wright had somebody else in mind at #6, but Yzerman overruled him and went with Seider anyway.

I like some of the picks made under Wright's watch, but overall I'm not at all upset to see him go.

Tyler's parting gift for Detroit can be to convince Kenny that Edmonton would rather have Rasmussen than Bouchard...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Not a top 10 pick.

I don't know, Larkin was a reach that was Helm with hands, known for his work ethic, 2 way game, and leadership.

If he busted, people would be leaping to make him the poster boy of Wright's failures.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I had thought the scuttlebutt was that Wright had somebody else in mind at #6, but Yzerman overruled him and went with Seider anyway.

Where did you see this? The only thing I have seen was that everyone was in agreement on taking Seider, including Wright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad