Opinion on Joshua Roy?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I don't think he's a sure thing at all. He's got legit hockey sense and good hands but that's about it. His skating, size, intensity and work ethic are unremarkable and unless he becomes a beast in the summer, that will prevent him from becoming a legit top 6 NHLer.

He does have upside but this is definitely a key year for him. He was on the right track last season but he definitely needs to be better than that.

This is an odd take.

I definitely have some questions about his skating - he's got an odd and inconsistent stride - but I have zero issue whatsoever with this intensity and work ethic.

I think the work ethic stuff was a true concern when he was a teenager, part of the reason he fell to the 5th round. Since going to Sherbrooke, I think the doubts regarding work ethic and intensity are long gone.

I mean hard to question his intensity with the performance he gave us at the WJC. Can he bring it more consistently? Sure, like most young players. But he's certainly capable to bring it.

He's skilled, hard working, and incredibly smart. Will he put it all together? I don't know, but I hope so.

Agreed, he is very engaged and strong on his skates. He will be a handful in the corners in a couple of years when he adds some man strength as his hands are exceptional as well as his puck protection skills.

... aaaaaaand once again Joshua Roy floated his way during camp, despite being given quality opportunities to begin with. He lost his spot to an AHL calibre player.

When asked about the cut, MSL pretty much said Roy didn't bring it during camp.

This isn't over for Roy but hopefully this is a wake up call to bring the consistency and urgency in his game that he is lacking (and that people above imagined he had, for reasons that escape me).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
he was an elite talent coming out of midget, who showed up out of shape and far from home in his 1st year in the Q. Thus he sucked in that first year, his draft year.
NHL teams made a decision (falsely) that he had attitude issues.
It wasn't a big reach for the habs to take a chance on him in the 5th, but you're right, more teams should be taking deeper dives into players and projecting their future value
i don't think any team has the ressources to do that for 300+ prospects every year. they filter before the deep dives.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
He was decent last year but not consistent. His skating is a big issue to me. It's enough of an issue that I can see it be the reason why he ends up an AHL superstar but not able to cut it in the NHL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
another massively overrated and overhyped habs prospect.
By casual fans? Yes because of his last name. Most fans on here rated him appropriately , has the capability to become a decent middle 6 winger. Not bad for a 5th round pick honestly, Unfortunately he didn't even make the team this year , yikes , still has time to get things together.

His issues seem to stem from off the ice more than on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad