Opinion on Joshua Roy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Joshua Roy is a prospect, and should probably be discussed on the prospects board, rather than on NHL Talk, which is for legit NHL stuff.

I don't think he's a sure thing at all. He's got legit hockey sense and good hands but that's about it. His skating, size, intensity and work ethic are unremarkable and unless he becomes a beast in the summer, that will prevent him from becoming a legit top 6 NHLer.

He does have upside but this is definitely a key year for him. He was on the right track last season but he definitely needs to be better than that.

Reactions: wickedwitch

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Only correct Lemieux is Mario

That is a slap in the face to one of the best goaltenders of all time, Denis Lemieux.

Joshua Roy is a prospect, and should probably be discussed on the prospects board, rather than on NHL Talk, which is for legit NHL stuff.

I don't think he's a sure thing at all. He's got legit hockey sense and good hands but that's about it. His skating, size, intensity and work ethic are unremarkable and unless he becomes a beast in the summer, that will prevent him from becoming a legit top 6 NHLer.

This is an odd take.

I definitely have some questions about his skating - he's got an odd and inconsistent stride - but I have zero issue whatsoever with this intensity and work ethic.

Reactions: Gustave and jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don’t know if it’s ever possible to make scouting into an exact science. Scouting is done by humans, and the players are humans too. It’s very hard to predict how each individual will turn out. So I don’t think it will ever be perfect.

Imagine if every guy drafted 1st overall in every draft has the best career, 2nd overall the 2nd best career, 3rd overall the 3rd best career, etc. That will never happen.
That would be super boring

He does have upside but this is definitely a key year for him. He was on the right track last season but he definitely needs to be better than that.
He needs better teammates too. He was fine considering his age and overall pro experience.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That is a slap in the face to one of the best goaltenders of all time, Denis Lemieux.

This is an odd take.

I definitely have some questions about his skating - he's got an odd and inconsistent stride - but I have zero issue whatsoever with this intensity and work ethic.
I think the work ethic stuff was a true concern when he was a teenager, part of the reason he fell to the 5th round. Since going to Sherbrooke, I think the doubts regarding work ethic and intensity are long gone.

I mean hard to question his intensity with the performance he gave us at the WJC. Can he bring it more consistently? Sure, like most young players. But he's certainly capable to bring it.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

This is an odd take.

Agreed, he is very engaged and strong on his skates. He will be a handful in the corners in a couple of years when he adds some man strength as his hands are exceptional as well as his puck protection skills.

Reactions: Gustave

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
It still blows my mind that he didn't get picked until the 5th round. Of course COVID played a massive part in this but his talent was clear as day and the Habs got an absolute steal.

Was praying the Rangers picked him up with one of our 3rd rounders. Great pick and wish him well

(Just not with the Habs :laugh:)

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Think he'll be a decent 2nd line caliber player for most of his career but likely 3RW on Montreal the way their depth chart is shaping up. I think he probably ends up with 40-45 points this season, gets some PK and PP time.

Feels like we're building towards a Newhook-Beck-Roy 3rd line in a couple years which I think could be among the best in the league

Reactions: viceroy

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
He's destined for a Hyundai endorsement.

images
Every time seeing this I'd think "Dear Hyundai, we spell it Roy".

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
We're wayy ahead of ya. Josh Wawa will be a stud.

I believe his name is spelt Joshwa Wa.

Good player that leaves you scratching your head how he fell to the 5th round and a little jealous.

Also I saw some stat recently that said the odds were often better on 5th Rnd Picks than 4th for some reason. Strange, I believe the Habs do better on 7ths than 6th's as well.

Same thing happened with Brendan Lemieux. Highly sought after draft pick until people found out his dad was the wrong Lemieux.

He's the son of my favourite Lemieux. That beautiful rat bastard.

I was gonna biatch about this but checked and he's only played 23 games in the NHL which means he's still a rookie and still eligible for the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad