Opinion on Joshua Roy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Good player that leaves you scratching your head how he fell to the 5th round and a little jealous.

Scouting really is still in it's infancy eh?

I don’t know if it’s ever possible to make scouting into an exact science. Scouting is done by humans, and the players are humans too. It’s very hard to predict how each individual will turn out. So I don’t think it will ever be perfect.

Imagine if every guy drafted 1st overall in every draft has the best career, 2nd overall the 2nd best career, 3rd overall the 3rd best career, etc. That will never happen.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Good player that leaves you scratching your head how he fell to the 5th round and a little jealous.

he was an elite talent coming out of midget, who showed up out of shape and far from home in his 1st year in the Q. Thus he sucked in that first year, his draft year.
NHL teams made a decision (falsely) that he had attitude issues.
It wasn't a big reach for the habs to take a chance on him in the 5th, but you're right, more teams should be taking deeper dives into players and projecting their future value

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
He's destined for a Hyundai endorsement.

images

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
I don’t know if it’s ever possible to make scouting into an exact science. Scouting is done by humans, and the players are humans too. It’s very hard to predict how each individual will turn out. So I don’t think it will ever be perfect.

Imagine if every guy drafted 1st overall in every draft has the best career, 2nd overall the 2nd best career, 3rd overall the 3rd best career, etc. That will never happen.
And even if souting was ''perfect'' there's still so much variables for how a 18 kid will develop, if players were drafted at 21 instead scouts would have a much better idea of the finished product.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am less optimistic as many here. His skating is average and he will have to compensate with effort + physicality to sustain a long NHL career otherwise he could be out of the NHL. He has offensive talent but I expect him to become a 30/40 pts player unless he gets 1st or 2nd PP which is not impossible.

Reactions: wetcoast

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

He fell so low because the seadogs didn’t utilize him as well as they could’ve. He was far from “the guy” on a middling team. Also he had proclaimed character issues as he demanded a trade from the sea dogs which imo was understandable with the fact that covid lockdowns were ridiculous and on top of everything he was not held as highly as he should’ve been to the coaching staff.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Son of a legend, he's gonna make it happen like fellow child of a legend Filip Forsberg

The problem is that he's actually the son of Derek Roy. People recently found out about this and its why he is no longer talked about.

Same thing happened with Brendan Lemieux. Highly sought after draft pick until people found out his dad was the wrong Lemieux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad