OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Bob stands in his the series and wins the Conn Smyth is he a HOF lock?
I think so

Many people argue he already is, even before this year's SCF appearance, but I don't think he's a lock.

If he wins the cup this year, Conn Smythe or not, he's a lock IMO. At that point it's just a question of first ballot or not. But I don't think he'll wait nearly decades like Barrasso and Vernon, who most of us never thought were going in until they were unexpectedly announced as inductees last year.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
The Deserve to Win Meter should make a special post-season appearance. :laugh:

1717904364505.png

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
We really dodged a bullet I feel. If the Rags ended up playing the Oilers they would've won the Cup. Stuart Skinner was not going to be good enough to win this series for Edm

It felt closer to disaster this year than 2014 even when they actually went to the Finals. Then I was 100% sure LA would beat them and they did. This year it REALLY looked like their year. I could easily see a similar Game 1 with Shesterkin stealing one like Bob just did for Fla

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Maybe I’m crazy but I feel like this is the most interesting final in a really long time. Even after one game, I’m still completely conflicted about who will win this thing. You’ve got a well rounded well constructed roster on one side, while the other side has one maybe two generational centers. Rarely do players of that caliber reach the final and fail, but also rarely does a team make the final two consecutive years and lose (I don’t think it’s ever happened in the nhl?).

Whoever loses it will really feel like they shouldn’t have. I don’t think that happens very often.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sort of reminds me of a Mike Tyson vs Bonecrusher Smith clip floating around...Smith throws like 15 or something consecutive punches and Mike slips every one and then proceeds to throw one hook that puts Smith on the canvas...

I've seen this clip like a half a dozen times on Instagram lately and I always think of the Deserve to Win Meter.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We really dodged a bullet I feel. If the Rags ended up playing the Oilers they would've won the Cup. Stuart Skinner was not going to be good enough to win this series for Edm

It felt closer to disaster this year than 2014 even when they actually went to the Finals. Then I was 100% sure LA would beat them and they did. This year it REALLY looked like their year. I could easily see a similar Game 1 with Shesterkin stealing one like Bob just did for Fla
Maybe, but conversely McDavid on the ice the same time as Trouba probably leads to some good chances for, for Edm.

And it's only one game. Wasn't too long ago guys were crushing Bob. Now he's on his way to the HOF.

Camille the Eel

I didn’t think it was gonna be that bad.

I think that’s almost accurately similar to what it looked like in favor of the Panthers after they lost to the Rangers in game 3.
Florida was very flat in their first game against Boston and got blown out. Lost game one against the Rangers too. So one thing we will see tomorrow is whether Edmonton will continue to outskate and out chance them or whether Florida will find their game.

Maurice’s comment to Emily Kaplan before the third period that they needed to “put more pressure on the puck” seemed not only short but accurate. They were much more even with Edmonton in the last period.

What we saw last night was also a product of them playing with the lead more or less all game (from early), sitting back and daring Edmonton to score one. Not the greatest way to play but in the end do you trust Skinner to stop even their counter attack and chances off of turnovers consistently? With the Nurse pairing in front of him?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't think they have an answer for McDavid and Draisaitl. Skinner's bad, Nurse/Ceci is a terrible pairing, but the Rangers don't have the personnel to limit those superstars. It would just be up to Shesterkin to do it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Florida was very flat in their first game against Boston and got blown out. Lost game one against the Rangers too. So one thing we will see tomorrow is whether Edmonton will continue to outskate and out chance them or whether Florida will find their game.

Maurice’s comment to Emily Kaplan before the third period that they needed to “put more pressure on the puck” seemed not only short but accurate. They were much more even with Edmonton in the last period.

What we saw last night was also a product of them playing with the lead more or less all game (from early), sitting back and daring Edmonton to score one. Not the greatest way to play but in the end do you trust Skinner to stop even their counter attack and chances off of turnovers consistently? With the Nurse pairing in front of him?
Agree with all of this. Just one minor nitpick. Florida actually did win game 1 against the Rangers. They shut them out and I think the final score was 3-0 with an empty net, just like this one. Although they weren’t at all outplayed in that game.

They did lose both games 2 and 3 though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don’t think they would have. I think the Oilers would have beaten the Rangers. The Rangers haven’t seen a team like this since they played us last year.

I could have scene scenarios where the Oilers got 5 or 6 past Igor, only for the Rangers to score 6 or 7 on Skinner and win anyway, but I think the Oilers win that.

I still think the Oilers may very well win this series. They’ve been down a game at some point in the last three rounds. They were down 2-1 against Dallas, 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 against Vancouver. They weren’t down against LA, but they did lose game 2 and were split in that series 1-1.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not going to say Nurse and Ceci have played well these playoffs, I really haven't watched them enough to know(I did see the puck going under Nurse's stick last night which is a bad look), but this does look like a situation where a defensive pairing plays difficult defensive minutes, and predictably, puts up lousy numbers.

For the playoffs, Nurse has a sub 40% offensive zone start. Conversely Bouchard, who has great on ice numbers is near 70%. Last night Nurse played less then one minute with McDavid, while Bouchard played over 15 minutes with McDavid. For the entirety of the playoffs McDavid has played 277 minutes with Bouchard, and less then 40 with Nurse and Ceci.

Nurse and Ceci have also each been on for zero PK goals against, granted they are the 2nd unit but they do average over 2 mpg per 60.

And this is not to say Nurse and Ceci would thrive if they were deployed in a similar fashion as Bouchard, but they would put up better on ice numbers then they have.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Just watched the highlights of the game thinking that Skinner would be to blame, but I don't think there was anything he could have done on the two goals he let in. On the other hand Bobrovsky had a monster game after almost gifting a goal to the Oilers.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I don’t think they would have. I think the Oilers would have beaten the Rangers. The Rangers haven’t seen a team like this since they played us last year.

I could have scene scenarios where the Oilers got 5 or 6 past Igor, only for the Rangers to score 6 or 7 on Skinner and win anyway, but I think the Oilers win that.

I still think the Oilers may very well win this series. They’ve been down a game at some point in the last three rounds. They were down 2-1 against Dallas, 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 against Vancouver. They weren’t down against LA, but they did lose game 2 and were split in that series 1-1.

It's possible, maybe I'm underrating Edm resilience and overall top end firepower. They've just played so many odd games this postseason. Tough to get a read on them as a team. Sometimes they play like the 1985 Oilers and others they get 10 shots on goal and win

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure where to put this, but I have to rant about something kind of hockey related.

So there's this guy on youtube I've been watching for many years now. He used to be good, but he's gotten a little too political in recent years. Calls people communists and marxists if they have certain beliefs or lean towards a particular side. He's still okay when he's not talking about stuff like that. You can tell he's a football fan, because he constantly talks about Brady and uses football metaphors in comparisons to real life events.

I've never heard him talk about hockey before recently, but I guess with the Panthers current run and last year's SCF (I believe he's out of South Florida on the east coast) he's probably getting exposed to it more from friends. Now he's using hockey metaphors sometimes and talking about the Stannnley Cup. Did the way I typed it emphasize the way he's pronouncing Stanley?

Every time he says that I just cringe like nails on the chalkboard. I feel like writing in the comments telling him to just stick to football metaphors and talking about football please.

Every time i have to hear about the Staaannnley Cup I just wanna smash this Staaannnnley Cup. Whatever it is.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not sure where to put this, but I have to rant about something kind of hockey related.

So there's this guy on youtube I've been watching for many years now. He used to be good, but he's gotten a little too political in recent years. Calls people communists and marxists if they have certain beliefs or lean towards a particular side. He's still okay when he's not talking about stuff like that. You can tell he's a football fan, because he constantly talks about Brady and uses football metaphors in comparisons to real life events.

I've never heard him talk about hockey before recently, but I guess with the Panthers current run and last year's SCF (I believe he's out of South Florida on the east coast) he's probably getting exposed to it more from friends. Now he's using hockey metaphors sometimes and talking about the Stannnley Cup. Did the way I typed it emphasize the way he's pronouncing Stanley?

Every time he says that I just cringe like nails on the chalkboard. I feel like writing in the comments telling him to just stick to football metaphors and talking about football please.

Every time i have to hear about the Staaannnley Cup I just wanna smash this Staaannnnley Cup. Whatever it is.
You can stop watching his videos. Why do that to yourself? Isn’t it bad enough that you had to watch Blackwood and then Vitek and now you are going to watch this guy? Don’t do that to yourself.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can stop watching his videos. Why do that to yourself? Isn’t it bad enough that you had to watch Blackwood and then Vitek and now you are going to watch this guy? Don’t do that to yourself.
He’s still useful, as long as he’s not triggered into going on a tangent, which unfortunately seems to happen once or twice per week.

And now Staahhnnn Lee Cup is another turn off.

If an actual hockey pundit or fan pronounced it like that I’d be much more forgiving and tolerant of this.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He’s still useful, as long as he’s not triggered into going on a tangent, which unfortunately seems to happen once or twice per week.

If an actual hockey pundit or fan pronounced it like that I’d be much more forgiving and tolerant of this.
*Points and laughs at BleeeeeeeedRed*

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sort of reminds me of a Mike Tyson vs Bonecrusher Smith clip floating around...Smith throws like 15 or something consecutive punches and Mike slips every one and then proceeds to throw one hook that puts Smith on the canvas...

I've seen this clip like a half a dozen times on Instagram lately and I always think of the Deserve to Win Meter.

Florida didn't slip any punches. They took them on the mouth. The punches just didn't have a lot of weight behind them.

Dylan9z9

LGD 2024-25
May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ

lol @ The Stan Lee Cup

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol @ The Stan Lee Cup
The way he says it is like some redneck dude who has never heard of the trophy and doesn't watch hockey would say it.

''DOOOO WUTTTTT? Whoever heard of a Stannnnlee Cup?"

He doesn't have a Southern accent, but he says it with a drawn out syllable in the Stan part of Stanley and it's really infuriating.

Again, if it was an actual hockey fan or someone pronouncing it like that I wouldn't shame them for saying it like that, but when a dude that doesn't know hockey and doesn't watch it starts talking about hockey trophies and championships, while butchering the pronunciation of the trophy..... Stick to football metaphors, guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad