OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It's enjoyable to root against some guys that aren't the obvious pest types. Parise, Zacha, Tavares, etc. Part of the game.

I appreciated what Zach did here - ZZ Pops were a joy to watch - but the whole contract drama was very NBA-ish and lame (triple that for Kovy as well). We're to blame for some of it but I much prefer the no BS way a guy like Taylor Hall handled things.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did I stutter?

For someone who shits on Kovalchuk as much as you, it's laughable that you would defend this guy.

Both of them were perennial losers who took as much money as they possibly could. f*** them.
Don't fool yourself...Kovalchuk was a reason Parise left.
Boston squeezes more out of their talent than the Canes do. They have essentially one great player and somehow he’s always on the ice and always has the puck in the offensive zone
Who is that one great player? Marchand, Pastrnak or McAvoy?

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
McAvoy is not a great player.

Not in the building of Makar, Fox, Hedman, Josi, Heiskanen, etc. Shrinks in the playoffs, which is impressive given his stature.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't fool yourself...Kovalchuk was a reason Parise left.
I'm sure it was, there's too much smoke for it not to be true.

But I don't understand why, because when asked (I think either in the post game of when we were eliminated in 2010 or on exit interview day) about him and his pending UFA status, he said he hopes it wasn't his last game here, and that he hopes we'd re-sign him because he can really help us.

I'm pretty sure I remember actually watching this, it wasn't even just something I read. I remember him almost making a plea to Lou to bring him back because he can help push us over the top, after all those years of going out in the first or second round.

I'm guessing maybe he just felt slighted that Kovalchuk got that big contract before they offered him one. But if that's the case, that's on Zach for being butt hurt over that, because Kovalchuk was a UFA that July 1st. Zach wasn't even a RFA until July 1st of 2011 and it was only on July 1st of 2010 that was even allowed to get a extension that was to begin the next season. Kovalchuk was free to take other offers from other teams for the very next season the same minute that Zach was free to sign an extension that begin a whole season later and one that he could ONLY get from us barring him being traded.

So of course Kovalchuk was going to take precedent over a guy that wasn't even RFA for one more 82 game season, when Kovalchuk could potentially sign somewhere else immediately.

If that's the kind of guy Zach is was, then I have no sympathy for him at all.

I could understand if he had a personal problem with Kovalchuk, but he did not at all appear to have an issue with Kovalchuk. He seemed to like him when they were teammates and was adamant about wanting him re-signed in 2010.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm sure it was, there's too much smoke for it not to be true.

But I don't understand why, because when asked (I think either in the post game of when we were eliminated in 2010 or on exit interview day) about him and his pending UFA status, he said he hopes it wasn't his last game here, and that he hopes we'd re-sign him because he can really help us.

I'm pretty sure I remember actually watching this, it wasn't even just something I read. I remember him almost making a plea to Lou to bring him back because he can help push us over the top, after all those years of going out in the first or second round.

I'm guessing maybe he just felt slighted that Kovalchuk got that big contract before they offered him one. But if that's the case, that's on Zach for being butt hurt over that, because Kovalchuk was a UFA that July 1st. Zach wasn't even a RFA until July 1st of 2011 and it was only on July 1st of 2010 that was even allowed to get a extension that was to begin the next season. Kovalchuk was free to take other offers from other teams for the very next season the same minute that Zach was free to sign an extension that begin a whole season later and one that he could ONLY get from us barring him being traded.

So of course Kovalchuk was going to take precedent over a guy that wasn't even RFA for one more 82 game season, when Kovalchuk could potentially sign somewhere else immediately.

If that's the kind of guy Zach is was, then I have no sympathy for him at all.

I could understand if he had a personal problem with Kovalchuk, but he did not at all appear to have an issue with Kovalchuk. He seemed to like him when they were teammates and was adamant about wanting him re-signed in 2010.
You actually believe what any players says when contracts and money are concerned?

It was revealed years later that he was talking to Suter about playing together during that regular season...his departure was planned way before 2012.

Two years before his dad was talking Zach finding a team that appreciates him....then he made the comment about Zach being a good fit with Rangers...in the summer of 2010 he fired his agent and hire Newport Sports who gotten recent huge RFA for their clients....it was so freaking obvious what was going on....none of what happened was organic...that summer of 2010 with the dog and pony show with the Kovalchuck contract was the end of Zach.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I mean I think McAvoy is great just not elite. Probably in the next tier of dmen. TBH I think Makar deserves a tier of his own so probably in the 3rd tier
To me, the reality of McAvoy is that he's in that Shea Theodore, Devon Toews territory of being a great complementary guy. I'd say even Doughty, Tanev or Slavin you saw have more of an impact than him these rounds.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You actually believe what any players says when contracts and money are concerned?

It was revealed years later that he was talking to Suter about playing together during that regular season...his departure was planned way before 2012.

Two years before his dad was talking Zach finding a team that appreciates him....then he made the comment about Zach being a good fit with Rangers...in the summer of 2010 he fired his agent and hire Newport Sports who gotten recent huge RFA for their clients....it was so freaking obvious what was going on....none of what happened was organic...that summer of 2010 with the dog and pony show with the Kovalchuck contract was the end of Zach.
I just don't understand WHY the Kovalchuk signing irritated him? Unless he just didn't like the guy and had a personal problem with him, I never thought he did. They seemed fine when they played together.

Zach could have been extended (a year before his contract ended) the same day as Kovalchuk became a UFA. Kovalchuk was more of a priority because he could have been taken by another team that summer. Zach couldn't have, not even via offer sheet, as his contract wasn't to expire until the next year.

So I understand why Kovalchuk took precedent at that point. Why couldn't both players play here?

If Zach was that mad about having another star player here than he's more of a spoiled prima donna than people even think he is.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just don't understand WHY the Kovalchuk signing irritated him? Unless he just didn't like the guy and had a personal problem with him, I never thought he did. They seemed fine when they played together.

Zach could have been extended (a year before his contract ended) the same day as Kovalchuk became a UFA. Kovalchuk was more of a priority because he could have been taken by another team that summer. Zach couldn't have, not even via offer sheet, as his contract wasn't to expire until the next year.

So I understand why Kovalchuk took precedent at that point. Why couldn't both players play here?

If Zach was that mad about having another star player here than he's more of a spoiled prima donna than people even think he is.

I think the whole thing upset his dad the most...at least he was vocal about it. JP made more than a few comments during the summer of 2010 and into 2011. He said things about Zach not being a priority on more than one occasions.

I don't think it was about having another star on the team...i think was more about taking a back seat and not being offered a deal at all.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the whole thing upset his dad the most...at least he was vocal about it. JP made more than a few comments during the summer of 2010 and into 2011. He said things about Zach not being a priority on more than one occasions.

I don't think it was about having another star on the team...i think was more about taking a back seat and not being offered a deal at all.
I'm not sure he would have been offered a deal with the way Lou did things back then. He never really gave players heading into RFA a deal a year before their RFA deal expires.

He did do it for Brodeur a couple of times back in 1997 and 2002 (I think), but even if he gave him a big deal in the summer of 2010, he wasn't gonna get it before Kovalchuk because Kovalchuk was unrestricted and Zach still had a year left to go before just being restricted. He couldn't have even been taken by another team via offer sheet at that point because his deal wasn't up until the next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fck Marty for giving up that super soft gwg
It was a bad goal, but Marty was probably our best player that series. He gave up two bad ones (which were identical) in game 7 though. One about a minute into the game and one with less than a minute left in the game.

That may have been his best playoff series between the 2003 finals and the 2012 ECF against the Rangers, besides the sweep against the Rangers in 2006.

That was a goal that Marty was prone to allowing. He allowed a goal like that early in game 7 of the 2003 ECF against Ottawa also. Bill Clement was going on about it even at the end of the game.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
There was the expectation that the season was going to be cancelled. If that happened, Zach was going to be paid $25mil before he even put on the Minnesota jersey.

The Wild's contracts for him and Suter were crazy stupid.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There was the expectation that the season was going to be cancelled. If that happened, Zach was going to be paid $25mil before he even put on the Minnesota jersey.

The Wild's contracts for him and Suter were crazy stupid.
I was just thinking of this earlier today and forgot to post about it, but can you imagine if he somehow started working for the Wild in some kind of role next season?

That's exactly who fans would love to have in the organization. One of the guy's that's handcuffing their cap situation next year, all the while being retired and now working for the team. That would be so annoying for Wild fans if that happened.

I wouldn't even allow him in the building or at least not publicly acknowledge that he's in the building until at least after next year. He might not get such a warm reaction if the team struggled next year lol.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Which brings me to one more Zach Parise question. What team would Zach Parise most be associated with? He was a Wild for longer than anything else, but his best seasons came in New Jersey. He only wound up playing 56 more regular season games with the Wild than he did with the Devils, despite being in Minnesota two years longer. Between a lockout shortened season, a covid shortened season, as well as probably being injured more/missing more games with injury there than he did here (even though he missed close to an entire season here, though he was pretty healthy the rest of the seasons here) he didn't wind up playing a whole hell of a lot more games there than he did here.

And somehow he managed to play 17 more playoff games here than he did in Minnesota and exactly half of his career playoffs games were played here, assuming this is it for him. Probably has something to do with Minnesota never getting past the second round and barely ever the first. I think this year was the first time he played in the second round in like a decade lol. His best seasons came in New Jersey both on a personal achievement level and a team achievement level.

He was a native Minnesotan and will probably stay living there, so I expect he'll still be around the Wild in his post playing days. Whether that's in a team employee role or just an alumni role.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vancouver being in the WCF gives the Rangers greater odds at the cup.

Because if Vancouver were to get through Dallas (I don't think will if they win this series) and the Rangers get through Florida, I don't see Vancouver ousting BOTH Dallas and the Rangers to win the cup. Not that I think they'll be ousting Dallas either without a whole lot of luck. And if they have that luck it will probably come back on them in the SCF.

Let's be serious, they're no Boston, but they're still probably the weakest of the 5 teams left.

I think both Edmonton and Dallas can take the Rangers if they come out of the East, but Edmonton needs to come out of this series first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad