OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They aren’t moving Marner if they don’t get the equivalent value of 1st round picks/high-end prospects in return. He has a high cap hit but he’s still one of the premier offensive players in the game. They aren’t just giving that away for middling assets.
Sure but I think the main part of the return will be a similarly situated NHL player or a fading top player. If you are NJ are giving up pick 10 and Mercer and Palat and a conditonal first for him? (Just hypothetically). For thr privilege of paying him about $12 mil per for the next 8 years after the upcoming season? At this point that really change the trajectory of the team? Maybe but I’m not seeing it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They’ll get a first in a deal for Marner. Maybe not a high first because he won’t move his NTC for a team picking in that spot, but they’ll get a first maybe two firsts.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
IMG_2973.jpeg

I think Marner’s trade value is going to be severely impacted by how much slower he was this season.

The black line is this regular season and the grey line is last regular season. His bursts over 20 mph is down significantly and his highest speed and distance traveled also suffered.

If he is impacted like this long term then you’re getting him next year at a high cap hit and then you have to fight for him as an UFA after or sign him to an extension before you know if his skating will return. Neither option seems like good risk management.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Tavares is definitely going and replaced with Stamkos in free agency.

That’s if Tampa won’t sign him. I’m pretty sure he wants to stay in Tampa and if he leaves it won’t be his choice. The Leafs will heavily pursue him.

Tavares out and Stamkos in almost feels like a culture change or shaking it up type move.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I fully expect the Leafs to also be another team searching for goaltending help.

Samsonov is done there and while Woll has played well when he has played, he seems to miss time with injuries a lot. I’m not sure if that’s been a thing going back years now, but it certainly was this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Marner for Seth Jones. Who says no?

Edit: Leafs say no. Just looked at the Jones contract again. I forgot how brutal that is. Chicago would have to retain.

If Chicago did retain $2 million - $3 million, though, I wonder.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
View attachment 865258

I think Marner’s trade value is going to be severely impacted by how much slower he was this season.

The black line is this regular season and the grey line is last regular season. His bursts over 20 mph is down significantly and his highest speed and distance traveled also suffered.

If he is impacted like this long term then you’re getting him next year at a high cap hit and then you have to fight for him as an UFA after or sign him to an extension before you know if his skating will return. Neither option seems like good risk management.
That has to be an injury thing no? He's too young to be slowing down to that level, right?

I assume he's still a really good player, but given his contract, his style of play, and the concerns regarding the skating slowdown you make note of, I just don't think he should be a target of ours.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think this was the last game Tavares played there.

I always thought it was weird that he was part of the “Core four” considering he’s so much older than the other 3 guys are.

I guess after signing him to a 7 year deal he automatically became part of the core though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I always thought it was weird that he was part of the “Core four” considering he’s so much older than the other 3 guys are.

I guess after signing him to a 7 year deal he automatically became part of the core though.
He has a full no move clause and buying out the last year of his contract would be pointless as it wouldn't save them a dime of cap space. He's back for at least a year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah Tavares will be back, better off biting the bullet for one more year than buying him out at this point. Marner will be the one that goes like all of you have said his trade value will be lower due to the NTC

I think Nazem Kadri is lighting up a cigar on the golf course today.

They really would've been better off letting him mature and keeping him vs. signing JT.

The thing is they shipped him off for Tyson f***ing Barrie, a team that's been lambasted for being a soft + inept defensively in the playoffs trading for Tyson Barrie is like giving a person with an addiction that same vice to exacerbate the situation lol

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He has a full no move clause and buying out the last year of his contract would be pointless as it wouldn't save them a dime of cap space. He's back for at least a year.
He can be told they will not be offering a contract next year. So he can move now or move a year from now and have a year from hell in the interim including being publicly stripped of the captaincy.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He can be told they will not be offering a contract next year. So he can move now or move a year from now and have a year from hell in the interim including being publicly stripped of the captaincy.

Tavares isn't going to be brought back, it's common knowledge. It's their best pathway to make a good team

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The obvious negative immediate and long term consequences of doing such a thing are why that has zero chance of happening.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Dubas completely squandered that rebuild…just horrible roster construction and cap allocation. And shanahan has been overseeing it all this whole time.

How do they still have such a weak D core after all this time? It’s the Shero school of team building.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Going to be an interesting post mortem in Toronto.

Abject misery being a fan of that team. We thought we had it bad lol.
our core hasn’t even proven to be playoff chokers yet

They aren’t shipping any of their core out unless they ask for a trade out. There’s zero chance they will get back equal value and I doubt they want draft picks

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dubas completely squandered that rebuild…just horrible roster construction and cap allocation. And shanahan has been overseeing it all this whole time.

How do they still have such a weak D core after all this time? It’s the Shero school of team building.
It’s hard to fault Toronto for picking Matthews and Marner and Nylander. All have performed well but somehow they have all contributed in various ways to the team not being cohesive in my view. Do they all demand tip top dollar and maybe come across as a bit selfish in other organizations? Hard to say. Was the mistake adding Tavares? They had some depth players this season but could not find a way to get over the playoff hurdle once again. If you move Marner and Tavares what next? You probably want to keep Nylander and Matthews so how do you get them appropriate teammates? Adding via UFA will probably cause similar problems. It’s tricky. They can’t just throw money at the problem since that is kind of sort of what got them to this point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
our core hasn’t even proven to be playoff chokers yet

They aren’t shipping any of their core out unless they ask for a trade out. There’s zero chance they will get back equal value and I doubt they want draft picks
Tavares is a UFA next summer. That big contract he signed in 2018 ends in 2025.

He should no longer be considered a core piece. Because even if he's there next year, I give it nearly a 100% chance that he won't be there in 2025-2026 when he needs a new contract.

I don't think they have any interest in re-signing a guy that's gonna be 35 right after his next contract starts, after he had been there for 7 years and they won (as of now) a single playoff round.

They'll keep their younger core members if I had to guess, but not Tavares. He's older and his contract has one more year left.

I also think they'd like to sign Stamkos. He's someone new, even though he's the same age as Tavares. Moving out Tavares and signing Stamkos seems like one of those hockey trades or moves that you don't see much anymore. Even though it wouldn't be a trade for Stamkos.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate to say it, but I think I wanna pick the Rangers to win this series. I just don't really have a deep trust of Carolina. They can beat a shit team like the Islanders with no problem. They can beat a good team with an ordinary goalie with not too big of a problem. I don't know if they could beat Igor. I HOPE they do, but I just don't know if I can pick them.

I still maintain if not for Raanta, they win the 2022 series in 6. Even if Raanta plays better in that game, the Rangers would have been out in 6. Raanta CHOKED that game away worse than Samsonov (Who I've been slandering since the playoffs started) did in any of the Leafs games this year.

With how rickety Andersen is, there's an off chance we see Raanta by the end of this series, but that's only if Kochetkov blows up or gets hurt after Andersen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I went 6 for 7 so far in the first round. Da;;as/Vegas still pending.

Picked Winnipeg (and instantly regretted it and changed to Colorado in 5 after they won game 2) and Nashville. I don't regret the Nashville one so much. Nashville vs Vancouver was a real crap shoot.

So I'm gonna say

Rangers in 7

Oilers in 5

Panthers in 6

Avalanche over whoever wins Golden Knights/Stars game 7 in 6. Maybe I'd say 7 against Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad