One Trick Pony players. Amazing at one thing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I remember my Canucks playing the Oilers in the late 2000s with Mathieu Garon in net.

He wasn't a great goaltender overall, but he was insanely flexible. Just absolutely elastic legs. He'd bust out the full-splits at least one per game.
This lead to him being insane in shootouts, iirc.

Speaking of shootouts: Rob Schremp.

A lot of guys who really fit the "one-trick pony" bill probably don't end up spending a lot of time in the NHL. Maybe somebody like Alexandre Giroux. Had a couple of years where he was scoring almost a goal per game in the AHL, but still couldn't crack an NHL roster.

How close do guys like Ryan Smyth or Tomas Holmstrom get?

Reactions: DaveG and nergish

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not sure how amazing he is, but Laine is barely an NHL player without his shot.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Kyle wellwood had some real nice hands and not much else from what I remember.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pierre-Luc Dubois and zone entries, believe it or not. Totally uncanny.

Trevor Lewis and being friends with Drew Doughty

Someone already mentioned Austin Wagner and yeah his straight line speed...watched him beat Karlsson and McDavid in particular by like half a stick length starting from behind them, it's insane. But then he skates right past the puck and to the locker room.

Reactions: knuck

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
Châteauguay
He was probably trying to parlay it into a coaching gig but sanity was finally somewhat restored when Bylsma was fired half a decade too late.

Now he has to slave away managing hedge funds. Everything about that guy screamed pompous d-bag. It’s no wonder he was known as the locker room narc.
I have no idea what you guys are referring to. I tried googling it and the only relevant result was this thread :laugh:

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
My memory might be incorrect, but IIRC, Matt Bartkowski was inexplicably good at either zone entries or skating the puck out of the dzone into the neutral zone(?). He was unable to tie any other skills to that one skill. He was passable in the dzone but he'd get brutally lost after entering the ozone. I seem to recall he was really good at zone entries which added to the frustration with him. He might have been borderline second pairing if he did tie any other skills to that one damn good skill?

256 games and 48 points is still pretty damn good for a 7 rounder though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad