OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Many of the kids I went to high school with that “self-identified” as cool drove these.
Was cooler than taking a bicycle to school...

hey VW Bugs and Vans were cool. Says I.

Lol. Man you really are a man of the 70s. I haven’t heard that “lady chasing” terminology for years. Ha ha.
Screw you, I'm speaking in code here. lol Now I'm in trouble..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went to school in a different time, in the 2005-2008 era.

All the kids either had a shitty eagle talon or a honda civic with a huge tail pipe that sounded like shit.
I was a bit earlier than you we did have the civics, but there was also the fox mustangs and pontiac fieros. And of course the poor suckers who would show up with their parents dodge caravans that would get abuse from friends about how their parents were having a ton of sex.

Definitely not like those movies with the muscle cars,small pickups or bronco/blazers with natural sounding muscle power.

Edit: Oh ya and the dodge neons and chevy cavaliers. Usually those were the girls who's daddy's bought them a car for their sweet 16.

By daddy I mean their actual father not the new meaning of daddy

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Was cooler than taking a bicycle to school...

hey VW Bugs and Vans were cool. Says I.

Screw you, I'm speaking in code here. lol Now I'm in trouble..
Did you ever own a VW?

I had a 1971 VW SuperBeetle with the 1600 cc engine that was restored. I bought it from a guy in a Sherwood Park in about 1990. Drove it as a summer daily for about 3 years. Then the fad wore out. It sat in storage for 4-5 more before I finally sold it.

Wife had a newer design Bug. We had it Arizona for a while but it was impractical for hauling people to the airport etc.. Fun driver though.

Had a friend that in the 1980s he owned a microbus, nicely redone. Those were neat vehicles. He was a snorkel, scuba guy and also owned a Hobie Catermaran, he did roofing all summer and spent winters camped on the Mexican baja hustling tourists to dive, sail etc.. I went sailing with him once here in Canada. Once. And just once. We flipped his catamaran on the lake in a heavy heavy wind, we were “cruising” and I never bailed out of my “diaper” in time to get clear of the boat as it was going over and was submerged into the water with the mast and sails of the boat pointed straight down and me in there too. Life flashed before my eyes and I said “not for me”. We had to dive down and release all the rigging so that we could then slowly upright the boat and sail home.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Waiting for one of the old timers to tell us they didn't have cars and had to walk uphill both ways in -35 temps.

Either that or they took their horse to school and had to feed it hay at lunch hour.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Waiting for one of the old timers to tell us they didn't have cars and had to walk uphill both ways in -35 temps.

Either that or they took their horse to school and had to feed it hay at lunch hour.

That was my mom. Horse and sleigh in the winter time. Walk in the summer. Back in the early 50s on the farm in southeastern Manitoba.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do you remember in 1976 there was a Torino Elite? My dad special ordered one, 400cubic inch and 4 barrel carb. I loved that car. I think my dad knew…

Loved those cars. Mine had the 351 Windsor racing 4bbl. I always wanted to slam a 427 Super Cobra Jet in it and paint it black with a silver Starsky and Hutch stripe and a giant grinning skull on the hood.

IMG_6674.jpeg

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Did you ever own a VW?

I had a 1971 VW SuperBeetle with the 1600 cc engine that was restored. I bought it from a guy in a Sherwood Park in about 1990. Drove it as a summer daily for about 3 years. Then the fad wore out. It sat in storage for 4-5 more before I finally sold it.

Wife had a newer design Bug. We had it Arizona for a while but it was impractical for hauling people to the airport etc.. Fun driver though.

Had a friend that in the 1980s he owned a microbus, nicely redone. Those were neat vehicles. He was a snorkel, scuba guy and also owned a Hobie Catermaran, he did roofing all summer and spent winters camped on the Mexican baja hustling tourists to dive, sail etc.. I went sailing with him once here in Canada. Once. And just once. We flipped his catamaran on the lake in a heavy heavy wind, we were “cruising” and I never bailed out of my “diaper” in time to get clear of the boat as it was going over and was submerged into the water with the mast and sails of the boat pointed straight down and me in there too. Life flashed before my eyes and I said “not for me”. We had to dive down and release all the rigging so that we could then slowly upright the boat and sail home.
One of my best friends is trying to get me out sailing, you're experience is what I fear. No thanks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Here's another one that nobody in a position of power seemed to be too concerned about. I'm sure we'll see him back on the streets in short order on the back of another not criminally responsible plea.

Suspect in Vancouver knife attack had been held in psychiatric care, court records show

A man charged with severing one man’s hand and killing another man in two knife attacks in downtown Vancouver this week had twice agreed with judges in recent years that he needed treatment for his mental-health problems.

Court records show Brendan McBride spent much of the last two years on probation after pleading guilty in 2022 to assault causing bodily harm in North Vancouver and again this spring to an assault charge stemming from an incident in White Rock, a suburb south of Vancouver, last fall. In both cases, judges ordered Mr. McBride to undergo psychiatric treatment and neither sent him to jail.

The court records do not specify what type of help he accessed or whether he was ever treated in an institution for his mental-health problems. The day before Wednesday morning’s knife attacks, Mr. McBride allegedly violated the terms of this probation by failing to check in with his probation officer in nearby Surrey, B.C., court documents filed after his arrest show.

On Thursday, Mr. McBride, 34, was charged with aggravated assault and second-degree murder.

The man now accused of murdering Francis David Laporte, 70, outside a popular civic theatre and severing the hand of a 56-year-old man had more than 60 interactions with police in and around Vancouver in recent years, according to Police Chief Adam Palmer. For privacy reasons, police are not releasing the name of the aggravated assault victim, who remains in hospital after undergoing surgery.

The police chief told reporters Wednesday that he believed the suspect was among the minority of people struggling with serious mental illness who needed to be forced into care.

Chief Palmer also bristled at the leniency afforded Mr. McBride by the criminal justice system, pointing out Mr. McBride’s probation orders were “quite light” without offering specifics and questioned why he had “some serious charges” stayed against him. Chief Palmer also alleged the suspect had a history of assaulting police officers and health care workers.

This April, Mr. McBride was sentenced by a B.C. Provincial Court justice in Surrey for the White Rock assault. The justice stayed his related charge of resisting or obstructing the local RCMP officer who tried to arrest him.

Mr. McBride could avoid being jailed, the judge ruled, as long as he agreed to nine conditions that included keeping the peace, giving his victim an apology letter and completing psychiatric treatment, with the possibility of living at a specialized facility, as directed by his probation officer.

Last year, he had been given a year’s probation by another judge in North Vancouver for assaulting a man there and Mr. McBride agreed to nine conditions that also included attending psychiatric outpatient therapy.

Concerns have been growing in cities across the country about public disorder, prompting calls for federal and provincial politicians to do something about repeat violent offenders and a mental-health crisis exacerbated by a toxic drug supply.

Involuntary care of those battling complex mental illnesses and addictions is increasingly being embraced by politicians in B.C. and Alberta as a model to help those in need as well as address public outrage over extreme poverty and disorder on some city streets.

In an investigation published last year, The Globe and Mail found there is no reliable tally of how many people across B.C. are responsible for repeated acts of random violence, but B.C. mayors estimated there are likely a couple hundred or more.

Matt Warren said he and Mr. McBride went to school together in North Vancouver and were close friends from early childhood up until around age 20. He said his friend was “always very paranoid, but never crazy,” in his view.

“He reached out a few times in his 20s to say he was being abused, being held against his wish,” Mr. Warren told The Globe and Mail. “He had reached out to me last November to ramble about the church, demons he was fighting and that God had let him down.”

In text messages shared with The Globe, Mr. McBride told his friend that month that he was “dealing with a spiritual conflict with god, the father of perhaps the devil.” He said he was on government disability, living in White Rock, and believed there was a “militant scheme” to torture him through surveillance and psychological torment. Mr. Warren responded in a message that Mr. McBride always had a friend in him, and to let him know how he could help.

Mr. Warren said he was shocked to learn of Wednesday’s attack.

“The Brendan I knew extremely well had a good heart and cared for people. Whatever he went through ... had clearly taken control of him,” he said. “I didn’t know he was directly a threat to anyone, but I also didn’t know who to call.”

• Wow
Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's another one that nobody in a position of power seemed to be too concerned about. I'm sure we'll see him back on the streets in short order on the back of another not criminally responsible plea.

Suspect in Vancouver knife attack had been held in psychiatric care, court records show
After they greyhound guy being out in 5 years I often wonder how some serial killers from years back would be treated nowadays

Nothing is anyones fault anymore. Waiting for gaudreaus murderer to pull the ptsd card and be out drunk again in a few years after getting “treatment”

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After they greyhound guy being out in 5 years I often wonder how some serial killers from years back would be treated nowadays

Nothing is anyones fault anymore. Waiting for gaudreaus murderer to pull the ptsd card and be out drunk again in a few years after getting “treatment”
Right after he finds religion in prison, or course.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

The BC suspect has had a long list of assaults, and multiple per year, and had "60 contacts with police in recent years" This suspect has also serially assaulted random strangers making him much more dangerous to the public (because his ongoing record is attacks against strangers than the Edmonton case, a man that has had 4 assaults documented his entire adult life and none against random strangers.

The BC suspect, due to records and information known is much more probable to assault regularly, and to strangers.

The Edmonton suspect had only assaulted people he knew and had been residing with.

Plus are you really comparing Alberta with catch and release BC where this sort of thing is endemic?

The BC suspect profile makes him a much greater risk to public. So I would certainly agree with you on this one that the risk to public was probable with respect to McBride.

So that people can have different views on respective cases given the case and profile information at hand.

The BC tragedy more avoidable because a much more justifiable case should have been built for retaining Mcbride in custody. Of course also because of the number and severity and continuity of his recent offences.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Did you ever own a VW?

Older Bro owned one. he had lol racing stripes on a VW bug. In the shape of white lightning. Was the funniest thing. Worse that he was the one that put the pinstripes on. I think without a hint of satire involved.

I always wanted a VW van but notoriously expensive and notoriously unavailable here and VW bus and Van new sales were discontinued here before most other markets. Would piss me off that you could still buy them in other countries, new, and not here.

Indeed all camper vans here are stupidly expensive whereas the same is affordable in Europe but nearly impossible to license and import here. sigh.

When I get really bored I might just buy a cube van and do my own conversion. Basically the only affordable way to obtain a campervan in Canada. I won't go as full hilt as some DIY. Would be more basic. Install a futon, build shelves, storage, Solar panels and inverter.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad