OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
why do they spend time and money sending trucks every week for compost bins? unless I'm the odd one, mine is usually about an eighth full - i think they could do every two weeks on these

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Historic Edmonton FB has been a gold mine lately

1723005870031.png

1723005886401.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
why do they spend time and money sending trucks every week for compost bins? unless I'm the odd one, mine is usually about an eighth full - i think they could do every two weeks on these

Of all the dumb things this City does, this is #1 by a mile for me. It's born from the depths of boardroom bureaucracy - "if we just don't pick up the garbage as much, people will be forced to recycle more and we'll all be happy AND saving the planet!!"

I have small kids and pets. There is no possible way to not have the black bin overflowing by about day 6 after pickup even if every morsel of recyclables and compostables made it into the other bins. The garbage men are complete dicks too. If the lid of the black bin is even slightly ajar they'll just skip your house.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more of an uproar about this. It's incredibly inconvenient and unsanitary for no reason other than the City thinks this will engineer people to magically produce less waste.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought the compost bins were picked up more to avoid wildlife from lurking around

Although K1984 is probably right

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Of all the dumb things this City does, this is #1 by a mile for me. It's born from the depths of boardroom bureaucracy - "if we just don't pick up the garbage as much, people will be forced to recycle more and we'll all be happy AND saving the planet!!"

I have small kids and pets. There is no possible way to not have the black bin overflowing by about day 6 after pickup even if every morsel of recyclables and compostables made it into the other bins. The garbage men are complete dicks too. If the lid of the black bin is even slightly ajar they'll just skip your house.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more of an uproar about this. It's incredibly inconvenient and unsanitary for no reason other than the City thinks this will engineer people to magically produce less waste.

I lived in Central Vancouver Island for a year where they charged you by the garbage bag for waste disposal. So as a result the home of the Green Party had trash dumped by every out of site ditch there was. A vacant lot behind some trees became an instant garbage dump. Yet they’d lecture me on being from evil oil polluting Alberta.

Reactions: oilers'72 and K1984

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
WestJet sure having a rough couple of months

They were already talking about how they were going to be lowering flights to gain clients back, but now with this latest issue from the Calgary storm they are really going to be losing people

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
AS a gardener and someone that does regular yard maintenance trimming trees hedges, weeding branches, looking after garden and such those things get filled up regularly. Mine is never less than half full. Maybe you're not streaming everything as well. that can go in the greenbins? Even any expired food or grain or any food not used goes in there. Just remove packaging. We eat a lot of fruit and veggies so theres always peels and stuff going in every day.

But even with lawn, If not mulching every time (gets too thick) you bag the grass and throw it in sometimes.

The compost bins get picked up every 2 weeks in the offseason, when there is no yard waste or garden waste etc.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I keep wondering where all the reusable bags that I don't need that I'm forced to buy will end up in the end.

I normally keep bags in my trunk now, but occasionally I'll forget to bring them back to the car necessitating purchase of another reusable bag if I need to pick some stuff up on the way home. Refuse to use the shitty paper bags with no handles that rip easily.

Wonder if the City has a genius plan to somehow make all the reusable bags magically disintegrate when they inevitably end up in people's trash?
I just keep a shitload of the bags in the back of the SUV thus never really running out. I have about 20 bags stuffed in there at any time and so if I use 5 and forget to replace them it would take a lot of forgetting to run out of available bags in the car.

Overall I prefer the fabric bags to the plastic ones. You end up with less bags, easier to pack, unload etc and the food isn't as squashed etc as with the stupid plastic bags. Its actually a change I haven't minded.

Even before stores were doing this Costco had those big bags they would sell. You'd buy a pack and get 2 large bags and one insulated bag for something like a few bucks. They were big enough thats all you would need for all your shopping. So much better than 10-20 plastic bags.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hey so on my laptop, I got kicked off my account about a month ago, and each time I try to log back in on it, a message pops up saying

"Security error occurred. please press back, refresh page, and try again"

Has something changed with the site?

Am I only allowed to be logged in with one device now??

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey so on my laptop, I got kicked off my account about a month ago, and each time I try to log back in on it, a message pops up saying

Post your issue here: Support

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I've had this before. What usually solves it is going to the home icon and signing in on "HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League" and not directly through a team specific board. If not, I would suggest something simple like deleting your browser and cookie history and trying again.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad