Post-Game Talk: On the back of a Chris Tanev OT goal, Vancouver defeats Minnesota in the play-in

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
i have a very eerie special feeling about this squad. a mix of kids and veterans with playoff pedigree that knows how to win. FOR ALL the FLAKE that us fans give ON beagle/sutter/erikksson because of their contracts. It's like benning knew what he was doing when he acquired these guys. regular season sure we can say oh they are expensive for the roles that they are in etc etc. But this is why Mr. jim Benning brought them in for. LEADERSHIP, contribute help the young kids out who have NO experience in these types of situations. I LOVE IT. today i was watching the Jt miller clip reading the lineups, can't help but have a big grin on my face this morning. its just a different VIBE. when tanev scored that GWG OT WINNER, and the guys came out of the bench like little KIDS, it felt right again. for all the disappointments that us fans have endured for the past 50 years. 94 heartbreak, 2011 even WORSE.. then missing the playoffs for 3-4 years and getting kicked in 2015 by the flames. THE REBUILT started in 2014 when jim got hired, drafting horvat was the beginning of a NEW ERA OF the vancouver Canucks. This 2020 squad during a unprecedented time with No fans in the stands, can really be the underdogs and do some serious damage. FYI, trading that unprotected First last year to tampa which is now new jersey's is WORTH IT. if vancouver keeps on going far that pick will just slip lower for the devils.

The pick is basically a non-factor now. Pick will be at worst 17th or so. Miller has already been far better than the odds on 17th, even in a decent draft.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Oilers as well. I think there was a rumor last year or the year before about them kicking tires on is availability via trade. Of all the teams I can think who need the help on D the Leafs and Oilers are at the top of the list.
Almost wonder if winning the lottery is a curse for them, you know Lafreniere is the BPA but you desperately need back end help.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I hear what you’re saying, but Loui is a winger, and his defensive responsibilities are far different than Stecher’s.
Sure I can agree with that to some extent but they're playing him in a 2nd line role plus PK time regardless, which shows that they think he's worthy of taking on those minutes when his offensive ability has crumbled with age. If he's used on the 2nd line but doesn't produce points commensurate to that role, doesn't that call their decision-making into question?

DecideFreedom

Mar 28, 2012
Your not alone, he was great. Haters gonna hate because Benning signed him. It's more important for them to have anything Benning does seen as a failure than ever admit he did something right.
Painting everyone with the same brush to fit a narrative just seems lazy. I am not taking a for or against Benning stance as all situations are fluid a opinions can change. I am not given to taking a stance and never changing my mind. Has Benning done some real good thing as GM? Yes! Has Benning made some real boneheaded mistakes while acting as our GM? Also yes. (Ridiculous that a stance on the GM is required before posting)

Have to agree with Bleach Clean here. While there are also parts of Myers game I appreciate and liked to see, there were many parts of his game I didn't.
Positive: his physicality seems to have come around. Negative: doesnt know how or when to be physical resulting in bad penalties.
Positive: has become more aggressive and involved in the play. Negative: doesnt read his coverage real well and ends up chasing the play and out of position.
Positive: has decided to become more involved offensively deep in the zone. Negative: doesnt have the stick handling, puck protection or offensive awareness to maintain possession in the offensive zone and often loses the puck resulting Being out of position.
Positive: good at carrying the puck out of the zone. Negative: holds on to the puck to long, for whatever reason and runs out of space often resulting in icings and turn overs.
While it was nice to see a big man being physical and intimidating the opposition I dont know if the net negative presence is worth it. We killed alot of penalties this series. I dont know if Myers gets as much love if Minny actually had a good PP.

Reactions: vanuck and MarkMM

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Almost wonder if winning the lottery is a curse for them, you know Lafreniere is the BPA but you desperately need back end help.
They can trade that pick down a few spots and get a top 10 first and a damn good D man as well. A ton of people would be prepared to do that the get LaF.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is insane??

Lafreniere with McDavid and Draisaitl would be unfair. And the Oil have a ton of D prospects coming up...Broberg Bouchard Jones and Bear are all tracking really good with Nurse and Klefbom still around and Larsson if they can get a deal done.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
This is insane??

Lafreniere with McDavid and Draisaitl would be unfair. And the Oil have a ton of D prospects coming up...Broberg Bouchard Jones and Bear are all tracking really good with Nurse and Klefbom still around and Larsson if they can get a deal done.

Yeah well how long have they been preaching their high octane offense draft picks.

Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagne, RNH, Yakupov, they were supposed to lead the Oilers to the promised land and everyone thought this team would be competing for Stanley Cups sooner rather than later, pretty much before McDavid was on the casual fan's radar. RNH is the only player left from that group.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is insane??

Broberg, and Bouchard are not tracking well. People like, JD Burke, believe both are very likely to be fringe NHL players at best. Broberg doesn’t think the game well enough, and Bouchard cant skate well enough. The Oilers are in serious trouble on the back end, and will need to trade a guy like Draisatl to help that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Broberg, and Bouchard are not tracking well. People like, JD Burke, believe both are very likely to be fringe NHL players at best. Broberg doesn’t think the game well enough, and Bouchard cant skate well enough. The Oilers are in serious trouble on the back end, and will need to trade a guy like Draisatl to help that.
From all the reports that I'm seeing, the Oilers are really happy with Broberg...Players like Makar and Hughes are definitely the exceptions, and not the rule...Most young D men need some seasoning in the minors first.

Philip Broberg has earned invitation to stay with Oilers this summer - Sportsnet.ca
Philip Broberg Turning Heads at Training Camp

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
On Myers - felt he had a largely strong series when he wasn’t in the penalty box.

But (and it’s a big but) if he keeps that parade to the box going against either Dallas or St. Louis, it’ll be a back breaker. He needs to play smarter. It won’t matter what he does on the ice if his lack of discipline puts this team in a hole.
Agreed, that Myers needs to reign in his discipline, but holy crap, some of those calls were marginal..It seemed like he was getting called for his over zealous-ness, the follow through after the hit?..or whatever...

'Two minutes for being too tall'...

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is insane??

yeah this narrative is getting old, if you can't win with the best player in the world and Draisaitl, its not your offence. Oilers can keep oilin'

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
From all the reports that I'm seeing, the Oilers are really happy with Broberg...Players like Makar and Hughes are definitely the exceptions, and not the rule...Most young D men need some seasoning in the minors first.

Philip Broberg has earned invitation to stay with Oilers this summer - Sportsnet.ca
Of course the Oilers will publiclyvsay they’re happy with their prospects. Said the same about Pool Party
Oilers Snapshots: Jesse Puljujarvi shows up ready to play

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
I agree with both MS and Bleach about Myers play.

His aggression and physicality were big assets in this series, but he was clearly over zealous about mucking it up. He made some good plays, he made some terrible plays.

He was super high event in both good and bad ways. Needs to learn when to let the rage out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad